Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-01-2021, 04:02 AM   #1
Faraz

Drives: 2015 chevy camaro 2lt
v6 cams

Are there any performance cam options for the V6 LFX engine?
Faraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Mace Engineering out of Australia makes some: https://www.maceengineering.com.au/e...ducts/CAM669-A

I plan to install mine this weekend and will also be making a guide on how to do it (assuming all works out fine ). There's a lack of DIY guides out there for this install so hopefully a guide will help anyone interested in installing these cams.

Check out the dyno chart here: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484209. You can see the cams - when properly tuned - not only make a fair bit more power at 6700 RPM, when the factory cams stop making power, but they keep making power to ~7500. Factory redline/limiter is 7150 but when I got my tune from Will @ Overkill he bumped up my limiter to 7400 (completely stock engine), and he knows these engines pretty well. Mace also has stiffer valve springs if you desire but I asked Will and he said he wouldn't recommend increasing the limiter past 7400 even with the stiffer springs.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:52 AM   #3
Faraz

Drives: 2015 chevy camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Mace Engineering out of Australia makes some: https://www.maceengineering.com.au/e...ducts/CAM669-A

I plan to install mine this weekend and will also be making a guide on how to do it (assuming all works out fine ). There's a lack of DIY guides out there for this install so hopefully a guide will help anyone interested in installing these cams.

Check out the dyno chart here: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484209. You can see the cams - when properly tuned - not only make a fair bit more power at 6700 RPM, when the factory cams stop making power, but they keep making power to ~7500. Factory redline/limiter is 7150 but when I got my tune from Will @ Overkill he bumped up my limiter to 7400 (completely stock engine), and he knows these engines pretty well. Mace also has stiffer valve springs if you desire but I asked Will and he said he wouldn't recommend increasing the limiter past 7400 even with the stiffer springs.
Thank you, I will probably order some very soon and please keep me updated on the guide to installation because out here in VA mechanics love tp overcharge like crazy, and if you do dyno it or test the number could you ost them
Faraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

I'll definitely get it dyno'd when I'm done.

FYI I just attempted to do the install yesterday but lost a bit of confidence once I got to removing the high pressure fuel pump - it's pretty crowded back there and I wasn't sure if I would be able to remove the pump with the tools I had (not sure if anything specific is needed). Removing the pump requires removing the fuel piping, however, once removed the piping should be replaced with new, and I didn't want to remove them to find out I still couldn't get to the pump and thus blow $300 or so for the stupid piping since they can't - or shouldn't - be reused. I'm going to reach out to people who have done the install, or at least replaced the pump before, and then take another crack at it.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
Old 04-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Check out this thread from the Caddy forum on replacing the LLT HPFP. LFX is about the same but perhaps slightly easier since it has one ore more swivel connectors vs the LLTs fixed connectors that don’t have much slack in them.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/threa...ement.1088243/

Good luck!

Last edited by Pearlj10; 04-03-2021 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to post link.
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
KillboyPowerhead

Thanks! I remember seeing this thread before. You wouldn't happen to know if you need to remove a coolant line for the LFX? I can't remember but I don't think there was a coolant line in the way like there appears to be on the LLT. None of the manuals say to remove a coolant line either.

My only fear is potentially wasting $300 or so of the one-time-use piping if I still can't get the pump off with the tools I have, otherwise I'd just give 'er. From what I've seen in videos and pictures it looks like just common tools and the flare nut crowfoot are all that's needed. I'll take another crack at it in a couple of weekends.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I’m not sure about the coolant line on the LFX. Did you check out Rock Auto for those fuel lines? I remember seeing them on their site and not cringing too much at the price.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,fuel+rail,832
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
KillboyPowerhead

I already have the piping which I bought from the dealer - although the dealer prices might be a bit higher I don't have to pay shipping or possibly exchange rate (live in Canada) so in the end they were about the same price, and were a little over $300 for both if I recall.

One pain as mentioned in the Caddy forum is the LFX rail pressure sensor/connector being right beside the low pressure piping connection and in front of the lower pump mounting bolt - if it wasn't for this stupid placement I think it would be a breeze.

I think I've seen enough regarding the removal/install of the HPFP on other LFX and LLT variants that I think I'll just remove the piping and go for it; just need to wait for a weekend since it's a DD.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
bertie

Drives: 2001 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlj10 View Post
Check out this thread from the Caddy forum on replacing the LLT HPFP. LFX is about the same but perhaps slightly easier since it has one ore more swivel connectors vs the LLTs fixed connectors that don’t have much slack in them.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/threa...ement.1088243/

Good luck!
My buddy recently got this 2008 CTS project. That looks like the best route for this job. We'll work on it after the installation of the set of tires from 4Wheelonline.
bertie is offline   Reply With Quote