Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
New RagCo. Towel

Well this is an interesting looking MF towel:
http://www.theragcompany.com/16-x-16...16-PLUFFLE.htm

Anyone ever used a plush waffle weave like this before?
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
I4toV8
Dazed &

Drives: matte blue 2014 z28(186) 2015 R1
it looks promising, i say you get it and report back
Old 09-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4toV8 View Post
it looks promising, i say you get it and report back
Not even sure what to use it for. Was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig and figure it out
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Seen this rag a couple of days ago. Been really thinking about getting a couple to try out actually.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
HAMBO

Ordered this on Friday and it just arrived. Looks a bit different than on the website. At first touch it's very fluffy and soft. Looking forward to trying it out on something (detail spray type application I guess).

Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I don't know. It's 70/30, but only 400gsm. Maybe I'm just spoiled from using the Avalanche 1100s. Definitely looking forward to user reviews.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
thinking about picking up a couple of these, along with some of there "fender" cover towels, kind of wish the Pluffle was a little better than the 400 GSM but and always use and extra couple drying towels

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Has anyone used any of there other products? good quality?
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
These Everest 1100 are great drying and detailing towels at an unbeatable price. I have been using them to dry both the Camaro and SUV for the last couple months and recommend them.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
HAMBO

Finally had a chance to try this thing out. Here is an initial review:

Design

The design is unique. Haven't seen anything quite like it before. It's easier to tell what it actually is when you wet the towel. Here is a picture with a corner having been dipped in water:

As you can see, all this towel is, essentially, is a very thin microfiber towel with high-pile MF stitched in a grid pattern all across it. Not sure I would really call this a "waffle weave" per se, but like I said, it's definitely different.

Couple of comments above about the 400GSM count; I believe this is because of the spacing between the grid (i.e. the non high-pile centers of each square). It's not that the high pile parts aren't heavy and fluffy, they are - as much so as the really high GSM stuff from the Rag Co in my opinion - it's that the overall weight per square meter is brought down because of the design of having thin centers surrounded by high pile.

Color

Firstly, and a purely subjective view, I just don't really think the light grey / beige is a nice looking color.

Secondly, and less subjectively, I think that color makes it harder to tell where dirt or dust is accumulating on it than if it were, let's say, white. I prefer white or pale light color towels since you can spot dirt easier and avoid wiping with that side.

Performance

I tried this out with some quick detailer after having washed my car two days prior. Had a few smudges from someone's hand print that I wanted to wipe off

I will say, I was surprised by how well this thing worked. I normally use either an Adams waterless wash towel for QD, or sometimes Adams double soft towel (or something high GSM like that) if it's just a very light one spray. I sprayed the QD on the panel a few times, and this towel did a good job of picking it up and removing the underlying smudges on the first pass. Flipped it over to another side and gently buffed clean in only a couple passes. No linting, and no streaks. Tried it on another spot as well with similar results.

I have tried some other Rag Co towels for use with QD (Eagle Edgeless and Everest 1100) and I would say this worked better. Fewer swipes and less / no linting. The Adams waterless wash towels are probably my favorite for QD (per the Junkman's advice I believe waffle weave is generally the way to go) but this was a good performer as well and maybe offers a softer alternative since the part touching the paint is very fluffly. Would definitely use it again.

Well, this was a lengthier review than I would have thought for this one towel, but it's a bit different so figured I'd share some opinions. All in all this is something I think I will use for occasional QD or a quick spray of waterless wash on an isolated spot or two. For <$5 seems like a neat and handy thing to have around.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
Has anyone used any of there other products? good quality?
I have a bunch of their towels and would categorize them as generally high quality, though not the highest. That said for the price, I think they are a really great value. Probably the most affordable MF stuff that's still considered relatively high quality.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
How do you think the large one would be for a drying towel? (spray wax after washing and then dry with one of these)

Thanks,

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
How do you think the large one would be for a drying towel? (spray wax after washing and then dry with one of these)

Thanks,

Jim
exactly what I was wandering

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Thanks Hambo, for taking the time to write up such a lengthy review. And I agree 100% about preferring lighter colored towels for identifying debris buildup. Grey is definitely the wrong color.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote