Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #57
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Those two times have been hotly debated. First, the Corvette wasn't run in optimal conditions, and there have been accusations that Nissan fudged their numbers a bit, possibly shaving 6-10 seconds off what should be their real time. The most common of these accusations is that they didn't use stock tires.
i think the stock tire debate was proven true. when nissan took the GTR back to the ring to get the slightly quicker time they actually "added" an option for the 2010 JDM GTR for stickier tires from the 170k GTR
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #58
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Alright, I know the GT-R is a great performance supercar but some of you guys are on Nissan jock simply because it's not a Chevy. I'm not trying to take anything away from the GT-R's greatness, and it is great, but it doesn't dominate a z06 as some try to make it seem,...it can be compared to a z06 but it's performance isn't better or significantly worst. In a straight line, in any environment, street or track, a z06 would destroy a GT-R. It's ridiculously lighter, and has more power to weight.

Now around a track, it's debatable, the GT-R's AWD system keeps it's traction top notch and allow it to corner with great confidence as opposed to high horsepower rear wheel drive cars. On a track a GT-R and z06 would be a good match-up, it can go either way, with the advantage to the GTR. In a straight line, a GT-R cant compete with z06. Just look at the numbers. It's perfectly fine for Mustang owners to compare the 2011 Mustang to the 2011 Camaro and bring up weight difference vs performance, but when you bring up the GT-R vs z06 are we suppose to overlook those same objections?

The GTR weighs:3,829,.....with 485hp with 434lbs of torque. On paper, this is not enough to outperform a z06.

The Corvette Z06 weighs: 3,175 pounds with 505 horsepower and 470lbs of torque. It's the lightest of all the Corvettes within the Chevy lineup. With that in mind, are you really saying that a GT-R with simply it's AWD can out accelerate or perform a z06? If your answer is yes,...your ignorant. Of the line,- definitely but on a straight-away:forget it. Overall, the Z06 is the faster car.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #59
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Alright, I know the GT-R is a great performance supercar but some of you guys are on Nissan jock simply because it's not a Chevy. I'm not trying to take anything away from the GT-R's greatness, and it is great, but it doesn't dominate a z06 as some try to make it seem,...it can be compared to a z06 but it's performance isn't better or significantly worst. In a straight line, in any environment, street or track, a z06 would destroy a GT-R. It's ridiculously lighter, and has more power to weight.

Now around a track, it's debatable, the GT-R's AWD system keeps it's traction top notch and allow it to corner with great confidence as opposed to high horsepower rear wheel drive cars. On a track a GT-R and z06 would be a good match-up, it can go either way, with the advantage to the GTR. In a straight line, a GT-R cant compete with z06. Just look at the numbers. It's perfectly fine for Mustang owners to compare the 2011 Mustang to the 2011 Camaro and bring up weight difference vs performance, but when you bring up the GT-R vs z06 are we suppose to overlook those same objections?

The GTR weighs:3,829,.....with 485hp with 434lbs of torque. On paper, this is not enough to outperform a z06.

The Corvette Z06 weighs: 3,175 pounds with 505 horsepower and 470lbs of torque. It's the lightest of all the Corvettes within the Chevy lineup. With that in mind, are you really saying that a GT-R with simply it's AWD can out accelerate or perform a z06? If your answer is yes,...your ignorant. Of the line,- definitely but on a straight-away:forget it. Overall, the Z06 is the faster car.

indeed. one only needs to look at the trap speeds--- the z06 trap speeds are significantly higher than the gt-r. the z06 IS the faster car, it just needs to be properly driven to achieve said results.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #60
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPM1678 View Post
yea Im just used to calling it a skyline for some reason but I do mean the 09 nissan GTR
The current GTR was never known as the Skyline in any country. Ricers are to blame to mislabeling the two.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #61
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
I'd be happy with both, one is ultra high tech and the other is meat & potatoes BUFF.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #62
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
I was unaware that every Corvette has an exposed carbon fibre roof and a poly carbonate window in the hood.
There is a bigger difference between the GT500 and the regular GT Mustang than there is between the standard ZR1 and the base model Corvette. It has to do with having the same front fascia design in both while the GT500 has a radically different styled front fascia. It makes a big difference however you still have to be a car enthusiast to tell the difference between a GT500 and a regular GT. Now show somebody a Ford GT and they see exotic since it is not regularly available and rarely seen on the road. The Dodge Viper is an exotic looking car even though that is the most widely available one on the market in my opinion..
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #63
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
indeed. one only needs to look at the trap speeds--- the z06 trap speeds are significantly higher than the gt-r. the z06 IS the faster car, it just needs to be properly driven to achieve said results.
nobody denied the trap speeds of the z06, but when talking about an exotic like the GTR, trap speeds dont tell the whole story about how awsome that car is. Look at its Nurburgring time. That track favors cars that are fast and it STILL runs around it much quicker than the z06 even though that track has PLENTY long straight aways and long sweeping turns that favor cars like a z06 and zr1 (high HP RWD), that speaks volumes about the GTR chassis.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #64
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post

good thing cars aint raced on paper because then youd have an argument. Real world results show that the GTR produces more HP than advertised (or has probably the most efficient AWD driveline ever). the GTR does give up a few MPH vs the z06 but Exotic cars like the GTR should be judged based on more criteria than just going in a straight line or drag racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
There is a bigger difference between the GT500 and the regular GT Mustang than there is between the standard ZR1 and the base model Corvette. It has to do with having the same front fascia design in both while the GT500 has a radically different styled front fascia. It makes a big difference however you still have to be a car enthusiast to tell the difference between a GT500 and a regular GT. Now show somebody a Ford GT and they see exotic since it is not regularly available and rarely seen on the road. The Dodge Viper is an exotic looking car even though that is the most widely available one on the market in my opinion..
i agree!!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #65
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
nobody denied the trap speeds of the z06, but when talking about an exotic like the GTR, trap speeds dont tell the whole story about how awsome that car is. Look at its Nurburgring time. That track favors cars that are fast and it STILL runs around it much quicker than the z06 even though that track has PLENTY long straight aways and long sweeping turns that favor cars like a z06 and zr1 (high HP RWD), that speaks volumes about the GTR chassis.
I thought the 'ring was supposed to be a handling track, not a power track. Thats why automakers go there in the first place, to fine-tune the handling of their cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #66
DS1937
DS1937

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
To call the GTR "exotic looking" is a laugh. I guess it's an individuals taste but the GTR hurts my eyes! It looks like half the nose is missing. Just google "Nissan GTR service issues" and you will see exactly what you are getting. Normal 18,000 mile service is $2,000. Class action suit regarding the transmission and Nissan not covering many mechanical warranty issues. I would take a ZO6 anyday especially for less money. Forget about comparing it to a ZR1!
DS1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #67
big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
i'm not going to argue with the biggest troll here.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #68
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
i'm not going to argue with the biggest troll here.
no need for name calling or personal attacks, we are trying to discuss cars here. i dont appreciate the hostility.

Quote:
I thought the 'ring was supposed to be a handling track, not a power track. Thats why automakers go there in the first place, to fine-tune the handling of their cars.
of all the road courses ive seen, the Nurburgring favors the higher powered cars more than the others. It has long straightaways with sweeping turns and not very many directional changes (like quick left to right). Auto makers go there because it lets the cars "stretch its legs" yet it still provides a lot of variation (turns) and even different surface compounds.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #69
big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TROLL View Post
no need for name calling or personal attacks, we are trying to discuss cars here. i dont appreciate the hostility.
and i dont appreciate trolls. to each his own i guess.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #70
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
and i dont appreciate trolls. to each his own i guess.
Nothing he said was false. You're being offensive for no logical reason.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote