Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #113
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
OK, I'll give you that, so sports cars have two seats & pony/muscle cars are Americanisms reserved for the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger. How are vehicles such as the BMW M4 & Lexus RC F defined? They're definitely more than GT cars.

I consider them high performance luxury coupes. But, given that BMW has an M4 'GTS' version, I'm guessing even BMW leans towards it being in the 'GT' class. It is obvious the lines are getting more and more blurred in regards to what 'category' a vehicle falls in and many are starting to fall in to multiple. I'm not going to try to be an expert on classifying every car or try to; however many, to include myself, believe that when it comes to what classifies as a true sports car, it will not change. A sports car is designed for spirited road racing/driving; the design includes a good balance between weight, handling and horse power to maximize performance through the curves and, as part of the weight and other issues, to accommodate a driver and 'co-pilot' (only) ...anything else is something else.

This doesn't mean I appreciate or enjoy any high performance vehicle any more or less then the other; the fact I have a Corvette and Camaro in my garage reflects that. Two totally different animals which I enjoy equally for very different reasons.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #114
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
This doesn't mean I appreciate or enjoy any high performance vehicle any more or less then the other; the fact I have a Corvette and Camaro in my garage reflects that. Two totally different animals which I enjoy equally for very different reasons.
I'm curious, so here's a tough & probably on this forum unfair question: Is the Corvette or Camaro more fun to drive? If you could only keep one, based on the fun factor, which would it be & why?
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:59 PM   #115
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
I'm curious, so here's a tough & probably on this forum unfair question: Is the Corvette or Camaro more fun to drive? If you could only keep one, based on the fun factor, which would it be & why?
Fortunately, I'm in a position where I don't have to make that decision; but if I was, I would give up my Camaro, even though it is newer then then my Vette. They are both great and fun cars; but I am more of a road course kind of person. I love pressing my cars through the windy roads, which are abundant around here, and the Corvette, although 7 years older, definitely out performs the Camaro in this area. When traffic permits, I can easily take the curves posted at 40-45 MPH in the Corvette in close to and often in over triple digits with ease while maintaining my lane. In the Camaro, although it has some great handling, I have to knock off at least 5-10 mph or more in the same curves. Even my wife, who enjoys it when I'm driving spiritedly, notices the difference in how the cars handle.

Last edited by Welker2; 04-28-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #116
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Fortunately, I'm in a position where I don't have to make that decision; but if i was, Ii would give up my Camaro, even though it is newer then then my Vette. They are both great and fun cars; but I am more of a road course kind of person. I love pressing my cars my cars through the windy roads, which are abundant around here, and the Corvette, although 7 years older, definitely out performs the Camaro in this area. When traffic permits, I can easily take the curves posted at 40-45 MPH in the Corvette in close to and often in over triple digits with ease while maintaining my lane. In the Camaro, although it has some great handling, I have to knock off at least 5-10 mph or more in the same curves. Even my wife, who enjoys it when I'm driving spiritedly, notices the difference how the cars handle.
The vette would be nice but I really like the look of the 5th gen....if I did step up to a vette..its ZR1 all the way.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #117
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Fortunately, I'm in a position where I don't have to make that decision; but if I was, I would give up my Camaro, even though it is newer then then my Vette. They are both great and fun cars; but I am more of a road course kind of person. I love pressing my cars through the windy roads, which are abundant around here, and the Corvette, although 7 years older, definitely out performs the Camaro in this area. When traffic permits, I can easily take the curves posted at 40-45 MPH in the Corvette in close to and often in over triple digits with ease while maintaining my lane. In the Camaro, although it has some great handling, I have to knock off at least 5-10 mph or more in the same curves. Even my wife, who enjoys it when I'm driving spiritedly, notices the difference in how the cars handle.
I was in the same situation as you for several years. I bought a new 2004 Corvette Commemorative Edition with the Z51 handling package and the performance axle. I also bought in 2011 a new Camaro SS with the plan of selling the Corvette. I had owned Corvettes for about 20 years and was ready to go back to a muscle car for a while. But once I got in the 2011 Camaro SS and got past the retro look and the nicer ride the sluggish shifting A6 and overall weight of the vehicle kicked in when I took it out in the curves compared to the Corvette. Both great cars but I couldn't part with the Corvette after owning the Camaro for a few months. I loved the snap response and handling of the Corvette but, the ride and looks of the SS. Both were very low miles cars, I think my Corvette only had about 28,000 miles on it when I sold it last year. Now comes the day when my wife said "do you really need both.. Why don't you drive a new Corvette or Camaro and pick one that you like that does everything.." (I'm keeping her..LOL)

I drove the C7 and it is a great car but I still had my heart set on a muscle car look that I would enjoy.. And I just was ready for a change from the Corvette. I still love the looks of my SS and really considered sending it to Hennessey to have them do some work to the 2011 SS.

Then I drove a new 2017 Camaro SS. It handles every bit as good as my C5 Corvette and had that fast snap response. The new SS is like driving a Corvette with a back seat. So I said bye to the 2011 SS and 2004 Corvette and got the best of both worlds in the 2017 Camaro SS.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #118
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Then I drove a new 2017 Camaro SS. It handles every bit as good as my C5 Corvette and had that fast snap response. The new SS is like driving a Corvette with a back seat. So I said bye to the 2011 SS and 2004 Corvette and got the best of both worlds in the 2017 Camaro SS.
In your opinion, what makes the 6th generation SS such a dramatic improvement over the 5th generation SS? It feel it must be more than some increased horses & reduced weight.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #119
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
In your opinion, what makes the 6th generation SS such a dramatic improvement over the 5th generation SS? It feel it must be more than some increased horses & reduced weight.
Its the Alpha platform . Have you driven a 6Th Gen SS ?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #120
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Weight reduction plays a large roll. And of course the chassis change along with what 9 years tech upgrades available.

Last edited by rontammy0; 04-29-2018 at 12:16 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #121
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Unfortunately, it was a too brief test drive when it first came out & there wasn't an opportunity to push it.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #122
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I guess I'm going to have to take one for a test drive. It would have to be a huge difference to pry my hands off my 15 1LE... especially when I could drop money in it to tighten up the suspension even more, beef up the engine, and be ahead financially.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #123
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Weight reduction plays a large roll.
PDXSSCE

I'm adding to the comments already made. I think it is a combination of several things

1. As listed above the Alpha platform was already a award winner with the Cadillac ATS, the lighter chassis is more rigid than the Zeta by more than 20%
2. The LT1 has 55 more HP and add the quick shifting A8 the car moves much more crisp and feels lighter like the Corvette
3. Added Driving modes, a carry over from the C7 Corvette along with the magnetic ride control it's a animal on a open back road
4. Using lighter materials and reduction in over all size helps cut close to 300 pounds
5. Just the driver interface with the small flat bottom wheel from the C7 Corvette adds to the overall experience.
6. I personally feel the car comes back closer to it's roots being much closer to the original size of the GEN1 Camaro.

When I drive mine it just feels tighter and smaller around the curves and still provides much more room inside compared to a new Corvette..

That's my opinion I know everyone has one..

PS: Post a picture of your Corvette.. I'm guessing it is a C6 era.. The white one in the sig below belongs to a buddy of mine. I drove it back from his place in the mountains to detail it for the event below. About a 3 hour drive.. I had a good time. The picture was taken inside the Corvette Museum of our cars in a show..

Last edited by Memphis SS; 04-29-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #124
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I guess I'm going to have to take one for a test drive. It would have to be a huge difference to pry my hands off my 15 1LE... especially when I could drop money in it to tighten up the suspension even more, beef up the engine, and be ahead financially.
As a whole the difference is huge ,you get much more with 6th Gen 1LE as far as interior and technology ,the Recaro seats and eLSD is icing on the cake. I test drove a 2017 Z51 Corvette and i came out of it disappointed , i think i was just expecting much more coming from a Gen5 1LE . When i first sat in a Gen6 1Le it just felt perfect ,within a quarter mile my mind was made up ,ended up being a 10 mile test drive tho. I didn't plan on buying the Gen 6th i really wanted a Corvette but i am glad i didn't get all caught up with the Corvette legend thing. I also test drove a 2010 GS Corvette and a 15 Z28 .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #125
TooManyProjects

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Just got to correct you on that man it must have been the turbo 4 you test drove because the V6 pulls like a bat out of hell all the way up to redline that's where most of its power is.
This is the first time I've ever seen someone say " a v6 pulls like a bat out of hell" Lol mother of god... people must really get used to slow cars

My old 2JZ ( mind you it was an I6) but still.. 6... never had the " bat out of hell feel"
TooManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #126
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
As a whole the difference is huge ,you get much more with 6th Gen 1LE as far as interior and technology ,the Recaro seats and eLSD is icing on the cake. I test drove a 2017 Z51 Corvette and i came out of it disappointed , i think i was just expecting much more coming from a Gen5 1LE . When i first sat in a Gen6 1Le it just felt perfect ,within a quarter mile my mind was made up ,ended up being a 10 mile test drive tho. I didn't plan on buying the Gen 6th i really wanted a Corvette but i am glad i didn't get all caught up with the Corvette legend thing. I also test drove a 2010 GS Corvette and a 15 Z28 .
I sat in a ZL1 1LE at Chevy's pre Auto Show event here in Denver... All I can say is I might sit and see what I can get this coming 4th of July.
Attached Images

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote