Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
Help a zl1 owner out

Alright so after a few track days... I have decided to either pull the plug on my zl1 m6. For a 16 hellcat a8. OR I plan to stick a lsx427 tt (70+mm turbos.) I have been doing some research. However all the 427 builds I have seen. (besides the one lately running 7's) Have been in the 9's So my question to you guys. I know this a Camaro forum. However one cant deny the beast of the hellcats. Pops has run low 10's with e85/driveshaft/upper pulley. And he has ran low 10's to date trapping 137 mph... Seems to me with little ease. As he drives the car everywhere. I hate making decisions with my hard earned money. Any opinions?
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Hellcats start with 120+ HP advantage and the A8 they have is pretty impressive too. With Upper/Lower/Injectors/Headers/and or a cam, you could get into the 10s with a ZL1 on the proper tire though.

Possibly waiting for the new ZL1 or hopping to Corvettes would be your best bet.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Hellcats start with 120+ HP advantage and the A8 they have is pretty impressive too. With Upper/Lower/Injectors/Headers/and or a cam, you could get into the 10s with a ZL1 on the proper tire though.

Possibly waiting for the new ZL1 or hopping to Corvettes would be your best bet.

I was considering the new zl1's I have a m6 and we all know the disadvantages of m6 in the 1/4... I know of a ton of guys who have modded their zl1's m6 and barely hitting mid 10's at sea level. Kinda makes me worry dumping anymore money into my z. Those new 16 challengers with the intake tubes from the lights are pretty awesome... I LOVE the way my zl1 looks. But I suppose I can make the challenger look the same way.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The Chrysler compute architecture is very hard to deal with compared to Ford or GM
If anything a 13-14 GT500 has a much larger and cheaper mod way forward but starts at higher cost right now

I have had an SRT8 and couldnt keep it out of the dealer, so i am very soured on that marque while I have had 3 GT500s that never had an issue with many bolt ons and many miles.
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by d454brisson View Post
The Chrysler compute architecture is very hard to deal with compared to Ford or GM
If anything a 13-14 GT500 has a much larger and cheaper mod way forward but starts at higher cost right now

I have had an SRT8 and couldnt keep it out of the dealer, so i am very soured on that marque while I have had 3 GT500s that never had an issue with many bolt ons and many miles.
True. I'd take a GT500 any day over a Housecat.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
ClarityCamaro

Decisions.... The new style mustangs are cool also. But with what you guys are saying I have done some research on the cats and have found a few people who have already blew up their motors.... sigh... Might just go with a lsx 427 and just keep my z. Or might max out it's potential with this motor first.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
If you are looking for an overstuffed pig, buy a Hellcat (~4800 lbs). Or buy the more svelt 2017 ZL1.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
What mods have you done so far???You can always borrow "Pop's" car and make a pass or two...I was at a point of getting a Hellcat but the cost ratio was way off, couldn't digest a $30,000.00 hit for a car that handles like a tank for a adrenaline rush here and there...So I stuck with the ZL1 for every reason this car is highly appreciated by most owners...A mod here and there and they will walk away from a cat...My car doesn't make me any money, but it does get me lots of joy at a moderate cost...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
What mods have you done so far???You can always borrow "Pop's" car and make a pass or two...I was at a point of getting a Hellcat but the cost ratio was way off, couldn't digest a $30,000.00 hit for a car that handles like a tank for a adrenaline rush here and there...So I stuck with the ZL1 for every reason this car is highly appreciated by most owners...A mod here and there and they will walk away from a cat...My car doesn't make me any money, but it does get me lots of joy at a moderate cost...
I already walk away from stock hc's

Current mods are
triple disk clutch (monster)
1 7/8 inch headers. (kooks)
CAI
And a 100 shot that I don't use much of yet. (dedicated fuel cell, window switch, and progressive controller)
So I mean some stuff I was getting her ready to do a huge power add. But after seeing what little my dad has done. Just not fair. And I wish he would let me take his car down the track. All he does though is whoop my ass and he calls it a night.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

The stock Hellcat blowers are almost maxed out if I'm not mistaken, so there's not much to over drive on there.

Like I said, you can spend 5 grand on your ZL1 and he'll be staring at taillights or you can move to the Corvette dark side where a whole lot less power does a whole lot more .
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #11
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityCamaro View Post
I already walk away from stock hc's

Current mods are
triple disk clutch (monster)
1 7/8 inch headers. (kooks)
CAI
And a 100 shot that I don't use much of yet. (dedicated fuel cell, window switch, and progressive controller)
So I mean some stuff I was getting her ready to do a huge power add. But after seeing what little my dad has done. Just not fair. And I wish he would let me take his car down the track. All he does though is whoop my ass and he calls it a night.
Well he is your dad and he's been whooping your ass all your life so a little more whooping shouldn't be that bad...lol...First thing you overlooked in your build is probably the most important and that's pulley's upper, lower or a combination of both...What is the RWHP you're making as is???How bad is your dad beating you, a second, 0.5 second, etc...You kind of went backwards with your build and if you checkout the serious HP cars on this site you will see how they progressed in their builds...So don't give up on your car to soon...Just look at the basic mods in my signature and I would wager that your RWHP isn't even close...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
99frc

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
I agree with above. You haven't even begun to tap the potential of your motor with those mods. Pulleys, injectors and boost a pump will add another 100 RWHP or so. Combine that with a little bit of that spray and you'll have a dangerous race car. Also, what tires are you running?
2015 ZL1 #377
99frc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #13
ClarityCamaro

Without nitrous i'm at around 530 (to the wheels). M6. pops is around 1000 to the wheels. And I know of the upper/lower pulleys for sure. Just haven't decided which route to take. I haven't sprayed at the track with my nitrous yet. I have ran a best of 12.2 @ 116 with DA that night of 5000 feet above sea level. I Need to better my 60 foots as they are 2.0 I am running nittos 315/20. And he whoops me by 2 seconds! Damn automatics.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The stock Hellcat blowers are almost maxed out if I'm not mistaken, so there's not much to over drive on there.

Like I said, you can spend 5 grand on your ZL1 and he'll be staring at taillights or you can move to the Corvette dark side where a whole lot less power does a whole lot more .
I would love to own a vette one day. Although i'm looking at a gts viper as well. 2014. Almost the same price as a cat. Although those are all manuals as well.