Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
lamontoclese

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Thank you all for your input... I'm liking the long tube Injen CAI and am probably going with that. My only other question is will it pass a smog down the road? Keep in mind... CA.
lamontoclese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontoclese View Post
Thank you all for your input... I'm liking the long tube Injen CAI and am probably going with that. My only other question is will it pass a smog down the road? Keep in mind... CA.
None are smog legal here yet. None have the carbon trap in the lid as the stock one does. Juts take it off when you go for smog in 5-6 years
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Quote:
You'd have to drive through 22" of standing water, completely submerging the filter, to worry about hydrolock with the long tube Injen. No offense, but you'd either have to be a complete idiot, or suffer an act of God, in order to do that.
Well, I'm here in SoCal where we get about 10" of rain a year. But like I said in another thread, I have a friend who owns his own repair shop specializing in imports. When I mentioned to him that I was looking at getting the Injen for my car he told me I should reconsider. Said he knew two guys who'd destroyed their engines by sucking water through a CAI in the past year. I didn't ask, but there's no where around here that gets 22" of water ever. Maybe half that on the worst day. I guess I'm still not convinced you'd have to completely submerge the filter to blow the engine.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
lamontoclese

Could someone post a pic of the location of the filter when the CAI is installed please? I'm just curious to see exactly where and how low it sits. I get nervous when I hear possible engine damage. Last time it rained here my car was nearly floating across the road while I was driving haha. And I do plan on lowering the car about 1" in the future if that even makes a difference in regards to this topic. Oh and also just curious... is there room to fit a throttle body spacer using the long tube Injen CAI? Thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontoclese View Post
Could someone post a pic of the location of the filter when the CAI is installed please? I'm just curious to see exactly where and how low it sits. I get nervous when I hear possible engine damage. Last time it rained here my car was nearly floating across the road while I was driving haha. And I do plan on lowering the car about 1" in the future if that even makes a difference in regards to this topic. Oh and also just curious... is there room to fit a throttle body spacer using the long tube Injen CAI? Thanks everyone!
Try this thread out for some good photos of where the filter sits.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=injen
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
Well, I'm here in SoCal where we get about 10" of rain a year. But like I said in another thread, I have a friend who owns his own repair shop specializing in imports. When I mentioned to him that I was looking at getting the Injen for my car he told me I should reconsider. Said he knew two guys who'd destroyed their engines by sucking water through a CAI in the past year. I didn't ask, but there's no where around here that gets 22" of water ever. Maybe half that on the worst day. I guess I'm still not convinced you'd have to completely submerge the filter to blow the engine.
I live just down the 91 from you in Riverside, there was some really bad flooding in my area during the last storm, IMHO if you have the hydroshield there should be no problem. I had to drive through some pretty wicked puddles to make it home and had no real problems, definitely recommend the shield though.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
lamontoclese

Thanks Demon Hunter... that makes me feel better. And thanks to everyone else for the info and input!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
Classic_Engr

Drives: Camaro SS
Question Anyone try the AEM Pre-Filter Wrap for rain?

Anyone try the AEM Dryflow "Pre-Filter" cover or Filter Wrap? It seems like it would work with either the InJen or AEM true CAI kits, but I'm not sure. From their website:

"AEM has released six pre-filter wraps for AEM DryFlow™ Air Filters. AEM DryFlow Pre-Filters are manufactured from a durable micro-screen material and pretreated with a proprietary hydrophobic process designed to prevent splashes of water or mud from saturating your DryFlow air filter."

Sounds like quite a claim and it seems a bit spendy, $$, but I guess it certainly beats repairing a damaged engine after sucking in a big glop of water. Anyone here try this yet? What do you guys think? Take a look:

AEM Dryflow Pre-Filter 1-4007 for V6 Camaro:
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=AEM-1-4007&cst=81515.1.0001

AEM Dryflow Pre-Filter Wraps:
http://www.aemintakes.com/news/news.aspx?ID=2496

I found this thing while researching here:
http://www.aemintakes.com/news/news.aspx?id=2721

I'm thinking about buying the AEM intake kit, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd like to hear more about it from other users first. My co-worker with a V6 already tried the InJen kit but returned it after it leaked oil at the breather connection. He also didn't like that their awesome looking Amsoil air filter actually rests on the stock plastic brush guard/belly pan below the bumper, practically blocking off the filter element in the nose cap. The brush guard was used as the support! (???) I didn't get why InJen would to that when they have such a good filter.

Of course, what I really want is a turbo, (too $$$$) but then I couldn't use a CAI anyway!
Classic_Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #23
Chevrolet1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Engr View Post
Anyone try the AEM Dryflow "Pre-Filter" cover or Filter Wrap? It seems like it would work with either the InJen or AEM true CAI kits, but I'm not sure. From their website:

"AEM has released six pre-filter wraps for AEM DryFlow™ Air Filters. AEM DryFlow Pre-Filters are manufactured from a durable micro-screen material and pretreated with a proprietary hydrophobic process designed to prevent splashes of water or mud from saturating your DryFlow air filter."

Sounds like quite a claim and it seems a bit spendy, $$, but I guess it certainly beats repairing a damaged engine after sucking in a big glop of water. Anyone here try this yet? What do you guys think? Take a look:

AEM Dryflow Pre-Filter 1-4007 for V6 Camaro:
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=AEM-1-4007&cst=81515.1.0001

AEM Dryflow Pre-Filter Wraps:
http://www.aemintakes.com/news/news.aspx?ID=2496

I found this thing while researching here:
http://www.aemintakes.com/news/news.aspx?id=2721

I'm thinking about buying the AEM intake kit, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd like to hear more about it from other users first. My co-worker with a V6 already tried the InJen kit but returned it after it leaked oil at the breather connection. He also didn't like that their awesome looking Amsoil air filter actually rests on the stock plastic brush guard/belly pan below the bumper, practically blocking off the filter element in the nose cap. The brush guard was used as the support! (???) I didn't get why InJen would to that when they have such a good filter.

Of course, what I really want is a turbo, (too $$$$) but then I couldn't use a CAI anyway!
....it seems all you talk about is AEM in all your post! Good way to bash other manufactures without paying sponsorship fees.
Chevrolet1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #24
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Has Anyone locked their engines yet that purchased any of these?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #25
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I lost a previous fairly new car to an urban flash flood and there are many places around here that you may be suddenly in a situation of running through deeper than you'd like water in a hard rain. That said, I felt much safer going with the Cold Air Inductions one and I like other characteristics of it better. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #26
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The Injen longtube filter is in the same location as the filter on my car with an IPF supercharger. I do not have a rain hydroshield on it and perhaps that would make a difference...

But I recently discovered I can no longer visit my "touchless" automatic car wash when I'm lazy and just want to knock the dust off (it's just water jets that pass around the car a few times).

I've tried it once with car idling and once with it shut off for the wash (yes, I'm really lazy, LOL) and each time when I tried to leave the car bucked and tried to stall for several miles.

I've got to get that rain shield on before my luck runs out and I get caught in a real downpour!

Here is JRE's results for V8 Camaro's- note the results of the CAI brand with a cold air scoop. I have to expect we would get a similar bump with that combo on the V6. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote