Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
vega$
Dreaming Big!

Drives: 06 Silverado CC 4x4 5.3L
LT Headers question

I know this has been talked about around here before, but there were never clear answers. ( I've been coming here for questions for about a year just never registered til' now.)

If you had some LT headers on the SS, will you will be able to pass the OBD emissions testing? I live in las vegas and as far as my experience there isnt a visual inspection.
thanks for any feedback.
vega$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
as long as you get some high flow cats and keep all the o2 sensors hooked up you shouldn't have any codes, with lt headers you should also get a tune to go with them to really take advantage of them, so yes you will pass
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
spd98

Drives: had a goat
You will have codes with long tubes. you will have to have them removed via tune. It may take a week or so to set a code but because of the temperature and flow difference through the cats the O2 numbers will not look the same as stock. The bottom line is that you will need a tune to get the most hp out of your lt's anyway so it's not a big deal.

BTW I actually speak from experience here I personally know of 4 GTO's that had this and 2 g8 gt's.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
You will have codes with long tubes. you will have to have them removed via tune. It may take a week or so to set a code but because of the temperature and flow difference through the cats the O2 numbers will not look the same as stock. The bottom line is that you will need a tune to get the most hp out of your lt's anyway so it's not a big deal.

BTW I actually speak from experience here I personally know of 4 GTO's that had this and 2 g8 gt's.

i've never done or seen lt's without a tune so i didn't know if they would set codes under a stock tune or not, so thanks for letting us know
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
If there isn't a visual part .. you should be ok as long as you tune (or use eliminators) for any O2 issues ..

IMO (having had both long tubes and shorties) .. it isn't worth the hassel to go to long tubes unless you are going to be making gobs of power .... Shorties can support a lot of power as well and matted to some high flow cats, you don't need the extra parts to turn off the O2s or eliminators to fake those readings .. you stay emissions compliant.

Crowley
Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Just get a good tune, and go to a nice friendly shop for your tuning and inspection...You will be good to go.

Check out the group buy thread...I will be posting a good deal on Long Tubes in the next day or so!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
If there isn't a visual part .. you should be ok as long as you tune (or use eliminators) for any O2 issues ..

IMO (having had both long tubes and shorties) .. it isn't worth the hassel to go to long tubes unless you are going to be making gobs of power .... Shorties can support a lot of power as well and matted to some high flow cats, you don't need the extra parts to turn off the O2s or eliminators to fake those readings .. you stay emissions compliant.

Crowley

Crowley,

Are yo going to have Classic put the shorties on??
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Another little FYI you cannot get any o2 sims now that work. Your only choice is a tune. And LT's will always make more power than shorty's.

Last edited by spd98; 03-23-2009 at 01:14 PM.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
In states that do visual inspection (like California), you will flunk visual but you can pass smog, provided you have cats.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You'll probably throw codes without a tune because of the 02s, like has already been stated. I had the problem with mid-lengths and LTs. It's possible to pass the sniffer so long as you have a good tune and the rest of the PCM's parameters have been met. I don't remember all of the PCM checks, but believe at least three have to have been checked and passed in order for the smog machine to "pass" the car after the sniffer test. I had problems with this in the past because of not driving the car enough after reflashing the PCM.

It may be best for you to consult a smog shop because they should know all the smog laws of your state. If you lived in a rubbish state like me, I'd tell you to not do anything to your car - actually, I'd tell you to walk...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
You can always pass a visual if you go to the "right" place...wink wink

And a quality tune will pass the smog test no problem
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
vega$
Dreaming Big!

Drives: 06 Silverado CC 4x4 5.3L
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah no visual inspection at the smog check I go to.
Thats also what I figured, that I will get headers and a tune at the same time.
btw best mods to do in order?
headers and tune?
or
CAI and High Flow cat exhaust?
I was thinking of doin CAI and exhaust first..not right away but a few months after purchase.
vega$ is offline   Reply With Quote