Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #71
jdanza

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS VR-BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Shift.
lol
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #72
DallasRetro

Drives: 03 VTX/05 Silverado/08 Infinit
Send a message via Yahoo to DallasRetro
Some people may need to have an automatic trans.
4000 - 09/30/2009 | 5000 - 10/15/2009 | 6000 - 00/00/2009
Went to pick it up 10/16/09... wrong interior; I'll be re-ordering!
DallasRetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #73
djpheer

Drives: 08 Civic SI
Is this a joke? Seriously? You really think since the tach goes to 9K you should go anywhere near that? LOL. Then you state "they run these motors at that all day". No, they don't. They run them at redline; which is exactly where you should be shifting. This puts you right back in the powerband following your shift for optimal performance. You got dusted for not knowing how to drive and bouncing off the rev limiter, not because of an issue with the car. It's there for a reason; to prevent engine damage from people like you. Jeez.
djpheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #74
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpheer View Post
Is this a joke? Seriously? You really think since the tach goes to 9K you should go anywhere near that? LOL. Then you state "they run these motors at that all day". No, they don't. They run them at redline; which is exactly where you should be shifting. This puts you right back in the powerband following your shift for optimal performance. You got dusted for not knowing how to drive and bouncing off the rev limiter, not because of an issue with the car. It's there for a reason; to prevent engine damage from people like you. Jeez.
You took it way out of content ..... He's not saying take it to 9k because the tach goes that high..... He is just stating like some of us old schoolers, we shift by sound and don't watch the the tach. And to him the limiter is kicking in before he hit his sweet spot for shifting. He just wants to be able to add a few hundred RPM to the limiter. You will probably find some old timers that don't use the clutch when shifting either.... Use it out of the whole only ....
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #75
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You took it way out of content ..... He's not saying take it to 9k because the tach goes that high..... He is just stating like some of us old schoolers, we shift by sound and don't watch the the tach. And to him the limiter is kicking in before he hit his sweet spot for shifting. He just wants to be able to add a few hundred RPM to the limiter. You will probably find some old timers that don't use the clutch when shifting either.... Use it out of the whole only ....
Don't bother man....they don't get it.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #76
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Most of these people posting useless crap like "lol wut" and "shift" don't know shit about power shifting without staring at a tach. I would dearly love to bump the rev limiter up 200-400 RPM, I've been having the same issue as old-fart. There is no room for even a minor error with the current limiter. If you're a fraction of a second late or slow with your shift when power shifting at the top of the band, the damn limiter cuts in, the car lurches, and by the time it recovers whatever was beside you is now out in front somewhere...
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #77
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
Most of these people posting useless crap like "lol wut" and "shift" don't know shit about power shifting without staring at a tach. I would dearly love to bump the rev limiter up 200-400 RPM, I've been having the same issue as old-fart. There is no room for even a minor error with the current limiter. If you're a fraction of a second late or slow with your shift when power shifting at the top of the band, the damn limiter cuts in, the car lurches, and by the time it recovers whatever was beside you is now out in front somewhere...
Forget it man, they don't understand the concept of power shifting or how it keeps you in the powerband. Take any of them out to the track and ask them to powershift their car and see what happens....
Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #78
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Forget it man, they don't understand the concept of power shifting or how it keeps you in the powerband. Take any of them out to the track and ask them to powershift their car and see what happens....
Probably the same thing that happened when I tried to show my wife how to powershift...

Hit the rev limiter hard, then freak out and stop.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #79
bdg

Drives: 2010 camaro
If you drive a car enough you can shift it by sound. You know from the amount of time and the sound of the engine when to shift (well I guess some people can).

To the guy that started the thread. If you think you lost the race because of the car you are mistaken. Most likely you were out driven by the other more experienced driver.
bdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #80
djpheer

Ive power shifted all my recent vehicles when racing, never did i hit the rev limiter while doing this. If you are fast and shift at redline you won't. I dont understand what the hell you guys defending him are talking about. Obviously the stated shift points by the engineers are what is going to put the car in it's sweet spot when you get into the next gear. Believe what you want however.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #81
djpheer

Quote:
Adding a few RPM with a tune is fine... maybe increase it 200-500 rpm but from the way he spoke in his post he was speaking in the 1000+ over redline range.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #82
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
I shift by sound, speed shift and sometimes pull out of gear without depressing the clutch........never shifted without the clutch in my car but have in others though.

The more important issue is how the car is geared.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #83
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
I was going to post about a rev limiter issue I have but this will probably do here. So I noticed last week when I was trying to rev it in neutral it wouldn't go above 4,000 rpms. I have a 2LT Automatic. The thing is I was able to rev my engine the week prior to at least 6,000 rpms.. It's currently in the shop for an oil change and I told them to look into this. The dealer called me and said it has a rev limiter on it and there is nothing they can do. But what I don't get is why was I able to rev it to higher rpms the week prior??? Anyone else here with a V6 automatic able to rev past 4,000 rpms??
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #84
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
When you revved it higher, were you in neutral or in gear? Plenty of cars lower the limit while in neutral.

Was it warmed up or cold? I imagine it could be programmed that way.

Was it just started or had you driven around? My VW won't go above 3000 the first time you step on the gas after starting it (whether cold or warm), but once you rev it up and let it fall again it's fine.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote