Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
hfur
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Chevy camaro
advice for potential new purchase

I contacted a dealer thats about 40 miles from my house for a 2020 new camaro. they didnt have what i wanted but they said they could get the car which is at another 2 states away. They said that they would get the vehicle for me but i would have to come to their dealer and do an apprasial and run credit...which is fine by me...but then I would have to sign for the vehicle and buy the vehicle first before they could go get it for me. I don't mind doing the credit check and apparisal, but i do not want to sign anything until I see the car first and check it out. Now, I know things are different with covid-19 and all that, but is this standard procedure for dealerships? suppose i purchase the car and it never shows up or when it shows up it is not the "right" one, so you see why I am leery to "sign before I drive"...any advice?
hfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Advice is the obvious: just say no.

Here's what I tell dealers when I'm shopping. "I want this car but I don't need it".

And there's no "standard procedure" either. If you want to buy a car on your terms, you can usually do it. But if not, walk away and go somewhere else.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
My wife sees my ZL1 everyday and now she wants something “Zippy” herself... as a result I’m in the throws of purchasing a new car for her right now (sorry fellas two Camaro’s doesn’t work for us), and am faced with the same challenge. The one she’s looking for isn’t exactly common and there are only 3 in Ontario. One happened to be only 90 minutes away (they didn’t give up the location easily), and even though they had provided pictures, I drove to check out the car myself. When I did I found body damage (minor but there), on the drivers side bumper. The salesman tried to tell me it was a bunch of adhesive that holds the protective plastic on the car but I schooled him. Someone had scraped it up driving it into their display area. If you’re at all anal like me about your vehicles, check over the vehicle that you’re about to purchase thoroughly. I would make your approval of the vehicles condition a tipping point on whether you purchase or not. I did. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No deal hfur! You could go thru the dealer 2 states away yourself if you know what dealer has the Camaro you are considering to purchase. Call the sales department and talk to a salesperson and do the deal yourself. They will handle everything for you even a trade in that you might have. I would not go thru that dealership that is 40 miles from you because of what they told you.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
ride_002000

Drives: 2016 F150
Tell them you won't finalize paperwork until final inspection.
ride_002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
NeXvZEiN

Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
I bought my 2020 off the truck, sight unseen, a few weeks ago. Zero issues, and if there had been I would have walked on the deal. Don't sign any financing docs until the car gets there, ever. Beyond that you're fine since nothing is legally binding. Background, I work as a mortgage broker, not quite the same, but I know a few things and I can be a raging asshole. As long as you don't sign the financing docs you're fine. The shipping should be on their dime, period. Your financial responsibilities start when you sign the last document and take the keys, not until.
NeXvZEiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
There is a considerable expense to the dealership to trade or purchase a locate vehicle for a customer. So, yes, they will want a signed commitment from you that you are buying the car before they go get it. They are not going to go through this expense just have the customer say, either I changed my mind, or I don't want the car. It has to be a done deal. They will take your trade, and give you something to drive until the car arrives.

The dealership should provide you with the window sticker, to ensure it has everything you want. If it's not on the Monroney, it's not on the car. They should also verify with that dealer the mileage.

It is a small gamble on your part. However, as long as everything is verified about the car, it's options and mileage, these transactions typically go very smoothly.

Your other options are to find out who has that car, and do a remote purchase and once the deal is funded, arrange for transport and go get it. Keep in mind, that if it shows up with a couple pf scratches etc. You really have no convenient recourse like you would if you had your dealer go get it.

Or, you can just order the car spec'd out the way you want.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
As others have stated, NO WAY you should sign anything until you can inspect/drive the car. I've had several cars that were "located" and didn't sign anything until I checked the car out. One, several years ago, was located and towed to the delivering dealership. I showed-up to inspect/drive it and it wouldn't even start. They ran diagnostics on it and couldn't figure-out why. Needless to say, I didn't purchase it. They located another one and I took delivery the following week. Better safe than sorry!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
They all want a basic deal inplace, all the parts right up to the business office part of signing the sales contract and all the legal stuff. Approved financing, trade in appraisal, etc etc They'll never go and get you a car to look at without a significant portion of the deal already in place. If you're in the business office signing a sales contract BEFORE they go and get the car, I would balk at that.
Last car I had brought in from out of state I recall going in and driving it and inspecting and then the business office stuff occurred.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I had to pay for my Mazdaspeed 3 in full back in 2011 when I bought it from a dealer 100 miles away. It was not a locate from a local dealer though, I bought it direct. Usually from my experience when you buy local and they locate and transfer to the local dealer you give a deposit and pay or finance in full when you take delivery.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
There is a considerable expense to the dealership to trade or purchase a locate vehicle for a customer. So, yes, they will want a signed commitment from you that you are buying the car before they go get it. They are not going to go through this expense just have the customer say, either I changed my mind, or I don't want the car. It has to be a done deal. They will take your trade, and give you something to drive until the car arrives.

The dealership should provide you with the window sticker, to ensure it has everything you want. If it's not on the Monroney, it's not on the car. They should also verify with that dealer the mileage.

It is a small gamble on your part. However, as long as everything is verified about the car, it's options and mileage, these transactions typically go very smoothly.

Your other options are to find out who has that car, and do a remote purchase and once the deal is funded, arrange for transport and go get it. Keep in mind, that if it shows up with a couple pf scratches etc. You really have no convenient recourse like you would if you had your dealer go get it.

Or, you can just order the car spec'd out the way you want.

Yes this... If I was the car dealer, why would I buy a car from another dealer in hopes that you follow through? If you don't, now it's their car and their expense. I bought my car sight unseen and had it shipped. Work with the dealer that has the car and have them provide you everything you want. Do a video walk around of the car.. etc.. make sure you are comfortable and buy it from them. Don't go through another dealer.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
if what you want isn't within distance of you going to get it yourself, why not just order the car new and wait?

Plus, i'd be willing to bet they were going to get a salesman to go drive the car back personally, rather than transport it on a truck.

If what you want is that rare, just order it as a 2021. It'll take longer but you'll get exactly what you want.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
FWIW I bought my 2020 new in February. They located one with options I wanted and it was about 200mi away. I put down a deposit and I believe I signed a contract. Then they brought it back on a trailer. It had about 10mi on it when I got it. Obviously if something were wrong with it - i.e. if it were not in new condition - I would have either not bought it or they would have had to make sure it was fixed properly (i'm talking issues like a scuff - if it's really damaged then forget it). It's a brand new car, so I don't see what the big deal is. As others have said, they'd be idiotic to go through the trouble of transporting the car without a commitment to buy it.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:32 AM   #14
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I'd just deal with dealer that has the car, if you know who it is. May be time for road trip to see it, I bought mine 4 hours away. Took the drive, I had a trade and drove home with new car.
If you find out what dealer has it, post new thread asking if anyone lives in that area and would go to check it out, in return a dinner gift card would be cool.
bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote