Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Modified Camaro & Oregon

Hello All,

My wife and I are thinking about a move out west to Portland, and I'm debating if the camaro would be able to make the trip or if its better to sell her off.

Its my understanding that in Portland and the surrounding area, emissions are part of the yearly inspection. However, the test is simply a plug in to the computer test. Thus, since I throw no codes, I shouldn't have an issue passing, is that correct? For inspections, will they look for anything in particular?

Where I live in PA, its no emissions, just a visual inspection and the cats have to visually be there. Nothing else.

How does oregon compare?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Hello All,

My wife and I are thinking about a move out west to Portland, and I'm debating if the camaro would be able to make the trip or if its better to sell her off.

Its my understanding that in Portland and the surrounding area, emissions are part of the yearly inspection. However, the test is simply a plug in to the computer test. Thus, since I throw no codes, I shouldn't have an issue passing, is that correct? For inspections, will they look for anything in particular?

Where I live in PA, its no emissions, just a visual inspection and the cats have to visually be there. Nothing else.

How does oregon compare?

Thanks!
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you're moving to the most automotive unfriendly city in the country. Anyway, testing is required biennially. The following site might be helpful:

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/Vehicle-I...t-Methods.aspx

See the 'Special Tips to Pass the Oregon Emissions Test' section:

https://www.emissions.org/loc/oregon-emissions-testing/

Otherwise, welcome to Oregon.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
I have a built 5th gen and didn't have a problem going through DEQ but I did have my Hi-flow cats on at the time.
You shouldn't have any problems unless your car is showing a code.
If you move out, look me up. You may also want to check out Columbia River Camaro Club. A bunch of great guys and gals.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by owhite3003 View Post
I have a built 5th gen and didn't have a problem going through DEQ but I did have my Hi-flow cats on at the time.
If you move out, look me up. You may also want to check out Columbia River Camaro Club. A bunch of great guys and gals.
Hey Orion, I finally went to the meeting this month & joined the club. It was a last minute decision. Will you be at the August meeting?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Hey Orion, I finally went to the meeting this month & joined the club. It was a last minute decision. Will you be at the August meeting?
Glad to hear that buddy, I usually don't make the meetings due to the time of day and traffic from my house. They are a great group of people and I think you may enjoy it. We have been doing some Camaro runs outside of the group as well. We have a coast run coming up. If we aren't friends on Facebook, add me in and I will add you to the group chat.
Orion White in Oregon City.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by owhite3003 View Post
That makes me more optimistic. I still have hi-flows on, though I'm sure the zinc in the oil is destroying them. So you're thinking I should be able to pass? Are you cammed? Do you run a zinc based oil?

The way I was reading the above links was that I had to pass both the plug and a sniffer. I'll pass the plug, but lol @ the sniffer (the car smells like cancer from behind).
Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
That makes me more optimistic. I still have hi-flows on, though I'm sure the zinc in the oil is destroying them. So you're thinking I should be able to pass? Are you cammed? Do you run a zinc based oil?

The way I was reading the above links was that I had to pass both the plug and a sniffer. I'll pass the plug, but lol @ the sniffer (the car smells like cancer from behind).
I run a semi large blower cam and I run Driven Racing oil with Zinc. They just plugged into the computer and all was well. Hope to see you soon.
Orion.
You will definitely want the Camaro out here for running up and down the coast and mountains.lol

Last edited by owhite3003; 07-20-2018 at 11:19 AM.