Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
lilmikeylax

Drives: None
Winter tires or seasonals???

000000qunsnskk

Last edited by lilmikeylax; 10-10-2017 at 01:17 PM.
lilmikeylax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Your mom is wrong. Any car can perform in the winter with winter tires equipped. The Camaro is no exception. Lots of us are driving this thing in the winter, including me.

What model you looking to get?
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Camaro Bert

Drives: soon
dude you will be fine, people have driven in the winter with the summer tires and had no problems.
Camaro Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Cheshirelaugh

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Bert View Post
dude you will be fine, people have driven in the winter with the summer tires and had no problems.

I drove (carefully!) on the stock pirellis here in b'more this past winter when there was 8 feet of snow on the sides of the roads and only 3/4 of any lane was plowed. This is not to say it wouldn't be SAFER with winters or all-season.

The key is be smart about it.
Built 5/15
Delivered 6/19
Picked-up 6/22
Cheshirelaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_go_bills View Post
Your mom is wrong. Any car can perform in the winter with winter tires equipped. The Camaro is no exception. Lots of us are driving this thing in the winter, including me.

What model you looking to get?
How old is your mom? Ask her if she remembers the old days where she had to get winter tires. I was totally floored with the performance I got out of the pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires. There is a reason why Quebec requires them. They performed better than the Michellin all seasons I got on my 2000 camry.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmikeylax View Post
Funny you ask, her birthday is actually tommorrow lol. 37. But yeah i'll ask her. She's really trying to avoid me getting this car though but unfortunately for her, i'm going to be the one paying for it
I turn 35 this year. I remember a little bit of my dad putting winter tires on his truck.

Most people stopped doing that when all seasons became the norm. The stabilitrak and the traction control make this car the one I want to drive around in, during the winter months.

Why else would the car 2LT and 2SS models have heated seats, and mirrors as well as be built in Canada if you weren't meant to drive it in the winter?

Oh and enjoy this
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Don't be mislead, you can certainly drive the camaro during the winter but I would strongly recommend reputable all seasons or dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. My brother's charger R/T does better in the winter than a lot of the cars on the road believe it or not, but my 350z is the worst car I've ever driven in snow period. The summer tires that came with the car almost killed me with the first inch of snowfall, I learned my lesson and invested in some Michelin A/S Plus (all seasons) which carried me through the rest of the winter just fine.

I do not recommend you even attempt the winter driving with summer tires, depending on how much snow your area gets at some point you may want to pick up a spare set of smaller wheels to have a dedicated set of snow wheels/tires for the winter. This is what I just did for my Z (17" wheels w/blizzaks). It may seem like a steep investment at first but considering you'll be able to use them for at least a few, if not more, winters it pays for itself.
JMM1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
super bad idea not to put winter tires on a rear wheel drive car with respectable power and poor visibility in the snowy months....i dont get some people

OP- you do not have the skills to drive like the person in that video..No rear wheel drive car is as good as a front wheel drive, or AWD car..
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Bert View Post
really....sure about that?
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Not sure where you're at in OH, but I'm around Cleveland. I plan on driving mine all the time, including winter. I think I'm going to get the Yokohama Parada Spec-X all seasons. Just keep in mind, that if you get the car with the RS package (or the SS) it comes with the summer only tires. You're probably going to be laying out another grand for new tires, and possibly more if you get new rims. My dealer very conveniently forgot to mention this small detail. Anyway, it's still a sweet car, and from what others have said, you shouldn't have any trouble in the winter.
E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
With Traction Control and Stabilatrack it and all seasons or winter it should be fine but i got a 4x4 jeep for the winter myself lol.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
if you're looking i'm selling my set from last year. never even got to use them due to me selling the car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49771

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Keep your eyes on the 'for sale' section and ebay/Craiglist, pick up a used set of wheels (smaller are better when it comes to winter traction) and invest in a good set of winter tires. I picked up my winter wheels used and saved hundreds of dollars versus spending nearly $1k for tires alone last year, and these will last me through at least 2-3 winters. Start looking now, winter will be here before you know it.

*edit* what 608RS is offering (above) looks to be a great deal, if I drove a camaro I'd be all over that!
JMM1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
The only bad thing with winter tires is that you really dont want to use them unless there is snow on the ground and its like 45F or colder. Depending on where in ohio you live A/S might be better most of the time.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote