Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Pfadt coilovers and alignment

Hey yo,

So after installing my Pfadt adjustable coilovers, zl1 spec sway bars, and '12+ rear arm conversion, I headed to a tire shop for an alignment. After the install, there is quite a bit of negative camber in the front end.

When I got to the tire shop, i provided the pfadt street alignment specs. they lifted the car, took a look, and said, "nope, the camber can't be adjusted with this suspension"

"Uh, what?"

We were looking at the car from the front end, and they said the bolts in the spindle don't allow for adjustment. I said that is correct from this end, but the bolts on the other side do.

They shook their head and said no.

Wtf

I called up Pfadt and they were trying their best to help. They talked to the service manager, who is a friend of mine and I thought I could trust with the car. However, they didn't even give a second look. They rolled the car off the lift and handed me the keys, and after a sarcastic "thanks a lot guys" I headed out.

Am I completely wrong here? I thought I could get a street alignment without needing camber plates. It should be possible to do this on my current setup, right?

If so, what I need is some sort of visual to bring to a different alignment place to show them how to adjust the front camber. Does anyone have a DIY or can perhaps provide some pics on where the alignment can be adjusted on the front end spindle for a street setup?
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: not stock
You need a new shop, they take the special bus to work. Its very simple to adjust camber on these, no special anything required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=8
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You need a new shop, they take the special bus to work. Its very simple to adjust camber on these, no special anything required.

Ugh! I can't believe it is that easy

Thanks Synner.

So, even with my Pfadt coilovers on the stock spindles, they should be able to set camber to street spec settings, right?

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Wheelman,

Take your car to Firestone and pay for the Lifetime Alignment. You can then take it back as many times as you want to have it re-aligned. I was just there today and they had no issues and I get -2 degrees of camber in the front with my Pedders XA's.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
kobSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yea... I have the Gen2 Coilovers and have had the alignment adjusted 3 times. All 3 times were Pfadt specs based on their alignment sheet.

Sucks you cant trust your shop to do it right...Might mean time for a new shop! Maybe since the guy is your buddy you can convince him it can be done.
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Synner

Drives: not stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Ugh! I can't believe it is that easy

Thanks Synner.

So, even with my Pfadt coilovers on the stock spindles, they should be able to set camber to street spec settings, right?
You can go from stock to a hair over -2 or -2.5 if I remember correctly. Very simple with someone who knows these cars at all.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

This. Most wheel and tire places are lost if you bring them a car with aftermarket suspension.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Wheelman, I just replaced my coilovers with Pfadts and camber plates. I had to go with the plates to go beyond an aggressive street alignment with my wider front tires. But with anything up to a 9 in you have plenty of play to get a good amount of negative camber.

If you need a set of alignment bolts, I have 8 left. I bought a set of 10 for $20. Cover the cost and postage and I'll mail them to you. PM me if you're interested. This will make the job easier and more accurate for the guy setting the front.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Hey yo,

So after installing my Pfadt adjustable coilovers, zl1 spec sway bars, and '12+ rear arm conversion, I headed to a tire shop for an alignment. After the install, there is quite a bit of negative camber in the front end.

When I got to the tire shop, i provided the pfadt street alignment specs. they lifted the car, took a look, and said, "nope, the camber can't be adjusted with this suspension"

"Uh, what?"

We were looking at the car from the front end, and they said the bolts in the spindle don't allow for adjustment. I said that is correct from this end, but the bolts on the other side do.

They shook their head and said no.

Wtf

I called up Pfadt and they were trying their best to help. They talked to the service manager, who is a friend of mine and I thought I could trust with the car. However, they didn't even give a second look. They rolled the car off the lift and handed me the keys, and after a sarcastic "thanks a lot guys" I headed out.

Am I completely wrong here? I thought I could get a street alignment without needing camber plates. It should be possible to do this on my current setup, right?

If so, what I need is some sort of visual to bring to a different alignment place to show them how to adjust the front camber. Does anyone have a DIY or can perhaps provide some pics on where the alignment can be adjusted on the front end spindle for a street setup?
Wow is all I can say,I have been in the supension business for 30 years and I hear these stories all of the time.These cars are about as basic as it comes when making the alignment changes.I would find another shop that takes a little pride in their profession,if thats not posible you can tell them to hit the K1 button (Illustrate adjustments) on their Hunter alignment machine and it will show them how to do it and even what size of wrench to use if they cannot figure that out.Just makes me scratch my head when I see this.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Wheelman, I just replaced my coilovers with Pfadts and camber plates. I had to go with the plates to go beyond an aggressive street alignment with my wider front tires. But with anything up to a 9 in you have plenty of play to get a good amount of negative camber.

If you need a set of alignment bolts, I have 8 left. I bought a set of 10 for $20. Cover the cost and postage and I'll mail them to you. PM me if you're interested. This will make the job easier and more accurate for the guy setting the front.
How do you like your new coils bro.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:

Lol !!! Special bus (haven't heard that term in a long time) lol !
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Theeeeeeee, wheels on the short bus go clunk, clunk, clunk....... thump, thump, thump.....

Any update Wheelman? Or are you out tearing up corners in the Chicagoland area? Watch out for the potholes if you are.

T.

Disclaimer- I joke here about the short bus but that in no way reflects on the folks who ride said bus who I respect a great deal.
The bus, however, I seriously challenge as my wife works for a National bus company and I hear many stories and if I had children I would never send them to school on a bus.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
no knock against tire shops but tire shops dont do alignments on my cars. Alignment shops do alignments on my cars. Tire shops do tires.

Crazy right?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Theeeeeeee, wheels on the short bus go clunk, clunk, clunk....... thump, thump, thump.....

Any update Wheelman? Or are you out tearing up corners in the Chicagoland area? Watch out for the potholes if you are.

T.
Lol. No update yet. I have a winter car so the camaro is parked until I can find another shop to try. Keeping my car off the street until I can remove the -5 degree camber I'm currently rolling on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
no knock against tire shops but tire shops dont do alignments on my cars. Alignment shops do alignments on my cars. Tire shops do tires.

Crazy right?
It's a tire and alignment shop. Those things often go hand-in-hand. Crazy right???

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold

Closed Thread