Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #57
rex113

Drives: 2010 2ss silver/cyb
Maybe this is how the Mole is marking his cars I remember someone asking him to leave some evidence behind.
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #58
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
he said it was in the contract that they could not do that. so still waiting for someone in the know to answer it must be some reason.
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #59
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Subscribed...curious to see how this one turns out...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #60
romli

Drives: Holden G8 GT
They're probably intended to be one of these:

romli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #61
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
If the weights have any real purpose, it is probably something to do with vibration.
Or else GM is looking for a way to dispose of a bunch of lead so they don't have to pay to get rid of it !!
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #62
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
40+ years of working on my cars and plenty years of checking out other people's cars and NEVER saw or heard of something like this. Someone on the line with a "different" sense of humor?
Can't wait for the answer to this one....
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #63
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
If the weights have any real purpose, it is probably something to do with vibration.
Or else GM is looking for a way to dispose of a bunch of lead so they don't have to pay to get rid of it !!
If this were a motorcycle I would agree, but hard to believe that GM has gone to such great attention to detail.....

Subscribed...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #64
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I bet the first run of cars are being held up....JUST TO PUT THESE ON! Now that makes some sense.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #65
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Ug, its pretty obvious what they are for. I decided to illustrate it with the drawing below...

(if you need more detail just ask)
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #66
Teleplayer

I have it from a good source that this is a special "abuse telltale" indicator which was required by Brembo.

Apparently early on when GM wanted to get Brembo to help with the design, there was some resistance because of the notorious way that Camaro drivers like to drive their cars - to the absolute limit. And Brembo did not want to be on the hook for warranty work in the case where the brakes were abused. So part of the deal was for GM to develop a system which would detect any excessive abuse of the braking system.

Now as we all know, GM is hanging by a thread, and well they sort of forgot about this agreement until the last minute. Rather than delay the release of the car and spend all sorts of $$ on development, they came up with this ingenious last-minute fix.

If a hard stop is made from any speed above 140 MPH, the lead weights will melt, thereby indicating abuse of the system.

I have also heard that production has slowed due to a shortage of wheel weights.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #67
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
what a crock of (*&*^. . . visually this looks horrible. . .
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #68
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
I have it from a good source that this is a special "abuse telltale" indicator which was required by Brembo.

Apparently early on when GM wanted to get Brembo to help with the design, there was some resistance because of the notorious way that Camaro drivers like to drive their cars - to the absolute limit. And Brembo did not want to be on the hook for warranty work in the case where the brakes were abused. So part of the deal was for GM to develop a system which would detect any excessive abuse of the braking system.

Now as we all know, GM is hanging by a thread, and well they sort of forgot about this agreement until the last minute. Rather than delay the release of the car and spend all sorts of $$ on development, they came up with this ingenious last-minute fix.

If a hard stop is made from any speed above 140 MPH, the lead weights will melt, thereby indicating abuse of the system.

I have also heard that production has slowed due to a shortage of wheel weights.

This may be the best urban legend ever created. I'm not saying your wrong but lead melts at 621.43 °F. I really don't think stopping at 140MPH would create that type of heat. Even if it did get that hot there would be no need for the lead because all kinds of other stuff would be melted for sure...

For the real answer look at my post, its 3 up....
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #69
Teleplayer

Actually 621 degrees F is nothing for brakes. A rotor can turn red hot with a hard stop, and for steel that is about 1500 deg. F at a color called "full cherry red". Don't EVER go up to a car and touch the rotor with your finger, because if the brake was recently used, you will leave the end of your fingertip on the rotor.

By the way, this is the reason the spare tire does not fit the SS model.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #70
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I looked it up in the service manual and those are the brake shunts.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote