Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Hms31093

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
swirl marks

anyone have a good method to get rid of minor swirl marks and make your car look brand new again? What is everyones detail process? Would love to hear it!
Hms31093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
There's only about 1000 threads on the subject. Try searching swirl marks and start reading...
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
There's only about 1000 threads on the subject. Try searching swirl marks and start reading...
+1, or just go back a page or two.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Take a look though our Detailing Videos, specifically the machine polishing chapters.

Removing swirls and scratches is a fairly in depth process, and you're only going to see appreciable results by machine polishing. Hand polishing just doesn't cut it.

In a nutshell, you need to:

Wash
Clay Bar
Polish
Seal/Glaze/Wax

Those are the basics, then all the other processes fill in the spaces in between.

Look thorough the videos to get an idea of what you are getting into and let me know what questions you have after that.

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
+1, or just go back a page or two.
You guys don't understand! He has unique needs! There's no way the thousands of other identical threads could apply to HIS paint!!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You guys don't understand! He has unique needs! There's no way the thousands of other identical threads could apply to HIS paint!!
Sorry, I didn't see that he has a LS. They use some of that next level shit on those cars.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Sorry, I didn't see that he has a LS. They use some of that next level shit on those cars.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
How did we get here?
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryv6 View Post
How did we get here?
Do you mean "we" the human race or "we", a bunch of guys beatin on someone for posting a question looking for some helpful advice instead of searching around for old posts?
Human race: Well it goes something like this, gazillions of years ago there was this...
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew9440 View Post
Talk about a pack of bullies. Here is some advice for you guys..... How about you practice "search" yourself and find those other 999 posts that arent original and rip on those guys for posting about swirl marks after the original guy did.

anyway...

this is what I do when I start seeing some swirls.

wash
claybar
polish
wax

I had bad swirls when I first bought the car. I washed, clayed, then I hand polished with meguiars scratch X 2.0, it really worked great and I went over it with meguiars ultimate paste wax. I got some microfiber pads and a handle that sticks to the back of the pads at walmart. I polished up and down in one certain direction. You have to use some elbow grease and some time. A polisher seems to do just as good of a job though. A lot of guys amateur into detailing use the same sponge constantly too. Make sure your sponge is clean or you invest the 2 bucks into a new one periodically. Other then that good luck. Maybe this post will make our fellow member attack me for being the guy who tried to stick up for you.
When you've spent the time I have answering these questions and actually writing giant articles explaining it all, come back to me and tell me what a meanyhead I'm being.

Give me a break mom.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Talk about a pack of bullies. Here is some advice for you guys..... How about you practice "search" yourself and find those other 999 posts that arent original and rip on those guys for posting about swirl marks after the original guy did.

anyway...

wash
claybar
polish
wax

I had bad swirls when I first bought the car. I washed, clayed, then I hand polished with meguiars scratch X 2.0, it really worked great and I went over it with meguiars ultimate paste wax. I got some microfiber pads and a handle that sticks to the back of the pads at walmart. I polished up and down in one certain direction. You have to use some elbow grease and some time. A polisher seems to do just as good of a job though. A lot of guys amateur into detailing use the same sponge constantly too. Make sure your sponge is clean or you invest the 2 bucks into a new one periodically. Other then that good luck. Maybe this post will make our fellow member attack me for being the guy who tried to stick up for you.
So you're criticizing others for telling him to run a quick search and then you give advice that won't even work? You're going to get absolutely no where hand polishing swirl marks. All you're going to get is a tired arm and swirls that weren't corrected. Also, he's asking about fixing swirls and you're telling him to wax? Wax is not a correcting agent. All wax does is protect the paint after you're done correcting it

OP, if you want to correct swirls you're going to have to step up to a machine polisher, some compound and polish. Invest in a sealant to protect the finish and you're golden

Read this and you'll understand why you're doing what you're doing as well as correct what caused them to get there in the first place. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307114

If you need product recommendations, here you go: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418

Click Picture for Build Thread

Last edited by lscamaro; 08-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
wow!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:

anyway...

wash
claybar
polish
wax

Yet you fail to realize that those other 999 swirl threads are the REASON THE SEARCH FUNCTION WORKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
When you've spent the time I have answering these questions and actually writing giant articles explaining it all, come back to me and tell me what a meanyhead I'm being.

Give me a break mom.
Resident Black Belt Meanyhead.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Ishin

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS
wow friendly group here.
glad I actually did a search for swirl.
now to go read CamaroDreams07 posts for all the info he has posted lol

Last edited by Ishin; 08-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Ishin is offline   Reply With Quote