Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #57
TXhogghunter

Drives: GTO
I restore classic muscle cars and what I have noticed over the years is money is worth less, so for instance in 1970 a customer of mine bought a big block challenger he paid around $5K for it, kept it all these years and I restored it about 3 years ago, the car restored is worth $50k. In 1971 my parents bought a home for $19K that today is worth $320K (they no longer own that same house), so its the money that is worth less not the vehicle worth more...

Now there are exceptions to every rule, that was a basic car and a basic home, both used and kept up over the years.. You can say what if he bought a hemi convertible 71 cuda for $6k, wrapped it in plastic and then sold it in 2010, SURE the car would be worth $5.5m untouched with 3 miles on it....

But on the other hand what if back then you bought $100K worth of lake front property on lake winnipesaukee? That could have bought you half the waterfront back then, lol, and now if it was untouched and undeveloped would be worth an uncalculatable amount...

I can think of a few cars made after 1980 that did very well with values when kept in good condition, early 80s hurst olds, grand nationals, gnx's, turbo ta's, pace cars, 1991 zr1's, tt supras, rotary powered mazdas, then of course the countach, f355, actually and f car, lol, do very very well, but thats a small percentage of cars from a few decades, I have a 39 ford that was probably 375 new and its worth 55K now but would I say it was a good investment if I bought it in 39? nah... lol

2010 camaros IMO will suffer the same fate all mass produced cars do, with the exceptions of low mile, exceptional condition, restored, desirable low production special models or options, and desirable customs... But the everday drivers with 175 on them faded paint and sagging doors, will be on the market for $2500 some day... craigslist "iroc-z" you can find a 1990 for $550 with 130K and in need of a lot of love and yet the same car with same options color etc with $50K miles in garaged condition is selling for $18K, ITS ALL ABOUT desire and condition because on the other hand a 1990 caprice in great shape is worth nothing...
TXhogghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #58
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I was just happy to see the dang thing worth it's residual on a lease after three years. There was a time when some are virtually worthless after the lease end. But mine has very low miles. Maybe nothing has changed if you hit the max mileage?
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #59
Sozo

Drives: 2015 Comm. M6 2SS convertible
My thoughts having been into cars for longer than I care to admit .. back in high school you could find a NICE 67-69 Camaro for 2-4 k ..if it was convertible or SS and super clean it might bring 5-7 but that was considered insane...you could find the 70s Camaros/Z28 drivable and in need of a little love for +- 1k easy by the mid 80s
Now those cars are being dragged out of fields and restored and bringing big bucks ..I would say going by what I have seen in mid America a (reasonably desirable) car bottoms out around at 15-18 yrs of age, then around 20 begins to climb again, I think time /price will be kind to the 5th Gen more than others because it really harkens back to the 67-69 Camaros more so than any other ever has and these are some of the few cars that its hard to ever find many people that dislike the style , its timeless. , it will get cheap but it will rise again big production numbers will have an impact ..but bigger population and demand will off set that <--something many people overlook, SOoo many more people playing with cars now than back in the 70-80
Sozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #60
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
numbers will also ensure that restoration parts should be more available for the 5th gen camaro.a ton of early mustangs were made you can buy a new chrome bumper for< $100.try that with a GTO and its 3X the price or better.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #61
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Automobiles are not an investment they are an expense. Unless you are buying a classic collector car, don't expect much in return. The only way the 2010 Camaro could hold a signifigant resale value in 10 years would be for GM to stop production. I don't see that happening.
Give it another 10 yrs. it’ll all be electric. If they’re getting away from cumbstion engines? Which they will then 5th gens will hold value as the V8 will be extinct. And they’ll always have someone wanting a gasoline engine. Even if just for show.

So they may get down to $10k but idk see them dipping below unless it’s junk you’re buying. A low mileage 2010 SS in great shape won’t dip below 10k on a bad day...

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #62
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Give it another 10 yrs. it’ll all be electric. If they’re getting away from cumbstion engines? Which they will then 5th gens will hold value as the V8 will be extinct. And they’ll always have someone wanting a gasoline engine. Even if just for show.

So they may get down to $10k but idk see them dipping below unless it’s junk you’re buying. A low mileage 2010 SS in great shape won’t dip below 10k on a bad day...
I've seen a few salvage-title non V8's dip below $10k. They were driveable too and already fixed up. How well they were fixed up is another matter, but in the pics posted online they looked pretty nice.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #63
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
You guys do realize this thread is from 2010, right?

So back then we were speculating what our cars would be worth in eight years, and... poof!... here we are eight years in the future and they have held up somewhat better than we thought.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #64
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
All cars depreciate, so figure about a 60% depreciation or more by year 8. Now, if you keep your car is mint condition (appearance, miles) then you can ask a small premium above the book value price.

What could be a good bet, given if the configuration of Camaro may change in the next decade (meaning if the v8 will still be in production, power levels, etc.) is that your Camaro could eventually appreciate in value. Do not look for appreciation inside of 10 years. Twenty five years or more its possible for a small appreciation.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #65
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
All cars depreciate, so figure about a 60% depreciation or more by year 8. Now, if you keep your car is mint condition (appearance, miles) then you can ask a small premium above the book value price.

What could be a good bet, given if the configuration of Camaro may change in the next decade (meaning if the v8 will still be in production, power levels, etc.) is that your Camaro could eventually appreciate in value. Do not look for appreciation inside of 10 years. Twenty five years or more its possible for a small appreciation.
It's always nice to find someone that's willing to sacrifice the experience of driving the heck out of a good car for many years, just for a few bucks more than the average. These cars are time capsule deals. Apparently, the experience of owning is more rewarding that driving their dream car. Me? I know I'll never have today to do over.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #66
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I've seen a few salvage-title non V8's dip below $10k. They were driveable too and already fixed up. How well they were fixed up is another matter, but in the pics posted online they looked pretty nice.
Understand salvage titles equate to about 50-60% off value. Now they may have asked for more and gotten it. However anyone in their right mind wouldn’t give what they ask for it near blue book value

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #67
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
It's always nice to find someone that's willing to sacrifice the experience of driving the heck out of a good car for many years, just for a few bucks more than the average. These cars are time capsule deals. Apparently, the experience of owning is more rewarding that driving their dream car. Me? I know I'll never have today to do over.
My op is this: My prime car(s) have to look the part: That means they have to drive good, act good, and especially look good. Looking good to me means No dents, No scratches, No idiot marks anywhere on my prime vehicles...hell on any vehicle of mine. That's why I take the measures of garaging, supervising, and detailing my cars. I can drive any car...not much effort in that. But my prime cars, the ones that I had to sacrifice, work hard and save to own, will be the ones that I keep. If I keep and maintain a good vehicle, then that vehicle has to be good through and through.

The real benefit to me is that its my time capsule car. When people ask whether the paint is recent or if I'm the original owner, sometimes I get the surprised look when I tell them that the car is all original and I'm the original owner. That's the added bonus that's icing on the cake for owning and safeguarding my good cars.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #68
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Daily drivers won't be worth much unless it was some rare model that has been fully restored. I really could care less about the "potential" value of my Camaro down the road. Why? Well, first off, I plan on keeping it for a long time. Maybe even giving it to one of my sons someday. I enjoy my car, but I don't drive it in the winter, and it's not a daily driver. I keep it mint for me, not for resale value. I get off on having people comment whenever I take it out, "Man, that's one badass Camaro," or "Wow, what a beautiful car!" I enjoy shining it up and keeping it looking like the day it was made. My mods are few but have added visual appeal. I'm enjoying it and that's the only value that anyone should seek. If the day comes and I sell it, and it brings in a few bucks because of condition, that's icing on the cake.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote