Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Anniversary at Laguna Seca

So I live in Florida. 21 years old. My girlfriend and I both have track edition cars ( my 1LE her genesis R-Spec V6) and we are looking to make the drive to Cali with a rental SUV pulling my car in a trailer. It's my first ever auto cross, normally I drag race. Any info I should know ? I'm currently looking for a safety bar/6 point harness/helmet/with OEM seats. That's what I'm looking to add to the car to make it track ready any other recommendations or info on this track/things I should need would be appreciated. It's a 6000 MILE journey but we are up to it.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Cool! Are you doing an autocross or the Laguna Seca road course?
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Cool! Are you doing an autocross or the Laguna Seca road course?
Road course any info is appreciated
Old 06-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
So I live in Florida. 21 years old. My girlfriend and I both have track edition cars ( my 1LE her genesis R-Spec V6) and we are looking to make the drive to Cali with a rental SUV pulling my car in a trailer. It's my first ever auto cross, normally I drag race. Any info I should know ? I'm currently looking for a safety bar/6 point harness/helmet/with OEM seats. That's what I'm looking to add to the car to make it track ready any other recommendations or info on this track/things I should need would be appreciated. It's a 6000 MILE journey but we are up to it.
Best harness bar is Brey-Krause, IMHO. I also love my Schroth Profi ASM 6-point belts. Other important thing is you NEED to get a ride around Laguna Seca from someone who knows what they're doing -- it's MEGA! Good luck and have a blast!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
If you're going harness bar also budget for a Hans. Also, I'd only use a four point harness with the stock seats unless you have a racing seat. And if you're going 5 or 6 point without the anti-submarine then you have to have a Hans.

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Since this is your first visit to a track, here's what I would do:

1. Fresh change of 15W-50 full synthetic oil before track day
2. Dot 4 brake fluid full flush
3. Ensure you have plenty of brake pad thickness, at least 6mm. Stock pads are actually very good as long as they're thick
4. A quality lightweight full face helmet, SA2010. Don't skimp here.

I wouldn't go as far as a harness or harness bar, first get out there and have some fun. What group are you tracking with? Hooked on Driving is one of the better HPDEs. They have coaches that will help you learn the basics, first time out. And as others have said, see if you can be a passenger with someone experienced and knowldegeable that can show you the line. Watch in-car videos of people lapping Laguna, and play a good video game to learn the line. Lastly, take it easy and enjoy yourself. Don't go too hard too fast, Laguna can damage a car if you go off.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Best harness bar is Brey-Krause, IMHO.
I run the Krey-Krause harness bar and it is fantastic. I would get thrown around in my car to the extent of cutting open my elbow on the center arm rest. Now that I'm strapped into my seat I do not move at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
If you're going harness bar also budget for a Hans.
Agreed! I just tested out my Necksgen on Tuesday at the track and it is very comfortable and doesn't restrict head movement when looking in the mirrors as much as I thought it would. I'm very pleased.

The harness and Hans/Necksgen isn't a must, and I wouldn't suggest getting those unless you're going to start tracking frequently. The suggestions that Orange Crush made are a definite must though, maybe not so much the oil but everything else.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

i don't think i will add a harness just yet, keep OEM seatbelts. but as of right now i called and they said to speak with private owners who rented that track for the day, that they don't have "public track day" so any good groups to do a first run it, as well as you think they'd allow a passenger with me thru the track as long as we both have certified helmets?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

breaks are decent but ill order another set, flushed oil at 1k miles so it has just 200 on new oil, but i will check the brake fluid thats a great idea. currently looking to do this trip in feb/march but the sea calendar stops at december so i have no idea of what groups to join, anybody have a average estimate of a 3 day tracking or so?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
here is why you need hans with a harness.....driver does not have it, passenger does.

Also let me know when you are going, I am at most events and can run you around the track to learn the best 1LE line.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #11
backeddy
Banned

The best group period is SpeedSF.com, as they provide FREE professional pictures to everyone and they are very nice people too. Avoid HOD as they will charge 2x as much for half the fun.....Nor cal racing has very fast events (A lot of track prepped cars) and they are a little arrogant with newbies, so they are 2nd to last (behind HOD). Trackmasters, speed ventures etc are all good too....
Old 06-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #12
backeddy
Banned

OrangeCrush HOD SUCKS!!!! IMHO.......They are no fun for the first 5 times you attend, I will instruct the OP for no charge, just not at HOD.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #13
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
OrangeCrush HOD SUCKS!!!! IMHO.......They are no fun for the first 5 times you attend, I will instruct the OP for no charge, just not at HOD.
Thanks a lot I'm going to call on Monday and probably have everything ready by December im currently near two tracks homestead and road Atlanta so I'll try beefing up my skills there
Old 06-13-2015, 01:20 AM   #14
backeddy
Banned

Sounds great! although Laguna is a pretty safe track, it is best to have atleast minimal skills , such as knowing your cars limits and capabilities.....fun times!