Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
Ruger2506

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
What do you think I can expect

Just looking for a little input and opinions.

As I've stated before I no car guy, I'm just a dude who owns a 2LT Camaro and drives it to work and to town for fun.

In the next week or so I'll be putting on a number of mods.
-LFX Ported Intake from JacFab
-CAI cold air intake
-Overkill 80 mm Throttle Body
-Overkill 91+ octane tune
-Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust system

Out of simple curiosity I'm curious what I could and or should expect as far as gains. If a person has an idea on HP gains, that's great. I'm asking more so about how will the car feel and perform (a more subjective opinion). Heck I just learned today about "competitive mode" and that I can turn Stabiliitrack completely off and I've owned this car how long now!

Everything is already bought and delivered or in the mail. No point in telling me in dumb and wasted my money on this or that.
Ruger2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:54 AM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Not dumb at all for buying it. Defiantly gonna be quicker than before and more fun to drive. I’m not the knowledgeable about the 6’s hp wise.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
I'll guess....slightly better throttle response, a bit more at the high end. Louder.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I think you’re looking at an additional 20 rwhp. Similar mods on the LFX have bumped the rwhp from 250-260 to 270-280:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475389
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #5
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
You're not dumb. Your car is your car; personalize it how you want. I would offer this "beating a dead horse" advice, though: if you're trying to toughen up your 6 banger, think about how much you are about to put into it, then see if the cost of those parts/labor wouldn't be worth upgrading to an 8 cylinder. That's usually how I approach performance mods.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
Bigdumogre

https://youtu.be/W7qBkP0MK08

Here is a crazy modded v6 camaro if you want ideas
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
Ruger2506

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
You're not dumb. Your car is your car; personalize it how you want. I would offer this "beating a dead horse" advice, though: if you're trying to toughen up your 6 banger, think about how much you are about to put into it, then see if the cost of those parts/labor wouldn't be worth upgrading to an 8 cylinder. That's usually how I approach performance mods.
Thanks. Yeah, it took me a year to make this decision. A year of research and thought. It helps that the Camaro has been paid off for a long time and I'm well on my way to early retirement. Part of the reason it took me a year to decide is I kept looking at opportunity cost. I didn't just lose the $2500 I just spent. I also lost the gains it would have generated. Assuming modest growth, that $2500 is actually worth $6000-$8000 in 8-10 years. A big pill to swallow if you overthink it.

The current car as it sits more than fits my needs and wants. A few more HP, and with it a lot more fun is all I'm looking for. The $2500 or whatever I just spent is just "fun money" or "beer money" whereas if I were to trade or sell this rig and upgrade I would spend a significant amount more. I am probably wrong but I'm thinking the increase in smiles would not be proportional to the extra cost of a SS. Of course a ZL1................now I assume that thing makes smiles. Heck, unless my math is wrong I could have my mechanic put a procharger on my car and still be money ahead as compared to upgrading to a V8 car.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Ruger2506

Thanks for the input and info guys. I appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #9
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger2506 View Post
Thanks. Yeah, it took me a year to make this decision. A year of research and thought. It helps that the Camaro has been paid off for a long time and I'm well on my way to early retirement. Part of the reason it took me a year to decide is I kept looking at opportunity cost. I didn't just lose the $2500 I just spent. I also lost the gains it would have generated. Assuming modest growth, that $2500 is actually worth $6000-$8000 in 8-10 years. A big pill to swallow if you overthink it.

The current car as it sits more than fits my needs and wants. A few more HP, and with it a lot more fun is all I'm looking for. The $2500 or whatever I just spent is just "fun money" or "beer money" whereas if I were to trade or sell this rig and upgrade I would spend a significant amount more. I am probably wrong but I'm thinking the increase in smiles would not be proportional to the extra cost of a SS. Of course a ZL1................now I assume that thing makes smiles. Heck, unless my math is wrong I could have my mechanic put a procharger on my car and still be money ahead as compared to upgrading to a V8 car.
Drive and mod the car the way you want. Some people just like a little speed and style while others like tons of power and could care about looks and others just show cars with no engine mods. And with these cars I like them all those ways, there just classic.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
Ruger2506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Drive and mod the car the way you want. Some people just like a little speed and style while others like tons of power and could care about looks and others just show cars with no engine mods. And with these cars I like them all those ways, there just classic.
I've never been a car guy and I can see the addiction. It seems the possibilities and creativity and individuality are almost endless. It seems to be the same with anything. Boats, tractors, firearms, bows, entertainment systems, etc. Whatever your interest........"have money, send it in." My biggest problem lately is I have a friend that bought a decal and graphics business about 6 months ago locally. They've been doing it about 10 years now. As you can imagine the "good ideas" flow readily while the beer is being shared. https://www.stattwraps.com/ Statt wraps in Grand Rapids, MN. The husband/wife team does excellent work.

Last edited by Ruger2506; 04-05-2021 at 07:52 PM.