Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We carry Spec twin clutches at some competetive pricing. They can handle anything you throw at them!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Calbert,

When we first installed my clutch as part of the build, it took a little getting used to starting off, there was quite a bit of chatter if I didn't rev the motor a bit before coming off the floor, and it felt like it was grabbing a little even with it on the floor say sitting at a light... I got to throwing it into neutral all the time as I approcached lights...

We eventually pulled it when we were removing the tranny to address the synchronizer and shift fork issues.

We took pics of it and ended up sending it back to 'ACT, and they did some work on it... It seems to respond better, and the chatter has lessened with driving time, but when my builder pulled the transission this last time, he said the assembly looks a little worse for wear.. I'm going to try it for a while longer and then may have to consider other options...

I can say that I have never had any issues with it clamping, though traction has been a part of that... I feel like it has the potential to be a good clutch, but I'm not sure how long it will last...

I'm considering options as well, so I'll be following this thread...
That's what I'm wondering too. I expect to have about 800+rwhp. when I complete the build, so thinking of getting something rated rated similar to what you have. Thing is I'm hearing the twin clutches have bad manners at that level, but we may not have a choice.
I hear good things about ACT but they're probably not everyone's first choice. Most people are happy with the ZR1 cluth, however, I don't think it will hold very long in our extreme HP case.

Unfortunately, at our power levels there may not be much more out there that's made with the solid "iron" components that will have good street manners. I was told will have to re-learn how to drive in traffic (no clutch slipping, just stop n' go).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
we have 644 rwhp on a S/C magason 2300, head work, cam, m-6 . we got a stage -3 clutch, it is awsome!!! glad we went the monster route. got a neat t-shirt too. had to pay for it tho. troubles over. flem in ohio
Not sure if the stage 3 is going to be sufficent for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
We carry Spec twin clutches at some competetive pricing. They can handle anything you throw at them!
Lot's of praises from people about these clutches, I had someone clain the ST Super Trim version has very good street manners. I've been leaning this way for some time, but not 100% sure yet. I really thinking either Mcleod RXT or SPEC P or ST Super Twin.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I've been curious about the clutch that just came up from Australia/new Zealand. One of the vendors on here had a posting about them... I've tried calling the manufacturer to get technical information but have been unsuccessful so far... Can't remember the name of it but I'll go find it... The ZR1 clutch will not hold 800 rwhp in our cars... Cars is to heavy, and the clutch is only rated for about 850-900 and that's at the flywheel... You'll be in the 950 or so area...at the clutch...Went and found it, it's the Mantic clutch, very nice looking piece, expensive, but if it does what it's supposed to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
That's what I'm wondering too. I expect to have about 800+rwhp. when I complete the build, so thinking of getting something rated rated similar to what you have. Thing is I'm hearing the twin clutches have bad manners at that level, but we may not have a choice.
I hear good things about ACT but they're probably not everyone's first choice. Most people are happy with the ZR1 cluth, however, I don't think it will hold very long in our extreme HP case.

Unfortunately, at our power levels there may not be much more out there that's made with the solid "iron" components that will have good street manners. I was told will have to re-learn how to drive in traffic (no clutch slipping, just stop n' go).

Lot's of praises from people about these clutches, I had someone clain the ST Super Trim version has very good street manners. I've been leaning this way for some time, but not 100% sure yet. I really thinking either Mcleod RXT or SPEC P or ST Super Twin.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...

Last edited by SSE 4 2SS; 08-02-2011 at 09:27 PM.
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
I've been curious about the clutch that just came up from Australia/new Zealand. One of the vendors on here had a posting about them... I've tried calling the manufacturer to get technical information but have been unsuccessful so far... Can't remember the name of it but I'll go find it... The ZR1 clutch will not hold 800 rwhp in our cars... Cars is to heavy, and the clutch is only rated for about 850-900 and that's at the flywheel... You'll be in the 950 or so area...at the clutch...Went and found it, it's the Mantic clutch, very nice looking piece, expensive, but if it does what it's supposed to...
Agreed. Curious, are you not interested in the SPEC or McLeod?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #19
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Agreed. Curious, are you not interested in the SPEC or McLeod?
They are still in the running, but I want consider all available options... Don't want the have to buy a new one several times before finding one that works and has some longevity of life...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Get the McLeod RXT and be done. This is the only clutch that I would use as I had it in my car and loved it. Drives better than stock, no noise and will take all the power you can throw at it. As you know there arent alot of cars built like mine and this is the only clutch I can recommend as I know it works perfectly for very high hp applications.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended

Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Quote:
True, and I appreciate that info, but I was having synchro problems before the build... They just got substantially worse with the increased power... We now have carbon fiber synchros and the clutch is a decent ways off the floor before engaging...

Do you guys install and set up big hp rated clutches at your location, or are you strictly retail... I hoping someone does an adjustable clutch slave/master cylinder soon. The reason for the big hp question, is we are soon to up mine into the 1200 or so rwhp range... And 1250-1300 ft/lbs... Does monster make anything that isn't an on off switch clutch for this power level...

The above power will not be full time... It will only be for track showings and then back to my current power level for street driving... I realize I may be asking too much, but if I don't ask, I'll never know
I know Tick has been working on an adjustable master cylinder as are we on our Carbon triple which will hold your power goals. You are asking a lot, but that is why we have yet to release a twin/triple to the market as we want to meet those expectations.
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #22
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended

Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Quote:

A Level 3 is good for 700rwhp which it sounds like you will be exceeding, but an 11" Ceramic will hold 850rwhp and do have guys out there who daily drive with it.
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #23
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Get the McLeod RXT and be done. This is the only clutch that I would use as I had it in my car and loved it. Drives better than stock, no noise and will take all the power you can throw at it. As you know there arent alot of cars built like mine and this is the only clutch I can recommend as I know it works perfectly for very high hp applications.
Noticed previous thread you're changing clutches. Any specific reason why? What brand are you going with now?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #24
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
When I was researching my clutch choice many of the high horsepower car guys recommended RPS. I went with the RPS tin full carbon kit....instead of using organic material for friction surfaces, it uses carbon.

I have yet to drive my car as they are putting the 9" in and should have it back next week but Kevin from Vengeance has driven it a lot and said the clutch feels amazing....a little more pedal feel than stock but very very driver friendly.

My car doesn't have the power of SSE yet as I am still on cast pistons but it put down 670/620.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
When I was researching my clutch choice many of the high horsepower car guys recommended RPS. I went with the RPS tin full carbon kit....instead of using organic material for friction surfaces, it uses carbon.

I have yet to drive my car as they are putting the 9" in and should have it back next week but Kevin from Vengeance has driven it a lot and said the clutch feels amazing....a little more pedal feel than stock but very very driver friendly.

My car doesn't have the power of SSE yet as I am still on cast pistons but it put down 670/620.
I passed that HP#, that's why the choice isn't so easy. I'd go with the RPS (ZR1) too, but it won't hold. Not a lot of vehicles like SSE around, but those that have upwards of 1000hp. swear by the Mcleod.
That may be the way to go for very high hp applications.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post

Your car has the StreetSlayer carbon,it drives amazing becuase Hendrix-Engineering partnered with the leader in carbon clutches, RPS and driveabilty was job one,we didnt want to build a clutch to hold x amount of power,thats not the issue,we wanted to enjoy driving the car.The StreetSlayer line of clutches will hold all the power you bring and your wife could drive it.Looking foward to your review
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
I passed that HP#, that's why the choice isn't so easy. I'd go with the RPS (ZR1) too, but it won't hold. Not a lot of vehicles like SSE around, but those that have upwards of 1000hp. swear by the Mcleod.
That may be the way to go for very high hp applications.
We have a StreetSlayer that will hold your power ,give me a call and we can go over it .
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
We have a StreetSlayer that will hold your power ,give me a call and we can go over it .
Feel free to PM the specifics. I'm not an expert so I just send the details to my performance installer and ask questions.
The problem is not too many people throwing 427's in their vehicles so there are lots of claims that clutch will hold power, but very little feedback for 427 owners and the various clutches out there in the market.