Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
JRibknocker

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Convertible
Vinyl Wrap for Brake Calipers

Hey everyone, just looking for some feedback and/or opinions. Ive been researching options to put some color on my brake calipers and keep coming across "vinyl wrap". Im a little reluctant because I'm a little old school, but here are my concerns:
- The ratings say they hold up to heat (about 400 degrees), anyone had issues with excessive heat?
- The Youtube tutorials make it look & sound like application is simple.....is it really that painless?
-There are a number of manufacturers out there. Who, in your opinion, has the best product?

I'm hoping to get some honest, objective opinions from users and not necessarily from a manufacturers representative....but any and all information is appreciated.

Thanks, JR
JRibknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Powder coat or paint them.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
I ant imagine it holding up for very long , wrapping the compound curves would be difficult to do and have look good in my opinion. Vht caliper paint ... Cheap , easy , and looks powder coated ...
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I see 2 issues with vinyl:

1) There is no way it is durable enough to handle multiple heat cycles.
2) In addition to the compound curves mentioned above, vinyl will transfer through all imperfections/blemishes of the base surface. If it's not baby-butt smooth underneath, the vinyl may not fully adhere and will show all of the casting marks.

Like mentioned above, paint or powder coat. Neither one is particularly difficult or expensive.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
kyle@ridetech.com

Drives: 1969 SS/RS Camaro
They actually make vinyl wrap for brake calipers? That just sounds like all kinds of a bad idea....
kyle@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Do you not know that some of us have melted 1500* brake pads???
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I haven't even made vinyl decals for calipers, even though many people on this forum have used them on theirs. I just can't imagine vinyl holding up with heat cycles.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
JRibknocker

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Convertible
Yup, you all kinda have the same take on it that i did when i read about them. I watched the video on installing them and the dude made it look soooooo easy, even with the contours. Reminds me of when i watch Norm Abrahms on "New Yankee Workshop" and he makes it look like a 4 year old can do it. And when you try it, you wind up just buying the darn thing cause you ruined $100 worth of wood. Thanks for the opinions and verifying my concerns.....think I'll just powder coat them and be done with it. Thanks again and stay safe out there, JR
JRibknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
A single stop from 60mph will put the rotors in the 150-250 range. Several stops, a steep grade, or a little fun on a twisty road will put them 500+ easy.

Not too mention I would expect the vinyl would actually retain the heat and not allow the calibers to cool as quickly.

I would spend the money on powder coating as it will last the longest. Painting will work well (I've painted them in the past), but it will need to be redone every couple of years to keep them looking good. But it's your car, do as you please.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I am surprised the people who put vinyl letters on their calipers haven't melted them off. I saw one set from ebay that was supposedly "high temp" vinyl but it was Oracal 651. None of my vinyl suppliers have ever heard of hi temp vinyl.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote