Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
homestead_us

Drives: '12 2SS/RS White
Need some advice

I bought my car this time last year used from a used car dealership about 2 hrs away. I noticed the car was slightly louder than other cars I looked at but was told it was an aftermarket exhaust. Later on, I learned that the post cats have been deleted along with the mufflers. Now I'm trying to get my state inspection done and it wont pass due to the missing mufflers.
Does this basically just fall on me now since its my car? Ive contacted the dealer but it sounds like they might deny it since it had a "valid" inspection when it was sold.
homestead_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Did you buy the car in NC? I would think it's on the dealer to sell you a car that is "legal" and will pass inspection.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Yeah you're probably on your own on that one.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
homestead_us

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Did you buy the car in NC? I would think it's on the dealer to sell you a car that is "legal" and will pass inspection.
Yeah, I bought it in NC. Now I need to figure out what type of muffler or cats back I want to install.
Since when did a cat back cost 1k?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
Well well well what we have is a failure tnevermind-what you need to do to 'pass' is buy the correct pieces and install them.$$$ may be on you.sorry.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a similar issue with a used truck that I bought. After the fact I discovered the tires were the wrong size and it would not pass PA inspection. I took it to the State Police and they told Me the dealer had to make it right. If they don't let them know.
I went to the dealer with this info and got 4 new tires (i'm sure whatever they got the best deal on) but they did take care of it.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
So is this an issue because the resonator is also removed? I just did the axleback (muffs gone but resonator still there) and am now concerned although here in Ontario, we don't have a "safety" unless the car changes hands.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I had a similar issue with a used truck that I bought. After the fact I discovered the tires were the wrong size and it would not pass PA inspection. I took it to the State Police and they told Me the dealer had to make it right. If they don't let them know.
I went to the dealer with this info and got 4 new tires (i'm sure whatever they got the best deal on) but they did take care of it.
That's what I would think. Legitimate dealers can't just sell you a car that won't pass inspection.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:

wait, tire size is part of your inspection? and you can't change from original size?

Good grief, and I thought IL had some ridiculous laws (no statewide inspections though, thankfully)
Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
It was a 4wd truck. The front and back were different sizes and I found it was making weird noises in 4wd.
Neither size was what was marked on the door.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Different size from side to side I could see being an issue, but front to back not so much.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
homestead_us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
So is this an issue because the resonator is also removed? I just did the axleback (muffs gone but resonator still there) and am now concerned although here in Ontario, we don't have a "safety" unless the car changes hands.

J
Resonator is still installed, Id try another shop but I think Im locked in the system and have to go back to the same place.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:45 AM   #13
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead_us View Post
I bought my car this time last year used from a used car dealership about 2 hrs away. I noticed the car was slightly louder than other cars I looked at but was told it was an aftermarket exhaust. Later on, I learned that the post cats have been deleted along with the mufflers. Now I'm trying to get my state inspection done and it wont pass due to the missing mufflers.
Does this basically just fall on me now since its my car? Ive contacted the dealer but it sounds like they might deny it since it had a "valid" inspection when it was sold.
It is all on you... If it was louder than normal when you were in the process of buying it, why did you not get underneath it and look? You would have known then that they were missing and you would have more of a leg to stand on to get them to do something. As far as the dealership is concerned now you removed them after you bought it, you have no way to prove otherwise.
Buying a used car is always a little more work when it comes to looking at the car because you have to go over it with a fine tooth comb to see what has been worked on, replaced, etc.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:

This is very good advice.....go to a State Police office, not a city...STATE and ask them.....after all, its their job to enforce those rules.....so who better to know.