Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Definitive answer on jack stand location?

I know there are many threads on this and I've read them all. I've posted in a few and never get a straight forward answer.

I have the ZL1 Addons lift pads, I had been using them for my jack stands as well. While it was solid enough, I never liked the way it felt. Then a few months ago I saw the Lethal Camaro vid saying we should NOT use the lift pads with jack stands: https://youtu.be/NX_Qf9wSwos

I am a bit concerned (and honestly afraid) about using the front jack stand points. Does anyone place their jack stands in the areas listed in the vid? What does everyone else do? Do we have an official word from GM on what to do?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:10 AM   #2
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
there have been many definitive answers on this and even picture diagrams
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
there have been many definitive answers on this and even picture diagrams
I have not seen anything that doesn't explicitly mention the pinch welds as far as pictures go.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
I jack from the pinch welds and I use jack stands directly on the pinch welds. I've never used lift pads nor have I ever seen the need to use them. I also Jack from the rear diff brace. I've had two gen-6 Camaros and that's the way I've always done it without any issues. I'm not really sure why they seems to be so much difficulty in jacking a car off the ground safely.

Edit, I'll just add that all my floor jacks have the notched pads for jacking from pinch welds.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1550406528
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

The two middle boxes in that picture are for jacking up the side of the car. The four outer boxes are for your jack stands to be located on the pinch welds.
Lots of information on this. Just use the search function.
When I jack my car up I use a magnetic jack pad that goes over the pinch weld where you are going to jack the car up.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
camaroJD

I guess I wasn't clear about what I was asking. I know all about the pinch welds, I have the lift pads which I found out are NOT to be used with jack stands. The video I posted shows alternative jack stand locations. Does anyone use these points or know of an official word from GM about using these areas?
Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
I just use the pinch welds highlighted in the Lethal Camaro video. Super easy and straightforward. Why make it more complicated?
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
I guess I wasn't clear about what I was asking. I know all about the pinch welds, I have the lift pads which I found out are NOT to be used with jack stands. The video I posted shows alternative jack stand locations. Does anyone use these points or know of an official word from GM about using these areas?
Well I will go out on a a limb and say that I'm sure the definitive word from GM is going to be to only Jack from the pinch weld jack points. That is why they put them there, and that's likely been the company line since they did away with steel bumpers. LOL.

A quick look at the video, tells me that there are few of his point that I do not agree with. Mostly because I don't see any reason for them. And just because something is a connection Point does not mean that is designed to Bear the full weight of the vehicle.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

I’m gonna agree with Zaqwert here.
The connection point I don’t necessarily agree with.
The subframe I don’t see a problem there and same with the diff brace but I will say with the diff brace, personally, I would like to have my jack stands spread further apart from each other than what he showed in the video. Further apart will make the car more stable in my opionion.
I’m a licensed tech for both auto and heavy equipment and unless I’m dealing with a rot box of a vehicle I typically use the pinch welds or frame/subframe.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
Well I will go out on a a limb and say that I'm sure the definitive word from GM is going to be to only Jack from the pinch weld jack points. That is why they put them there, and that's likely been the company line since they did away with steel bumpers. LOL.

A quick look at the video, tells me that there are few of his point that I do not agree with. Mostly because I don't see any reason for them. And just because something is a connection Point does not mean that is designed to Bear the full weight of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I’m gonna agree with Zaqwert here.
The connection point I don’t necessarily agree with.
The subframe I don’t see a problem there and same with the diff brace but I will say with the diff brace, personally, I would like to have my jack stands spread further apart from each other than what he showed in the video. Further apart will make the car more stable in my opionion.
I’m a licensed tech for both auto and heavy equipment and unless I’m dealing with a rot box of a vehicle I typically use the pinch welds or frame/subframe.

Thanks, those were my thoughts too. I'm most concerned about destroying something by using the front "subframe" points. I would be curious to know why ZL1 Addons doesn't want us using the lift pads with stands too. I'm guessing someone did something stupid and blamed them.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #12
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
My jackstand notch fits the aluminum lift pad shown in the video works like a champ.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #13
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
Thanks, those were my thoughts too. I'm most concerned about destroying something by using the front "subframe" points. I would be curious to know why ZL1 Addons doesn't want us using the lift pads with stands too. I'm guessing someone did something stupid and blamed them.
Well I wouldn't use them for that, cuz they're kind of a rounded bottom. It looks like it wouldn't take too much for them to slide off a jack stand. I guess I'm a weirdo, but I just don't see any point in having something in between the Jack and the car. It just seems like it's one more potential for something to go wrong.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'm not a fan of the jack stand points used in that video. It may work, but the spots he's using aren't specifically designed to support the vehicle like that. I'm personally leery about doing that with newer cars where the chassis structure is more "optimized" to only support loads in their intended direction for weight reduction. Not worth the risk of a damaged unibody structure IMO.

GM's service manual lists only the pinch welds along the side as suitable jacking points for our cars. Base cars can also use the steel cross-brace that runs under the engine, but Camaros with the aluminum cross-brace can't.

Since the lift pads are really only useful for lifting with a hoist or quick-jacks and are a tire-shredding hazard otherwise (if they fall off while driving), I'd suggest pulling them and using jack stands on the pinch welds and then bolting them back on before using a hoist or taking it somewhere that will use one. Alternatively, you could order a set of flat-top jack stands or rig up a puck adapter for your current jack stands, but those won't necessarily be as stable as using the pinch welds directly when using a floor jack to lift one side at a time.