Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Anyone have any idea what to do?

LS3 and I'm in the middle of doing a factory oil cooler delete when the coolant line going to the block was very tough to get out. Unusually tough for an aluminum plug. It stripped of course due to cross thread. I have a steel plug to put back in and tried to run it down, but there are not enough threads to get a bite. After some research, there is a TSB on this issue for the 2010 Camaros and it says it comes cross threaded from the factory. 28mmx1.25 so no one has a tap that big and I cant find a helicoil either. Found a tap on Amazon for 38 bucks, but wanted to get your opinions first. No one around here has a bolt that big I can run down to try to clean the threads.

Any advice on what I can do? I can get it very easily and straight, just not sure where to go from here.

Expansion plug?
Attached Images

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
There's a post about the TSB here where GM says the fix is to tap the threads. If you had a deeper plug or bolt you should be fine - note that the last three threads in the block are untouched. Tap it and then see if you can torque the plug to 37 ft lb spec, if not you're looking at custom machine work. I assume by the way that the hose has deeper threads and just replacing with a new hose may be an option.

The list of suppliers for the bottoming tap is included in the TSB BTW.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106511

Last edited by DaddySS; 01-07-2018 at 04:59 AM.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
There's a post about the TSB here where GM says the fix is to tap the threads. If you had a deeper plug or bolt you should be fine - note that the last three threads in the block are untouched. Tap it and then see if you can torque the plug to 37 ft-lb specs, if not you're looking at custom machine work. I assume by the way that the hose has deeper threads and just replacing with a new hose may be an option.

Great info thank you! Exactly what I have been looking for but couldn't seem to find. Much Appreciated
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
There's a post about the TSB here where GM says the fix is to tap the threads. If you had a deeper plug or bolt you should be fine - note that the last three threads in the block are untouched. Tap it and then see if you can torque the plug to 37 ft lb spec, if not you're looking at custom machine work. I assume by the way that the hose has deeper threads and just replacing with a new hose may be an option.

The first thing I tried was to find a deeper bolt to fit. No place around here has that big in M sizes. Thinking about taking the plug to a machine shop and seeing if they can build me a steel bolt that's a little deeper.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Just because around here is limiting you ,you should try a wider area, I use a couple fastener places primary at my work if they don't have it I do find it else where or they source it for me. Or you could just TIG weld it....... or two part epoxy putty high temp....or etc....