Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #99
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
I would NEVER buy my kid, male or female, a car that makes 250 hp or more. NEVER. The problem is this: The frontal lobe of the brain is NOT developed. This crucial part of the brain allows people to think about consequences before acting. Most people don't acquire this ability until they are into their late 20's and on. Teenagers are constantly making stupid, boneheaded decisions (like we all did) like having unprotected sex w/o using birthcontrol, doing drugs, stealing, etc.) You really want to hand one of them a 300hp+ car? It's very irresponsible for a parent to do this. Read this article: http://www.actforyouth.net/documents...olbraindev.pdf
shit no wonder why i didnt give a **** about anything till a year ago.....
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #100
Grimmjow
6th Espada

Drives: 05 Mustang (Screaming Yellow)
Haha, loved the video of the 7 year old. That's awesome. He booked it to the garage!!

I'm more of a fan of someone putting their shoulder to the wheel, slaps shoulder, and earning their way rather than having top of the line items handed to them. Just my opinion. Didn't say the latter part was a horrible thing, but I always believed it's the journey of getting to your goal that was more rewarding than getting your goal handed to you.

Either way, let's just pray everyone is responsible and safe.

Sidenote Sticker89.... I sooo envy how much you make a month! LOL I commend you for living your dream to fill your pockets. I'm sickened how I work for a company and make minimal to fill the pockets of someone elses dream. I guess it could be worse.
Grimmjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #101
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
I don't think a kid should be driving a SS, imo. I get nervous with this car with the amont of HP. A V6 LT is ok though. Also, When I mean a kid I mean a 16yo brand new driver. Someone who is 19 or 20 I think have enough experience with driving to handle a SS. I think someone should be driving for at least 3 years before going into a SS.

I am an insurance agent and have seen too many horror stories. One of my clients was killed on that Taconic state pkwy accident in NY. So even experience drivers can get into accidents. Imagine a kid who is learning to drive and has a SS?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #102
cstproductions

Drives: Future 1LT IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
I don't think a kid should be driving a SS, imo. I get nervous with this car with the amont of HP. A V6 LT is ok though. Also, When I mean a kid I mean a 16yo brand new driver. Someone who is 19 or 20 I think have enough experience with driving to handle a SS. I think someone should be driving for at least 3 years before going into a SS.

I am an insurance agent and have seen too many horror stories. One of my clients was killed on that Taconic state pkwy accident in NY. So even experience drivers can get into accidents. Imagine a kid who is learning to drive and has a SS?
Im 16 and have driven an SS even though im getting a LT. But guess what? I handled it perfectly and the car and obviously me are alive and well! Crazy huh? Ive also driven my grandfathers viper and the same thing happened! Nothing! My point is not every teenager is the same, most teenagers on the road are new drivers but I have been driving things all my life and have enough experience to handle a high hp car. I have my drivers license, boaters license (required for jetskis), and will get my pilots license here in the next year or so. Even though I think age stereotyping is appropriate, it is not always neccessary.

cstproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #103
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstproductions View Post
Im 16 and have driven an SS even though im getting a LT. But guess what? I handled it perfectly and the car and obviously me are alive and well! Crazy huh? Ive also driven my grandfathers viper and the same thing happened! Nothing! My point is not every teenager is the same, most teenagers on the road are new drivers but I have been driving things all my life and have enough experience to handle a high hp car. I have my drivers license, boaters license (required for jetskis), and will get my pilots license here in the next year or so. Even though I think age stereotyping is appropriate, it is not always neccessary.
Coming from an insurance point of view, even though you fall into a different situation you are still going to be stereo-typed into that age 16 to 20 year old age bracket.

I am talking about the teens who want to show off their friends, do a little racing, and be reckless. Those are the kids who should not have a SS or even a LT, imo.

We insured one kid who's parents bought him a new BMW on his 16th B-day. He wrecked it not only once, but twice. Where is he now, he is 22 and serving 4 years in prison. lol. So yeah these are the kids that should not own a SS with 400+ HP.

So I hope you don't take offense because you could probably drive this Camaro better than me, lol.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #104
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
If you're old enough to fight for your country, you're a man.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #105
Ninja7

Drives: 1987 corvette 2008 corvette
I'm 23 and my dad is buying one for me... tee hee hee...Black 2ss with io interior. So im moving up from his 87 vette he gave me after he bought his 08 vette.

Last edited by Ninja7; 07-31-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Ninja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #106
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
Coming from an insurance point of view, even though you fall into a different situation you are still going to be stereo-typed into that age 16 to 20 year old age bracket.

I am talking about the teens who want to show off their friends, do a little racing, and be reckless. Those are the kids who should not have a SS or even a LT, imo.

We insured one kid who's parents bought him a new BMW on his 16th B-day. He wrecked it not only once, but twice. Where is he now, he is 22 and serving 4 years in prison. lol. So yeah these are the kids that should not own a SS with 400+ HP.

So I hope you don't take offense because you could probably drive this Camaro better than me, lol.

I am sure plenty of people of ALL ages will be doing that at some point in their SS. p.s. I am 21 and am buying a 2SS myself (as soon as it gets released from QC) aswell as insurance and plates (plates for only the summer months) and fuel. If anyone sees me and says "must be nice to have daddy buy you that car." I will lose it because I am really having to work hard for this car.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #107
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Heck back when I was in H.S. I had a 1992 Z/28 and a 1994 Z/28 I was responsible never had a ticket or any accidents I see no reason why teens should have enjoy the same privilege as I did. Our Student parking lot was full of Vetts, BMW’s, Porsche’s, A few Benz’s, and a few vipers. I really do not see why it bothers anyone when they see a 16 or 17 year old having a SS who the hell cares.
because people are jealous
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #108
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I read this thread and its annoying to hear people bicker. So what if a 16 year old gets the same car as you. If the kid gets in an accident his problem, Not yours. What he does with the car is his choice not yours. I'm sure you didn't buy a ss to just dirve 50mph with. So stop bickering if your going to be as stupid as the other person with a 426hp car.
First car i got was a r/t charger, then upgraded the shit out of that, then my second car was a srt8 challenger, now the ss camaro. Never got in an accident once, never got a ticket. it's all about the driver, and not the age. If some kid want's and ss and wants to pay for it out of pocket good for him, he worked harder then the average 30 year old buying one.
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #109
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwhiplash View Post
I read this thread and its annoying to hear people bicker. So what if a 16 year old gets the same car as you. If the kid gets in an accident his problem, Not yours. What he does with the car is his choice not yours. I'm sure you didn't buy a ss to just dirve 50mph with. So stop bickering if your going to be as stupid as the other person with a 426hp car.
First car i got was a r/t charger, then upgraded the shit out of that, then my second car was a srt8 challenger, now the ss camaro. Never got in an accident once, never got a ticket. it's all about the driver, and not the age. If some kid want's and ss and wants to pay for it out of pocket good for him, he worked harder then the average 30 year old buying one.
What if a 16 year old kid crashes into you in his new SS and it is his fault? would you care any more than if it was a 40 year old?
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #110
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
I'd advise against it. It's too much car for a new driver, first. Even if I believed every kid who posted here claiming to be responsible, I'd still tell them it's too much car. There's a difference between being responsible and being experienced.

Second, the V8 is a big purchase for someone in that age group. The basics should come first so that you're finances aren't all jacked up for a decade paying off unnecessary debt. You'll appreciate that sentiment when you're in your thirties with low/no debt, have a high disposable income, and are planning an early retirement. Even if someone else is helping you make the purchase, you'd be better off putting that money to use elsewhere.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #111
Moth

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS camaro
I'm 18 I drive an automatic v6 my dads smart an I wouldn't ask for better caus I don't think I'm experienced enough I think if your 25 you should get a ss but if u drove the v6 like me at age 18 it's understandable to get the v8 at 21. That when I'm getting a manual 2ss ha
Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #112
LightningSS

Drives: WAS '10 SS IBM, NOW '14 BRM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
I'd advise against it. It's too much car for a new driver, first. Even if I believed every kid who posted here claiming to be responsible, I'd still tell them it's too much car. There's a difference between being responsible and being experienced.

Second, the V8 is a big purchase for someone in that age group. The basics should come first so that you're finances aren't all jacked up for a decade paying off unnecessary debt. You'll appreciate that sentiment when you're in your thirties with low/no debt, have a high disposable income, and are planning an early retirement. Even if someone else is helping you make the purchase, you'd be better off putting that money to use elsewhere.
+1
LightningSS is offline   Reply With Quote