Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 AM   #57
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hot SS View Post
Im not being an ass, just stating my opinion. If you cant drive a stick without rolling back on a hill then you should not own one until you learn.

Yes people get on your ass, you have to learn how to hold the car with the clutch. And if youre REALLY nervous, a quick E-brake use should do the trick. No need to have some factory installed assist.
You do realize your self contradicting your self. You Should not own a manuel till your learn? How the hell are you supposed to learn with out owning one.
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #58
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
wow i can't believe some still can't see friendly ribbing, people its the internet look at it with your rose color glasses on(or how ever the saying goes)yall get bent out of shape and fill the forum with the same thing 20 other people just said. which just gets the thread off topic and a negative ambiance.
You are correct, my applogies
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #59
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Im not being an ass, just stating my opinion. If you cant drive a stick without rolling back on a hill then you should not own one until you learn.

Yes people get on your ass, you have to learn how to hold the car with the clutch. And if youre REALLY nervous, a quick E-brake use should do the trick. No need to have some factory installed assist.
i agree.. you could of said it more nicely in the first place... but if your driving clutch, you should be able to not ever roll back, unless your driving up a freakin mountain and u roll back for half a second at most...

if you have problems, just find a steep hill with no cars on it and practice... no big deal
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #60
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughman View Post
I agree! Everyone is a drag stripper and tranny pro on the internet right? Come on guys.

WOW
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #61
2010cantwait
not waiting anymore

Drives: vehicles
Quote:

No need for anti-lock brakes, either. How 'bout OnStar? IDK.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #62
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Man this place is starting to get unpleasant again. Hey bashers, guess what, there is a real person on the other end of that post. You're not simply responding to some electronic message. An actual person wrote that. Would you speak to a person like that to their face?

I can drive a manual transmission, but I've only done it on one day, first driving my wife's cousin's Toyota truck, then his dad's BMW. There were no hills in the area at the time, so I didn't get any practice starting out on a hill sadly, but I do know enough that I could buy a manual-equipped car and be able to drive it well enough, and eventually get pretty good at it. I'd really appreciate having that feature while I was still mastering hill starts if someone came up right behind me. I'd also love to be able to turn it off in other instances so that I could master it on my own.

And not every person can be a stick-shift master in one try. I was able to learn in just a few minutes; I wasn't smooth, but I could start consistently without stalling. My wife took a couple days, and it still wasn't very comfortable for her after that. It just clicks with some people and not with others.

Also, another person said to just heel-toe it, but the problem is the Camaro's pedal placement makes this near impossible for anyone with smaller feet. I have a shoe size of 9 1/2, so this method might not work so well for me.
Europeans who drive 99% stick in hilly country use the emergency brake on hills, leaving just the clutch and gas pedal to play with. Once they start to engage the clutch, they release the hand brake. Seems to work well for them. Just another view point.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #63
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
My first two cars were manuals and I was taught to NEVER hold the car on a hill with the clutch, that is doing it wrong.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/youngd...0/article.html

Myth #2: Use the clutch to hold your car in place on steep hills.
If you're stopped on a slight incline you must use the brake to keep the car from rolling backward. If you're worried about rolling back between the time you release the brake pedal and engage the clutch you can "cheat" by pulling the emergency brake. Don't fully apply the E-brake unless you're on a really steep hill. Instead, just use enough E-brake to keep the car from rolling backward. Then engage the clutch when traffic allows and pull away from the stop, being sure to release the E-brake as soon as you start moving forward. The most important rule, however, is never use the clutch to hold your car in place while waiting on an incline. Doing this will burn out that imaginary red light on the dash — as well as really burn out the clutch.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #64
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
WHAT YOU TALKIN ABOUT WILLIS!!!
Attachment 43567

I love this place!!!
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote