Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Does a supercharger void warranty or not?

I've read conflicting information about whether or not adding a supercharger voids the factory warranty. Does anyone have an official answer on this? I also read that there are some superchargers on the market that WILL NOT void the factory warranty, I find this hard to believe.

Does anyone have an idea of the cost for a supercharger including the labor cost to install it?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
69Firebird

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS LS3
Technically it only voids your warranty if it causes whatever you need fixed under warranty to break. So lets say your power windows stop working, the supercharger shouldn't void that, but I would imagine if anything in the power train broke they would not fix it due to the supercharger. All they have to say is the extra power caused it to break. So yes and no, if your engine blows with a supercharger on it don't expect any help from the dealer.

BUT, there are some places that will warranty your engine, outside the Factory Warranty, if they install your supercharger. I think you can get a supercharger installed for around 10 Grand....

Delivered 8/4/09: Black on Black 2SS/RS, LS3, CGM Stripes, Polished Upgrade

K&N Typhoon Intake, Stainless Works 3" Catback w/ S-Tube Turbo Mufflers
69Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
$10 GRAND!!! That's about $7K more than I thought it would be!! If it costs that much it's not likely I will be putting one on the car.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
LOL, a quality, full exhaust is 3 grand installed.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Pretty much your whole driveline warranty will be voided, and they will put a permanent note against your VIN. Some dealers will refuse to touch the car, too, even if it is a power window warranty. Some dealers are cool about it though, you just have to feel them out.

If you are planning on keeping the car for a while (100,000 miles worth) I wouldn't worry about it. If you plan on selling in a couple years, though, I would be careful - I think they can read thsoe tags on carfax too and it will hurt your resale.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
mwilkes

Drives: Twin Turbo Mustang
Send a message via Skype™ to mwilkes
Technically they (the dealer) has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem that you are trying to get warranted. They are not permitted to refuse service because of aftermarket parts that may be installed and the onus is on the dealership to prove the aftermarket part caused the issue. Don't get me wrong, they will try to get out of it, but if you know your rights you can have them do the right thing.

Look up the moss-magnison act for more info...

You will find that a supercharger will probably void your powertrain warranty but it wouldn't void other aspects of the warranty.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
If installed By a dealer (depending on the dealer of course) Some will cover it under warranty. Some SuperChargers Even come with a a Warranty that will Cover your Engine and Drivetrain (ProCharger, Vortech, Etc.) And yes factory installation Will be around 10,000.00 Or Upwards depending on what Setup you go with. The more difficult the more expensive it will be to install.
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Just remember that while the engine may be under warranty from the company doing the install, most likely the tranny and rearend will not be.

So you would be covered by the factory warranty for all things not related to the engine, the company installing the charger would be responsible for the engine and supercharger but the neither would provide coverage for the tranny or rearend if something broke there.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Well If set on low boost there shouldn't be any tranny problems. i'd up grade the tranny and rear before doing anything crazy ha (Common Sense)
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech 'Charged 06 Mustang GT
We've got you covered guys! Vortech offers a 3 Year, 36,000 mile powertrain warranty as an option with all of our complete systems purchased and installed through any of our Top Tier Installers. This warranty covers not just the engine, but transmission as well. That way, you can feel completely comfortable supercharging your new Camaro with a Vortech System once it is released.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
coolman

If gm comes out with an appoved supercharger that is put on by gm serivce people they might cover it. I know ford still makes the warranty good for the mustang gt with their smaller supercharger. They even warrranty the supercharger itself.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
I'd rather just install it myself? why pay an extra 4-5k for someone else to do it? your choice though.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
I'd rather just install it myself? why pay an extra 4-5k for someone else to do it? your choice though.
If I had to pay 4 to 5k for install I would do it myself as well.

Fortunately My install was no where near that and the dealer is covering my warranty and Magnusun gives a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty on the supercharger and drive train. As long as you don't mess with there programing. ( Tune)

My dealer Did LT headers, Exhaust ( Corsa w/ flow thru cats) and supercharger and airbox and all of thet combined wasn't 3 grands worth of installation labor.

Only 4 hours to do complete exhaust and headers. One day for blower install in labor. Had to wait a couple days to get ecm back but no labor for waiting!

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #14
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
Should of gotten a mustang, ford will install and warranty the supercharger. 435 hp. You can get a stripped gt for 21500 and 7000 for supercharger.
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote