Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Got in a lot of trouble by the CHP for lights

Long story short, i am a CHP explorer who gets to do ride a long with the officers. I asked one officer if i can have my LED lights in the front and in the engine bay. He first said yes that's fine as long as they are not red or blue. A few days later he told me that they were illegal to run while driving if they are any color, but i can use them all i want if i am parked. I did something really dumb and decided to turn them on just ONE drive on the way to work at night, and guess who pulls me over...
Same officer. He was pissed. He only told me to turn them off and keep them off. I then get called into the office by my advisor and he tells me they are demoting me from sergeant rank and the sergeant of the CHP was so mad that they sat down and "figured out" that it was illegal to even have ANY lights on the car even if they arent running.
Now this is bull. I've read through the vehicle code book and it shows they are legal as long as they are not RED. AND he told me they were legal while driving at first.... Then they all changed their minds...I bought these things for like 400 bucks and now i have to throw them away? I don't know what to do. I feel like talking to the CHP again about it and explaining how much time and effort i put into them. What do you guys think?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am going off the Ohio Revised Code. Can you EASILY see turning signals at night with them on? In Ohio it is red and blue that are illegal for aftermarket lights.

I will try to look up California law for you

Last edited by AdamZ; 01-17-2013 at 05:08 AM.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
I am going off the Ohio Revised Code. Can you EASILY see turning signals at night with them on? In Ohio it is red and blue that are illegal for aftermarket lights.

Also I believe that you are not allowed to have the bulb showing. That may be for underbody lights though.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I'm guessing that since you are in a Reserve program, you are looking at Law Enforcement as a career. If that is the case, I would remove them without question if you still wish to have a shot at becoming a LEO. They are going to know the law much better than you do, but even if they are mistaken, they are your bosses and will have quite a bit to say about your ability to pass a background check and get hired.

Now, if you have no desire to get a job in the future as a LEO, then the worst they can do is kick you from their reserve program (which is certain to happen if you do not remove the lights). Keep in mind, none of this would have been an issue if you had followed the direction of the Trooper by not using them while the vehicle is in motion.

Good luck to you however you decide to proceed.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
I think they are wrong. You can have then there but you cannot use them on the road.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
tom7322

Drives: Yes
Here it's no red or blue front or back def no strobe. Or off ya go..
Get rid of them and consintrate on job. Not worth it!
tom7322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowVert View Post
I'm guessing that since you are in a Reserve program, you are looking at Law Enforcement as a career. If that is the case, I would remove them without question if you still wish to have a shot at becoming a LEO. They are going to know the law much better than you do, but even if they are mistaken, they are your bosses and will have quite a bit to say about your ability to pass a background check and get hired.

Now, if you have no desire to get a job in the future as a LEO, then the worst they can do is kick you from their reserve program (which is certain to happen if you do not remove the lights). Keep in mind, none of this would have been an issue if you had followed the direction of the Trooper by not using them while the vehicle is in motion.

Good luck to you however you decide to proceed.
I didn't want to say this...but until you are hired. You're sucking everyones woo hoos. Then when you are hired...your primarily sucking your sergeants woo hoo
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
looks dumb anyway, take them out.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
AdamZ
Account Suspended

That's not nice lol
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
This is the part of being a grown up that sucks: Doing something you don't want to do because it's the right thing to do. Completely sucks that you were initially misinformed by the CHP, sucks even worse that they busted your balls over it.

But like others have said, if you want a job in this career field, just take the lights off. You'll be in a better position to fight for your cause once you're on their team. The last thing you want to do is jeopardize your career over a set of lights. Most jobs are very political, no reason to throw yourself into the crosshairs when you don't have to.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
People push the envelope and then get p*ssed when they get reprimanded. If the law states ANYTHING about not having LED lights on your car (regardless of color)....guess what, I'm NOT putting lights on my car. It's quite simple, why test the law?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Right or wrong if you want to be a CHP officer get rid of them NOW!
Maturity, attitude and obeying authority is a big part of that job.
When you apply for a CHP officer, you will disclose you are a CHP Explorer Scout on the application. First place CHP will start asking questions is the sergeant at the Chico CHP office. You need good references not sergeants questioning your decision making skills.
When you remove the lights, show the sergeant and then write a letter of apology.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
SBMARO'11
Banned

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS
what i heard is any other lights such as yours and under body and different colors are illegal becuase they can cuase a distraction on the road to other drivers idk some bullshit like that
SBMARO'11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
No need, I can do that.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote