Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 10-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #1
clutchkick

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT
Suspension mods for autocross, where do I begin?

Trying to decide between getting pedders sway bars or BMR 1.25 lowering springs with eibach struts as a little holiday gift to myself, which would have a bigger impact on autox times since the prices aren't that far off? Currently on stock FE4 suspension with a 275/315 staggered setup, and it understeers on the 180s way more than I would like. I know biggest mod is the drivermod but I wanna upgrade the car while I'm working on that too.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
An adjustable rear bar will give you a way to tighten the rear end and bring the balance more neutral.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
Rusty Shackleford

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I'm right there with you. Did a track day in October and learned just how bad the under-steer is on mine (aftermarket wheels but with factory 275/245 staggered setup). I've bounced off of every wall trying to decide the best course of action. Just too many options. I've considered just throwing the kitchen sink at it, then reeled myself back in to something a little more conservative to start with while I, too, work on my driving. I'm not trying to build a racer-car, but do want to make some improvements to maximize my fun time at the track.

Before my next outing I'm going to put an adj rear bar on it and it'll be on a squared 275 or 285 setup using dot/track 200tw tires.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:09 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
I'm right there with you. Did a track day in October and learned just how bad the under-steer is on mine (aftermarket wheels but with factory 275/245 staggered setup). I've bounced off of every wall trying to decide the best course of action. Just too many options. I've considered just throwing the kitchen sink at it, then reeled myself back in to something a little more conservative to start with while I, too, work on my driving. I'm not trying to build a racer-car, but do want to make some improvements to maximize my fun time at the track.

Before my next outing I'm going to put an adj rear bar on it and it'll be on a squared 275 or 285 setup using dot/track 200tw tires.
#1 handling mod for a 5th gen SS - get the tires square. Understeer will be dramatically reduced. At very low speeds, it's still a big heavy car, so you'll still find the understeer, but overall the balance moves much closer to neutral - pay attention the first time you get into a high speed chicane as the car is gonna rotate a lot easier and faster with the same amount of input!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:17 AM   #5
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Your tire sizes aren't helping. 285 square or 285/305 is a better choice along with a performance alignment. Then hone your skills. Developing your driver skills is tough when you are parts swapping all the time.

Going bigger, the 1LE suspension, wheel and tire sizes and a bigger rear adjustable bar would be a nice setup. Solid rear cradle mounts (AFE/Pfadt) are a great upgrade too.

As far a drop springs, they don't make as big improvements as people think other than looks. But a matched setup, with the drop springs and matching anti roll bars, goes along way to having a good baseline. Detroit Speed has drop springs and matching adjustable anti roll bars.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Modding the car for track days or autocross does not do the same as modding the car for the drag strip.

You'll learn this the easy way or the hard way.

Seat time makes you faster in these realms, not modifying the car.

Put a square tire setup on it and learn that before any other changes.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:40 PM   #7
clutchkick

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Your tire sizes aren't helping. 285 square or 285/305 is a better choice along with a performance alignment. Then hone your skills. Developing your driver skills is tough when you are parts swapping all the time.

Going bigger, the 1LE suspension, wheel and tire sizes and a bigger rear adjustable bar would be a nice setup. Solid rear cradle mounts (AFE/Pfadt) are a great upgrade too.
Thanks for the info guys. Wound up getting some EBC Yellow pads and rotors, as I was getting some signs of warping/runout. Maintenance before mods lol.

Probably going to do wheels/tires as my next mod, I bought the car with the current wheel/tire sizes on it, so that wasn't really my choice for the 40mm stagger. My current plan is to get a pair of 20x10s to match the rear and ditch the 9" wide fronts to run square 285/35 20, unless I can cram something larger up front but 285 seems like the go to.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:51 AM   #8
Rusty Shackleford

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Well I installed the 32mm Pedders rear bar under my car about a month ago and it definitely eliminated a lot of body roll. The car feels more neutral now but I have yet to push the car hard enough to see just how much. I have a track day in two weeks so I'll know more about it then. Since the staggered tire setup is my baseline I chose to stick with that for now, but I did move the 275/40's up front and got wider wheels with 305/35's out back, so I added 30mm of tire width to each corner. Theory there being, more overall grip but equally applied so it shouldn't mess with the actual balance a lot.

We'll see what the results are and I'll make a decision moving forward from there.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote