Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #407
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
If a 2800 USD difference is too much for a performance car then you shouldn't buy it.

That's a car made for fun, not an all purpose one. If you're low on cash, you should better spare money than buy a car you don't actually need
Not sure if this is directed at me, because I posted that Meme. it was a joke.

In either case, it's much more than a $2800 difference. Lots of factors come into play. Like people that got a 5th gen SS without the rs package and was totally happy with it, but would like to upgrade, but is now required to have it. And then you have the other options such as an automatic transmission, dual mode exhaust, mag ride, etc to add to the cost.

if it is possible to get a bare bones SS and just add what you want, i'm sure the price point would be lower.

as is, I agree, the price really isn't terrible, since you get a lot. But some people may not want all the gadgets, and would like the option of not getting them. They are pushing this sports car to be more of a luxury sports car. Which there is nothing wrong with that, if that's what they want to do, but there should be an option for just a sports car.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #408
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
If a 2800 USD difference is too much for a performance car then you shouldn't buy it.

That's a car made for fun, not an all purpose one. If you're low on cash, you should better spare money than buy a car you don't actually need
Actually the 2ss has gone up $3995 ($38,300 to $42,295) and that's before adding tax ($340 (8.5%)), automatic ($1495), npp exhaust ($895), magnetic ride control ($1695), sunroof ($900), wheels ($200-800), blacked out bowties/tail lights ($na), car cover ($300), navigation ($495), premium paint ($395), interior trim ($500), stripe ($470)...

$2845 if you consider the standard RS package combined with the automatic transmission increasing $200.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #409
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I agree everyone is in the market for a different reason. I also agree for the mass casual V8 car buyer this car might be out of reach for them now....

What we do not know is what GM's target audience is. What personas they are targeting and what their end game is for the full line from 1LT - Z/28.

We all know items that are standard will most likely become options and the price will be able to come down. This is the first year run on this new car and Chevy has some growing to do around it.

Nothing is wrong with the 2015 Camaro. It just doesn't offer as much as the 2016. But looking back at the 2015 I think everyone can agree the interior was very bare bones and to make it look good required a better design that requires more money.

If anything, people are just upset they can no longer afford the 2016 car they were hoping for. Crap I know my car is on the edge of my budget. I also know my wife wants to kill me for getting a new car so soon. But I am buying this car as my forever car or until I make more money and can afford a ZL1. But have 3 boys and 1 on the way... it isn't going to happen.
Aside from extreme cases where a car just isn't selling, I don't think there are many examples of a base price on a car going down in the second year. I think they will end up holding pricing the same for the 2017's if sales are sluggish, but it seems unlikely they will start removing standard options to lower the base price of any of the trim levels. I think GM is content with lower volume and higher margins on this car.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #410
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Honestly we don't have the full breakdown of fifth generation Camaro sales data to really see what people actually ordered.

For example if they sold very few LS Camaros (and I remember that was an issue early on) then they might have made the choice to ditch that trim level. The 1SS Camaro is cheaper if you want a base 1SS with 1LE package ($38,000) and honestly that is the only way minimum I would take a fifth generation SS Camaro then the price has actually gone down. For $37,000 you are getting a 1SS 1LE with RS package on the car and that is actually really good value. We will see how things shake out after about a year of these cars hitting dealer lots (early on its going to move fast).

At the same time maybe Chevy is leaving space open under the Camaro for another performance vehicle to slot in.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #411
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Aside from extreme cases where a car just isn't selling, I don't think there are many examples of a base price on a car going down in the second year. I think they will end up holding pricing the same for the 2017's if sales are sluggish, but it seems unlikely they will start removing standard options to lower the base price of any of the trim levels. I think GM is content with lower volume and higher margins on this car.
I only outlined things that are standard that are above and beyinf the 2015 iptiins will probably become optional.

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 08-23-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #412
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:

See previous post: bullshit argument.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #413
77Z85

Drives: 2013 RY SS Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Honestly we don't have the full breakdown of fifth generation Camaro sales data to really see what people actually ordered.

For example if they sold very few LS Camaros (and I remember that was an issue early on) then they might have made the choice to ditch that trim level. The 1SS Camaro is cheaper if you want a base 1SS with 1LE package ($38,000) and honestly that is the only way minimum I would take a fifth generation SS Camaro then the price has actually gone down. For $37,000 you are getting a 1SS 1LE with RS package on the car and that is actually really good value. We will see how things shake out after about a year of these cars hitting dealer lots (early on its going to move fast).

At the same time maybe Chevy is leaving space open under the Camaro for another performance vehicle to slot in.
Fbodfather had a breakdown of sales of models,trans, color, etc.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #414
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
I started with a 2010 1LT, enjoyed it but the interior was too bare bones for me. So I upgraded to a 2014 2LT and while I enjoy the interior, besides all the rattles, I feel I want better performance. So the only way I get a new Camaro is if it's a V8. I love technology too, so I like all the new stuff in the 2016. I knew it was going to be expensive, but around $42,000 was what I was hoping to get one for. Now with the official pricing being released I see the only way to get under that amount is with a 1SS and while it does have the performance it's missing lots of the tech and luxury that the 2SS has. So it's kind of made me pause and I have no idea what ill do now. Still hoping GM supplier pricing is allowed on the 2016. If so I may go all in for a 2SS.

Sorry for this kind of pointless rant. I guess my point is that I see myself keeping a fully loaded 2SS for the long run. And not feeling the need to trade it in like I did with my 2010 and possibly 2014.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #415
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:

+1. I hate that some people's budgets apparently happen to fall just short of being able to own the best performing and best looking car in the segment. But I'm excited for the ones who are about to experience the thrill! You get what you pay for!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #416
soSincerious
waiting to test drive SS

Drives: '14 mustang GT
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
... maybe Chevy is leaving space open under the Camaro for another performance vehicle to slot in.
you really think chevy will come out with another performance car? they already have the camaro, SS sedan and corvette ...

is it too much to ask for a no options SS? I would love to know their reasoning behind no longer being able to build a car with the only options you want. I was blown away when I recently priced out a 2015 camaro ... all the options boxes you can check off is crazy!

what I love about my mustang is that you can get a base GT with no fancy options, just the stuff you need.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #417
Yam Fam

Drives: none
I'll be just saving a bit longer for a larger down payment. It will be mine.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #418
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:

I don't have any experience with Mustangs (and I think the new Mustang is beautiful), but I've been driving Fords for the past 3 years and the quality is absolute shit on the new cars specifically explorer and Taurus. I've never seen a car with 8-12k miles have so many problems I cant believe how they could let some of this stuff slide. My 2011 camaro has been the only GM vehicle I've ever owned and the most solid vehicle I've ever owned. If the 6th gen is just aa solid then That piece of mind is worth the extra money for me.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #419
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Pretty sure you got a warranty back in '99 as well
I was referring to the people saying get a several-year-old used car or do a restomod on an older muscle car.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #420
Tractionless

Drives: '03 Silverado
This is a sports/performance car. Price increased over outgoing model, ok, now show us what this car is capable of GM. Many customers have already placed an order for the car and we are yet to even see a good video of the SS going around a track. What gives?!?

I mean, how long has it been since the SIX was reveled and we yet to know its weight, let alone any performance numbers aside from hp & tq like; quarter mile, braking distance, lateral accel., etc.? So we've been told it was tuned in 8 different tracks, what were the track times, and how do they compare against the outgoing model?

Its my feeling that people wouldn't be moaning and freaking out as much if some actual performance numbers to back up the price bump had been reveled. Once we know what its capable of, we can compare stats and make a decision if the car's price increased is justifiable, which I'm sure it will be, but proof is of the essence.

Just my 2 pennies.

Closed Thread