Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
thetournykid

Drives: 03 mustang, Upgrading!!
Which setup has more acceleration 0-60-100, a twin turbo or a super charger?

Ok guys, first off im new here, yet i really appricate the friendly community, and i know this subject has been coverd, but frankly i could not understand what alot of people were saying, becuase i dont understand half the abbrivations sadly :( lol..

Anywayyy, I'm going to be getting a 2SS in a couple months and am going to get either a super/pro charger or a TT set up going on, but i dont know which to get.

( if anyone can tell me where the search button is to search for things on specific topics so i can find ALL of the topics on this, that'd be great! )

I'm pretty much only intrested in the 0-60-100 MPH area.

If anyone can shoot any insight as too which of these beasts i should get/ what type would be the best for those results, that'd be great.

Also do you need/can you get gauges put in your car? whats the advantage / disadvantage of these? are they expensive? thanks!

If it matters, i plan to get a cold air intake as well, and i'll have normal street tires.

Thank you a bunch to anyone who answers this post!

OR what setup entirley would give me the fastest result? again i mainly care about 0-100mph range, but my limit is up to 10k, so if theres somthing else, let me know please, THANKS

Last edited by thetournykid; 08-05-2010 at 05:22 PM.
thetournykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetournykid View Post
Ok guys, first off im new here, yet i really appricate the friendly community, and i know this subject has been coverd, but frankly i could not understand what alot of people were saying, becuase i dont understand half the abbrivations sadly :( lol..

Anywayyy, I'm going to be getting a 2SS in a couple months and am going to get either a super/pro charger or a TT set up going on, but i dont know which to get.

( if anyone can tell me where the search button is to search for things on specific topics so i can find ALL of the topics on this, that'd be great! )

I'm pretty much only intrested in the 0-60-100 MPH area.

If anyone can shoot any insight as too which of these beasts i should get/ what type would be the best for those results, that'd be great.

Also do you need/can you get gauges put in your car? whats the advantage / disadvantage of these? are they expensive? thanks!

If it matters, i plan to get a cold air intake as well, and i'll have normal street tires.

Thank you a bunch to anyone who answers this post!

OR what setup entirley would give me the fastest result? again i mainly care about 0-100mph range, but my limit is up to 10k, so if theres somthing else, let me know please, THANKS
You will get every possible response.

This is my < .02 - I would buy a Maggie and use the rest of the money for upgrading the suspension and tires. Since you are interested in 0-60...100 traction becomes an issue with a higher output engine. If it is a manual, you may need also want a better clutch and gears. If it is an auto you may want to consider a higher stall torque converter. Those items will quickly chew up your 10K.

Just an FYI - one of the moderators, Mindz, had a ProCharger setup he was selling for $5,000 which would be a great deal and save you enough money to add headers, exhaust and maybe even CAI.

As far as gauges - they are great to have IF you will actually use them and/or will be doing some "spirited" or competitive driving. The first two IMO to get would be Air-to-Fuel and Vacuum/Boost. These two together would probably run around $500 for a good set with mounting. Get a hold of moderator GTAHVIT. He is getting/has two really nice gauges he can describe to you.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
would be a great deal and save you enough money to add headers, exhaust and maybe even CAI.
That last part about the "CAI" made me laugh. haha
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
This thread's topic reminds me of what my thought process was kind of like when I first started thinking about modding my car.

Here's what I would do:

You have your budget, so now try to stay within it. With careful planning, you can probably get everything you want, all within your budget.

If you get a TT setup, you will have everything you need to have a fast 0-60/100 mph car but when you are talking about getting good launches, like Speedster said before me, getting your suspension and traction worked out is key.

Realistically, suspension mods can cost you a lot. If you add new axles, it's going to be difficult to stay within your budget.

If you get a TT setup or a supercharger and you keep the boost around 8 psi, you can probably get away with needing no other upgrades. Maybe you can add an exhaust for sound.

You could also get your CAI if you get a top mount blower.

Basically, what I would do is get a Kenne Bell 2.8 supercharger, plus a catback, and maybe some wider rear tires and call it a day.

Or, I would get a Granatelli TT setup and enjoy.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
This thread's topic reminds me of what my thought process was kind of like when I first started thinking about modding my car.

Here's what I would do:

You have your budget, so now try to stay within it. With careful planning, you can probably get everything you want, all within your budget.

If you get a TT setup, you will have everything you need to have a fast 0-60/100 mph car but when you are talking about getting good launches, like Speedster said before me, getting your suspension and traction worked out is key.

Realistically, suspension mods can cost you a lot. If you add new axles, it's going to be difficult to stay within your budget.

If you get a TT setup or a supercharger and you keep the boost around 8 psi, you can probably get away with needing no other upgrades. Maybe you can add an exhaust for sound.

Basically, what I would do is get a Kenne Bell 2.8 supercharger, plus a catback, and maybe some wider rear tires and call it a day.

Sound advice... the KB is an excellent supercharger and Granatelli makes a great TT kit.

Last edited by speedster; 08-05-2010 at 08:22 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
The search this forum link is on the right just above the posts, but not at the top where the menu is. It is lower. There is also a search this thread link.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_02.html what about a twin supercharger
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
thetournykid

Drives: 03 mustang, Upgrading!!
Man guys, needless to say i REALLY appricate your responses, speedy/sonny, you both had great points, and i'll look into them both too see which i'd really like.

When talking about traction, what is the "cheapest" upgrades you can do? As for the exhaust, am i correct in saying all it really does is make a diffrent sound?

speedster you said, you will get every answer which i believe, would it be correct to assume that theres not going to be a "huge" diffrence in a TT setup vs a super charger? or will they both just be badass lol
thetournykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
vsgls1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra
Send a message via AIM to vsgls1
Buy this and be done.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78003
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Cheapest upgrade for traction is drag radials but only a short term solution. Exhaust do alot more than "sound" they are actually a performance part and can add considerable horsepower and allow the engine to breathe. Supercharger/Twin Turbo/Single Turbo are all badass setups. I have said many times, for 99% of camaro owners, the maggie TVS2300 is hard to beat as it is so reliable and has great power, but there are so many options coming available, you just need to keep reading and researching and figure out what YOU really want and expect out of the car and make the best decisions from there.
I would use the next couple of months reading posts and using the search option here and then if you still have questions, this is a great community of true enthusiasts and someone will always be able to answer any question you have. Enjoy.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post

Here's what I would do:

Not much more to say after that - He is spot on. The other answer is simply they are all about the same 0 to 60 - to 100 it will be hard to beat a TT kit - torque talks - you really can't go wrong.

I like the maggie TVS2300 system - it gets to the point, looks totally OE and flat out has the most proven mileage if you are thinking PD blowers. I like the Votech for Centrifugal - looks the best too of the centrifugal installs. But my favorite is the TT system

While Granatelli Sells TT system we also install and tune Maggies, Whipples, Kenne Bells, Vortechs and Procharger applications. In fact we do more Maggie installs and tunes than anything right now
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
speedster
SST...

Here's a TVS2300 for sale. Looks like you could save some money...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99018
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Here's a TVS2300 for sale. Looks like you could save some money...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99018

I've seen it new for about the same price.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Not much more to say after that - He is spot on. The other answer is simply they are all about the same 0 to 60 - to 100 it will be hard to beat a TT kit - torque talks - you really can't go wrong.

I like the maggie TVS2300 system - it gets to the point, looks totally OE and flat out has the most proven mileage if you are thinking PD blowers. I like the Votech for Centrifugal - looks the best too of the centrifugal installs. But my favorite is the TT system

While Granatelli Sells TT system we also install and tune Maggies, Whipples, Kenne Bells, Vortechs and Procharger applications. In fact we do more Maggie installs and tunes than anything right now
well put ... all you guys have great answers for him . i prefer tt setup from granatellicant go wrong
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote