Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Working in parts at a dealership

I just got a new job in the parts department at a dealership and I do not understand the pay. To start there is a draw plus commission. Can any one help me understand what I'm getting myself into. Thank you for your input
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Commission in the parts department?

I don’t want that job or even be a customer at a place where they are try to upsell you and get you to buy stuff you don’t need at a dealership. If that’s how they all are that would be surprising. I was never asked to buy more at the dealer then what I asked for. Since I had to provide my own part number to the guy, he wasn’t trying very hard to begin with.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
From my understanding, from a find who sold cars, if you don’t sell enough parts to meet your financial needs the dealership will cover it, “the draw” then you have to pay it back as you earn more money. So if you do not sell shit for several weeks and have to make draws you’ll have to pay it back week by week thus still lowering your income. They better be a high volume parts center in order for you to do well.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
smokingcamaro

It is a high volume store almost $90k in a month so hopefully there will be money in this job!!
Old 10-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingcamaro View Post
I just got a new job in the parts department at a dealership and I do not understand the pay. To start there is a draw plus commission. Can any one help me understand what I'm getting myself into. Thank you for your input
I used to be a Motorsports Manager at a High End Porsche/BMW Dealer. Motorsports was part of Parts.

a Draw is basically an advance on your future commission. This is different than a Base plus Commission, which is more typical.

Did they give you any Numbers - Current Parts Sales, how many other guys, Commission Rate?

To be in Dealership Parts Sales, they usually hire experienced guys as you will need to know parts and the computer system. You will be "Selling" to Retail, Wholesale and to the Dealership (Parts Dept is separate from Sales or Service).

If you don't hit your Numbers, you will not make much money and you will be looking for a New Job.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Quote:
It is a high volume store almost $90k in a month so hopefully there will be money in this job!!
$90k is not a lot in a High Volume Dealership. In a H-V Dealership, you should be in the $300,000+ range.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
smokingcamaro

Unfortunately there will be zero base pay. It is all based on how much the parts department sells. Getting a little worried this not the job for me. I will the at the bottom so I know it's going to tough. They do have have a estimatated yearly pay of about $40,000. Wondering how true this is. Thank you for your responses
Old 10-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Why don’t you ask your boss to explain the pay?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
How can they force you to upsell auto parts? Seems shitty.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
How can they force you to upsell auto parts? Seems shitty.
It's not about Up-Selling Parts. In the Parts Dept, You have Wholesale Customers ( Repair Shops, Body Shops), you have Retail (People walking in just like a FLAPS) and you have Internal (the Dealership Repair Dept)

There is actually very little selling, but you have to be good with Part Numbers, the Computer and getting along with your other Team Members.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
BMR Sales

Quote:
Unfortunately there will be zero base pay. It is all based on how much the parts department sells. Getting a little worried this not the job for me. I will the at the bottom so I know it's going to tough. They do have have a estimatated yearly pay of about $40,000. Wondering how true this is. Thank you for your responses
If you are at a Good Dealership, you can make $40k. At the Dealership, I was at all the Parts guys shared equally in the Monthly Sales Commissions. As a Manager I was on a Salary, but I got a Bonus if the Parts Dept went over Quota.

You really need to talk to your Boss to fully understand your Pay Structure