Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead
 
WheelmanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,803
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Pfadt coilovers and alignment

Hey yo,

So after installing my Pfadt adjustable coilovers, zl1 spec sway bars, and '12+ rear arm conversion, I headed to a tire shop for an alignment. After the install, there is quite a bit of negative camber in the front end.

When I got to the tire shop, i provided the pfadt street alignment specs. they lifted the car, took a look, and said, "nope, the camber can't be adjusted with this suspension"

"Uh, what?"

We were looking at the car from the front end, and they said the bolts in the spindle don't allow for adjustment. I said that is correct from this end, but the bolts on the other side do.

They shook their head and said no.

Wtf

I called up Pfadt and they were trying their best to help. They talked to the service manager, who is a friend of mine and I thought I could trust with the car. However, they didn't even give a second look. They rolled the car off the lift and handed me the keys, and after a sarcastic "thanks a lot guys" I headed out.

Am I completely wrong here? I thought I could get a street alignment without needing camber plates. It should be possible to do this on my current setup, right?

If so, what I need is some sort of visual to bring to a different alignment place to show them how to adjust the front camber. Does anyone have a DIY or can perhaps provide some pics on where the alignment can be adjusted on the front end spindle for a street setup?
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
573 RWHP 498 RWTQ
- Vortech V3 Supercharger
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Synner


 
Drives: not stock
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oversneeze
Posts: 4,516
You need a new shop, they take the special bus to work. Its very simple to adjust camber on these, no special anything required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=8
Synner is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead
 
WheelmanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,803
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You need a new shop, they take the special bus to work. Its very simple to adjust camber on these, no special anything required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=8
Ugh! I can't believe it is that easy

Thanks Synner.

So, even with my Pfadt coilovers on the stock spindles, they should be able to set camber to street spec settings, right?
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
573 RWHP 498 RWTQ
- Vortech V3 Supercharger
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,827
Wheelman,

Take your car to Firestone and pay for the Lifetime Alignment. You can then take it back as many times as you want to have it re-aligned. I was just there today and they had no issues and I get -2 degrees of camber in the front with my Pedders XA's.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
kobSS
 
kobSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 536
Yea... I have the Gen2 Coilovers and have had the alignment adjusted 3 times. All 3 times were Pfadt specs based on their alignment sheet.

Sucks you cant trust your shop to do it right...Might mean time for a new shop! Maybe since the guy is your buddy you can convince him it can be done.
__________________
2010 CGM 2SS/RS:
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
kobSS is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Synner


 
Drives: not stock
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oversneeze
Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Ugh! I can't believe it is that easy

Thanks Synner.

So, even with my Pfadt coilovers on the stock spindles, they should be able to set camber to street spec settings, right?
You can go from stock to a hair over -2 or -2.5 if I remember correctly. Very simple with someone who knows these cars at all.
Synner is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You need a new shop, they take the special bus to work. Its very simple to adjust camber on these, no special anything required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=8
This. Most wheel and tire places are lost if you bring them a car with aftermarket suspension.
Apex Motorsports is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
bannonm

 
bannonm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,506
Wheelman, I just replaced my coilovers with Pfadts and camber plates. I had to go with the plates to go beyond an aggressive street alignment with my wider front tires. But with anything up to a 9 in you have plenty of play to get a good amount of negative camber.

If you need a set of alignment bolts, I have 8 left. I bought a set of 10 for $20. Cover the cost and postage and I'll mail them to you. PM me if you're interested. This will make the job easier and more accurate for the guy setting the front.
__________________
bannonm is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Bruce@raymondsperformance
 
Bruce@raymondsperformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indy
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Hey yo,

So after installing my Pfadt adjustable coilovers, zl1 spec sway bars, and '12+ rear arm conversion, I headed to a tire shop for an alignment. After the install, there is quite a bit of negative camber in the front end.

When I got to the tire shop, i provided the pfadt street alignment specs. they lifted the car, took a look, and said, "nope, the camber can't be adjusted with this suspension"

"Uh, what?"

We were looking at the car from the front end, and they said the bolts in the spindle don't allow for adjustment. I said that is correct from this end, but the bolts on the other side do.

They shook their head and said no.

Wtf

I called up Pfadt and they were trying their best to help. They talked to the service manager, who is a friend of mine and I thought I could trust with the car. However, they didn't even give a second look. They rolled the car off the lift and handed me the keys, and after a sarcastic "thanks a lot guys" I headed out.

Am I completely wrong here? I thought I could get a street alignment without needing camber plates. It should be possible to do this on my current setup, right?

If so, what I need is some sort of visual to bring to a different alignment place to show them how to adjust the front camber. Does anyone have a DIY or can perhaps provide some pics on where the alignment can be adjusted on the front end spindle for a street setup?
Wow is all I can say,I have been in the supension business for 30 years and I hear these stories all of the time.These cars are about as basic as it comes when making the alignment changes.I would find another shop that takes a little pride in their profession,if thats not posible you can tell them to hit the K1 button (Illustrate adjustments) on their Hunter alignment machine and it will show them how to do it and even what size of wrench to use if they cannot figure that out.Just makes me scratch my head when I see this.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Wheelman, I just replaced my coilovers with Pfadts and camber plates. I had to go with the plates to go beyond an aggressive street alignment with my wider front tires. But with anything up to a 9 in you have plenty of play to get a good amount of negative camber.

If you need a set of alignment bolts, I have 8 left. I bought a set of 10 for $20. Cover the cost and postage and I'll mail them to you. PM me if you're interested. This will make the job easier and more accurate for the guy setting the front.
How do you like your new coils bro.
L99CAMA2011 is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
ActNup NY


 
ActNup NY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You need a new shop, they take the special bus to work. Its very simple to adjust camber on these, no special anything required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=8
Lol !!! Special bus (haven't heard that term in a long time) lol !
__________________
The DREAM is free... It's the HUSTLE that is sold seperately
ActNup NY is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,827
Theeeeeeee, wheels on the short bus go clunk, clunk, clunk....... thump, thump, thump.....

Any update Wheelman? Or are you out tearing up corners in the Chicagoland area? Watch out for the potholes if you are.

T.

Disclaimer- I joke here about the short bus but that in no way reflects on the folks who ride said bus who I respect a great deal.
The bus, however, I seriously challenge as my wife works for a National bus company and I hear many stories and if I had children I would never send them to school on a bus.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
SPCBA


 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a line somwhere
Posts: 4,206
no knock against tire shops but tire shops dont do alignments on my cars. Alignment shops do alignments on my cars. Tire shops do tires.


Crazy right?
__________________
SPCBA is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead
 
WheelmanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,803
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Theeeeeeee, wheels on the short bus go clunk, clunk, clunk....... thump, thump, thump.....

Any update Wheelman? Or are you out tearing up corners in the Chicagoland area? Watch out for the potholes if you are.

T.
Lol. No update yet. I have a winter car so the camaro is parked until I can find another shop to try. Keeping my car off the street until I can remove the -5 degree camber I'm currently rolling on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
no knock against tire shops but tire shops dont do alignments on my cars. Alignment shops do alignments on my cars. Tire shops do tires.


Crazy right?
It's a tire and alignment shop. Those things often go hand-in-hand. Crazy right???
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
573 RWHP 498 RWTQ
- Vortech V3 Supercharger
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.