Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Ported TB & manifold spacer

I did a quick search, but didn't find anything relating to a ported TB or intake manifold spacer for a '13 LFX.

If they do exist, what kind of gains am I looking at? The engine is stock except for a K&N drop in. I just watched a few vids on modding a '10 LLT with the spacer, and wondered if my gains would be similar. In the past, I put a TB from an auto Dodge Neon onto my manual car (2 mm larger) and got a noticeable gain. Would it be the same with my LFX?
Old 04-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Hey Don. I would do the jacfab spacer, and do his laminator or get the full ported intake. Here's my thoughts on the throttle body. Overkill has a 80 mm one. You gain over all hp & tq from it when you are still na. Its at above 4,500 rpm though. I feel it helps more when you go forced induction. When you are NA intake air velocity is more important. I think the best ported stock throttle body is from GPE. They are the only ones i knw that do a true half shaft mod. That helps tremendously with air volume and velocity. I know almost everyone is going to say get the 80mm, but that's my take on it. Na theres a tipping point when more air intake volume means low rpm power loss. That's because you reduce air velocity.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
Hey Don. I would do the jacfab spacer, and do his laminator or get the full ported intake. Here's my thoughts on the throttle body. Overkill has a 80 mm one. You gain over all hp & tq from it when you are still na. Its at above 4,500 rpm though. I feel it helps more when you go forced induction. When you are NA intake air velocity is more important. I think the best ported stock throttle body is from GPE. They are the only ones i knw that do a true half shaft mod. That helps tremendously with air volume and velocity. I know almost everyone is going to say get the 80mm, but that's my take on it. Na theres a tipping point when more air intake volume means low rpm power loss. That's because you reduce air velocity.
I just watched the video on the Laminator and I don't see why I can't just do it myself with epoxy resin...he basically said that's what they do when they do a porting job on the manifolds. I could just cut off the 'waffle' and fill the 'chin' with the resin and get the same results. What do you think?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
I bought the ported intake a year ago. He spent a lot of time and money on manifolds. Getting that shape and flow just right. I went with it because i know it's going to perform at a given level.

If you do decide to do it yourself. The epoxy needs to be able to handle gas and oil, and heat. He also uses screws to give something for the epoxy to hold onto. Plus you have to maker it is clean, clean first. Which is why Jason quit porting used manifolds.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
I bought the ported intake a year ago. He spent a lot of time and money on manifolds. Getting that shape and flow just right. I went with it because i know it's going to perform at a given level.

If you do decide to do it yourself. The epoxy needs to be able to handle gas and oil, and heat. He also uses screws to give something for the epoxy to hold onto. Plus you have to maker it is clean, clean first. Which is why Jason quit porting used manifolds.
If only the Laminator wasn't out of stock for the foreseeable future ....

I understand what you are saying and I get that I'd have to mimic what he did ... putting screws in the manifold for the filler to grab onto etc., but when he was describing install on the Laminator, he just said to drop in and install the screw, no cleaning involved.

I'm not going to just go to the parts store, grab some epoxy and have at it, I'm going to research a ton of different materials to see what will hold up best to the chemicals and heat it will be subjected to.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
JacFab has the manifold spacer, Overkill has the 80mm TB. There used to be a stock VMax ported TB but I'm not sure where it would be found these days. If you skim threads here you can probably find Jason's thread about porting the LFX manifold and do something similar yourself with a dremel. I opened mine up a few weeks ago because I got a ported LFX intake manifold before the 80mm TB was an option.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

***Thinking out loud...Don't beat me up too bad if it's a dumb idea***

Wondering if I could use Flex Seal? After all, it's chemical / heat resistant and it's basically rubber.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I keep thinking i read on here if you go 80mm you will need a tune.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
I keep thinking i read on here if you go 80mm you will need a tune.
I had another tune with the 80mm and ported/matched intake plus other stuff. Did ok but got the tune from will at overkill with 3 different fuel grade possibilities. Does much better now as he is the only one to tune for the 80mm. The little v6 does great. But I had not had any tune at first and it really needs a good tune for a few reasons. I like the rpms and where I shift now. No 3:91 Diff gears for me, yet.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
***Thinking out loud...Don't beat me up too bad if it's a dumb idea***

Wondering if I could use Flex Seal? After all, it's chemical / heat resistant and it's basically rubber.
JB Weld works. Jeremy Formato, of FasterProms in Tampa, FL uses it on his intake manifold portings. He'd done three on my GTO, the Stage 2 porting required the intake to be cut open, and JB Weld was used, along with screws to put it back together.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
JB Weld works. Jeremy Formato, of FasterProms in Tampa, FL uses it on his intake manifold portings. He'd done three on my GTO, the Stage 2 porting required the intake to be cut open, and JB Weld was used, along with screws to put it back together.
Sounds like a plan
Old 04-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
JB Weld won't hold up to petroleum so any type of cleaner or oil might break it down.
A friend fixed a crack on his mowers plastic gas tank with it once.
Oh boy, took all summer for the grass to grow back at the point of combustion.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #13
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
An intake manifold doesn't have gas directly against it. I'm telling you, Formato uses JB Weld on intake manifolds. I'd also done a quick repair on a motorcycle crankcase with JB Weld in my younger days, and it held up just fine; for months.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
DonM
Camaro #4

^^ That's what I was thinking