Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Black LS3

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS LS3
Lightbulb Lets Talk About Extended Warranties for our 2010 Camaro's from the Dealership a Sec..

Hi everyone.

I have a couple questions about Extended Warranties from the Dealership on our 2010 Camaro.

Normally I dont buy extended Warranties on my vehicles but this is the 1st time that I've owned a Brand New Car over $24.000, I wasnt going to get one on my Camaro when I bought mine but the Finance Manager at the dealership kind of talked me in to buying one for my 2010 2SS Camaro along with the Wheel and Tire Warranty.

MY last vehicle a 2005 Dodge Dakota that I bought brand new had an Airbag sensor go out on it for the Passenger Seat about 6 months before I traded it in on my Camaro, I never had it fixed because I knew i was buying the new car but from talking to my friends and online to people who have had the same thing happen to them thats Not a Cheap Repair, I dont know the exact cost of it but from what others have said it's expensive and sense the 2010 Camaro has So Many Different Electronics inside of it, Power Seats, Windows, Mirrors, Heated Seats, Mirrors ETC,.. You get the Idea I agreed with the Finance Manager and Bought the 5 Year 60,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty and the Warranty that covers the Wheels and Tires if I'm driving down the road and Damage one or more of my Tires and Wheels, I think that Warranty for the Wheels and Tires was like $400-$450 and the Bumper to Bumper Warranty was approx $1800.00.

The Bumper to Bumper Warranty was something that could be bought later but I was told that it was going to cost me more later to buy it than it would if I bought it at the time of the vehicle.

The Warranty is the same one that Toyota uses which is good anywhere in the United States and Not just at that Dealership so if I'm out of town and something happens "I Should" be covered where ever I might be at that time and it comes with Road Side Assistance and all that type of stuff.

Who else here bought the Extended Warranty and What are your thoughts on it?
Magnaflow 2.50" Tru-X X-Pipe.
AirAid Cold Air Intake System.

11.21.09 1100 Order Accepted At Dealer - 11.24.09 2000 Accepted At GM - 11.25.09 2500 Preferenced - 12.03.09 3000 Production Control Notes: 01/11/2010 - 12.17.09 3400 Order Broadcast - 01.13.10 3800 Order Produced VIN # 2G1FT1E - 01.25.10 4000 Available to Ship from Rail Yard by Truck - 01.27.10 5000 Delivered to the Dealership - 01-27-10 6000 Delivered to Customer.
Black LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I bought mine from a dealer linked off this site, I saved $500.00, did the deal over the phone a few days after buying my Camaro. You can buy your warranty from any Chevy dealer you want, shop around. Fletcher Chevy is the one I bought from, really nice guy. The only down side, I had to buy it, I could not finance it in my loan, no biggy.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Oh man....see if you can cash in the warranty. When I bought the extended warranty on my Cobra several years back I was able to get a pro-rated return for the time I didn't use.

Mine is almost here and I started working on financing today. I was offered 5/50k warranty for $895 or $995 with the tire warranty.

If I remember correctly you can buy the warranty from any GM dealer. I remember a thread a long time back where a dealer was offering something like $745 for a 6/60k. I'm going to see if I can find that thread and get the contact person.

I hearing that GM will make you offers after the fact if you turn down the extended warranty when you buy the car. Probably a little more expensive but I think they will finance it as well.

I think I'm going to wait and not buy the warranty at the moment but that's just me.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Warranty = no cool mods

I'll just use my normal warranty and then

I've been very fotunate. I've never needed to use my warranty after the factory warranty ran out. *knocks on wood*
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
I can't remember if I read this here or not... But it was something along the lines of if you buy your extended warranty the 1 day before it would be 1 year since buying the car (for instance I bought mine 12-17, so I would do this on 12-16) it goes for a year longer or there's something 'special' when you do that? I don't remember too much about it
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Extended warranties are a bunch of crap. You have a factory 100k mile warranty bumper to bumper. The sales people get a bonus when they sale an extended warranty. They are sales people... they get paid to sale. No matter what the sale person quotes from the brochure... your still paying for something youll most likely never use.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Black LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnaz View Post
I bought mine from a dealer linked off this site, I saved $500.00, did the deal over the phone a few days after buying my Camaro. You can buy your warranty from any Chevy dealer you want, shop around. Fletcher Chevy is the one I bought from, really nice guy. The only down side, I had to buy it, I could not finance it in my loan, no biggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Oh man....see if you can cash in the warranty. When I bought the extended warranty on my Cobra several years back I was able to get a pro-rated return for the time I didn't use.

Mine is almost here and I started working on financing today. I was offered 5/50k warranty for $895 or $995 with the tire warranty.

If I remember correctly you can buy the warranty from any GM dealer. I remember a thread a long time back where a dealer was offering something like $745 for a 6/60k. I'm going to see if I can find that thread and get the contact person.

I hearing that GM will make you offers after the fact if you turn down the extended warranty when you buy the car. Probably a little more expensive but I think they will finance it as well.

I think I'm going to wait and not buy the warranty at the moment but that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Warranty = no cool mods

I'll just use my normal warranty and then

I've been very fotunate. I've never needed to use my warranty after the factory warranty ran out. *knocks on wood*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I can't remember if I read this here or not... But it was something along the lines of if you buy your extended warranty the 1 day before it would be 1 year since buying the car (for instance I bought mine 12-17, so I would do this on 12-16) it goes for a year longer or there's something 'special' when you do that? I don't remember too much about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
Extended warranties are a bunch of crap. You have a factory 100k mile warranty bumper to bumper. The sales people get a bonus when they sale an extended warranty. They are sales people... they get paid to sale. No matter what the sale person quotes from the brochure... your still paying for something youll most likely never use.
Hey Everyone,...

Thanks for stopping by.
I asked about any Mods that I might be installing like Headers or CAI and he said that it Would Not Void the Warranty if I installed those options.

Wow you guys found some pretty good prices on the Extended Warranty. I know they make good money when they sell one to someone, The exact figure I have no idea about though.

As far as when to buy it,...

Hey BlaSSt Off,... I thought that it was Only a 3 Year 30,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty that came with the Camaro, Now you have me wondering, I'm going to check that out after I write this.

At the time when I bought it I was thinking to myself to buy it later so that I didnt have 2 Bumper to Bumper Warranties going at the same time and the later I bought it,... The Longer I would have it for kind of thing.

I did buy an extended Warranty one time on a `91 Camaro that I bought when I got back from Iraq while I was still in the Army and the Car got stolen and destroyed and it was one of those that were only good at that dealership where I bought it from and at that time I was able to Cash it in for the Remainder of the Balance of it.

If i could have really bought a GM Bumper to Bumper Warranty for 6 years 60k Miles for $800 I'm going to be Pissed Off.

Do you remember where that thread is by chance?

11.21.09 1100 Order Accepted At Dealer - 11.24.09 2000 Accepted At GM - 11.25.09 2500 Preferenced - 12.03.09 3000 Production Control Notes: 01/11/2010 - 12.17.09 3400 Order Broadcast - 01.13.10 3800 Order Produced VIN # 2G1FT1E - 01.25.10 4000 Available to Ship from Rail Yard by Truck - 01.27.10 5000 Delivered to the Dealership - 01-27-10 6000 Delivered to Customer.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
Black LS3

Okay,... On the Chevrolet Website The Camaro comes with a 5yr/100,000 Miles Powertrain Warranty and a 3yr/36,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Quote:
The Best Coverage in America Chevy 100,000 mile/5-year transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible*
Chevy 100,000 mile/5-year 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program*

Chevy 100,000 mile/5-year 24/7 Courtesy Transportation Program* Covered for 5 years/100,000 Miles* Chevrolet will warrant each 2007 through 2010 model year Chevrolet passenger car, light-duty truck, crossover or van for 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers (whichever comes first; see dealer for details) with no deductible, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs that are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the powertrain components as listed below:

Engine Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Engine: 2010 Chevrolet vehicles All internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, lines and radiators. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e., Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.), cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals and gaskets.

Transmission/Transaxle: 2010 Chevrolet vehicles All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (slave cylinder, etc.).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors. Also excluded are clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Transfer Case: 2010 Chevrolet vehicles All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case as well as encoder motor.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors as well as the transfer case control module and/or module programming.

Drive Systems All internally lubricated parts, final-drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e., front differential actuator, etc).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.

Courtesy Transportation Program During the warranty coverage period, this Chevrolet program provides alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owner's Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

Roadside Assistance Program Chevrolet is proud to offer the response, security and convenience of the 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first. The program provides you with the following services during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period:
  • Emergency Towing (to closest Chevy dealer from a legal roadway)
  • Lockout Service (keys locked inside vehicle)
  • Flat Tire Changes (spare installed)
  • Fuel Delivery ($5 worth of fuel delivered on the road)
  • Jump-Starts (at home or on the road)
Refer to your Owner's Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer. For specific terms and conditions, please contact your Chevrolet Roadside Assistance Program advisor at 1-800-243-8872.

What Is Not Covered All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

For 2007 through 2009 model year passenger car, light-duty truck, crossover and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan) is available through your dealer/retailer). This is the only plan recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details.

Covered for 3 years/36,000 miles* Chevrolet backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct problems in materials or workmanship, for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first (except normal maintenance). The warranty covers towing to the nearest Chevrolet dealership, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period.

Covered for 6 years/100,000 miles
Corrosion Protection Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.
Warranty FAQ's

Quote:
What is the Chevrolet 100,000 Mile/5-Year Powertrain Limited Warranty? All 2007 through 2009 passenger cars, SUVs, light-duty trucks, crossovers and vans are covered. The Powertrain Limited Warranty is 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first). It is fully transferable and there are no fees and no deductibles. The Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation Programs are also for 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first). For more details, please visit your Chevrolet dealer or click here.

How is the bumper-to-bumper warranty affected by this 100,000 mile/5-year warranty? The Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty on new Chevrolet passenger cars, SUVs, light-duty trucks, crossovers and vans remains in effect for three years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first; see dealer for details). For more details, please visit your Chevrolet dealer or click here.

Why has GM elected to make this change? This move is intended to provide you with an unprecedented level of value, confidence and protection. As a result, GM is elevating your total vehicle ownership experience with the best, most comprehensive consumer confidence package in the industry.

Can I purchase this extra powertrain coverage for my 2006 (and prior) vehicle? You may be eligible to choose from one of our GM Protection Plan (GMPP) offerings that can be tailored to meet your needs — including extended powertrain coverage. Please contact your selling dealership/retailer for details on the various GMPP programs.

What about Courtesy Transportation? The Courtesy Transportation Program is also included for 5 years/100,000 miles(1) (whichever comes first; see dealer for details) on all 2007 through 2009 Chevrolet passenger cars, SUVs light-duty trucks, crossovers and vans. Whenever warranty repairs are required, several transportation options and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses are available for your convenience at participating dealers/retailers.

What does the bumper-to-bumper warranty cover? The Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers vehicles registered in the U.S. and Canada from the date the vehicle is first delivered until it reaches three years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first; see dealer for details). It covers the vehicle from bumper to bumper on any vehicle defect related to materials or workmanship. For more details, please reference your Owner's Manual under "What Is Covered" and "What Is Not Covered."

Is my vehicle covered from rust too? Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first; see dealer for details). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is neither necessary nor required under the Sheet Metal Coverage. Chevrolet makes no recommendations concerning the usefulness or value of such products. Application of after-manufacture rustproofing products may create an environment that reduces the corrosion resistance built into your vehicle. Repairs to correct damage caused by such applications are not covered under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

Do I have to go to the Chevrolet dealer where I purchased my vehicle to have this type of work performed? While most customers prefer to have this type of work performed at their selling dealer, it can be performed at any Chevrolet dealership.

Can I take my Chevrolet to any GM dealership for warranty repairs? These repairs must be performed by an authorized Chevrolet dealer, except in an emergency situation when a covered part or a Chevrolet dealer is not reasonably available to the vehicle owner. It's in your best interest to take your Chevrolet vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer for all repairs since they are the most knowledgeable about the particulars of your vehicle.

Does GM offer or endorse any service contracts for new or used vehicles? Yes, the GM Protection Plan (GMPP) vehicle service and maintenance contracts are the only products endorsed by General Motors and are available through most GM dealers. To learn more about the different plans available, please visit www.gmprotectionplan.com.

I would like Chevrolet to grant me permission to use an image from the site and let me link from my site to Chevrolet. What should I do? Unfortunately, Chevrolet cannot allow images from the Chevrolet site to be posted on other sites. Feel free to link your site to the Chevrolet site.

Why are Goodwrench-trained technicians so important? From changing oil to changing engines, these automotive experts use only Genuine GM Parts & Accessories that are designed specifically for your GM vehicle. They're also tested for performance and reliability. So no matter what kind of GM vehicle you own, trust it to the Goodwrench-trained technicians at your GM dealer. You'll spend less time in the shop and more time on the road. For more details, please visit the Goodwrench website.

Who do I contact if I have a concern with my vehicle? Your satisfaction and goodwill are important to your dealer and to Chevrolet. Normally, any concerns with the sales transaction or the operation of your vehicle will be resolved by your dealer's sales or service departments. The first step is to discuss your concern with a member of dealership management. Normally, concerns can be quickly resolved at that level. To locate a Chevrolet dealer, please visit the Chevrolet Dealer Locator.

How do I obtain an Owner's Manual? There are two ways to obtain a copy:
1. You can register your vehicle by visiting the Chevrolet Owner Center at MyGMlink to download a complimentary electronic copy (for most vehicles from 1995 to present).

2. You can order a paper copy (for a fee), from Helm Publications, Inc. at 1-800-551-4123. Manuals are available from the late 1960s to 1994 for most GM vehicles.

What is MyGMlink? MyGMlink.com is a FREE service offered to GM customers where they can access and receive:
  • Digital Owner's Manuals, Warranty Manuals, and more
  • Recall notices for their specific vehicles
  • Email service reminders
  • Online service and maintenance records (as entered by the customer)
  • Exclusive privileges and offers
  • Handheld companion (PDA) application
  • An interactive vehicle design and racing game
  • OnStar and GM Card Earnings summaries
For more details, please visit MyGMlink.

How do I know if my vehicle has been included in a recall? Should a recall on your vehicle ever occur, Chevrolet will notify you by mail. You can also contact any Chevrolet dealer or visit the Chevrolet Owner Center at MyGMlink or call 1-800-222-1020.

What type of oil should I use in my Chevrolet vehicle? Consult your Owner's Manual, "Oil, Engine" section. If you do not have a manual and you currently own a Chevrolet, please visit the Chevrolet Owner Center at MyGMlink to download a complimentary electronic copy (for most vehicles from 1995 to present).

What is Roadside Assistance? Chevrolet has a Roadside Assistance program to aid owners during an emergency and with other services. It is a service that comes with each new Chevrolet passenger car, SUV, light-duty truck, crossover and van. Services provided include:
  • 24-hour, 7-days-a-week toll-free 800 phone assistance
  • Towing to the closest Chevrolet dealer (from a legal roadway)
  • Flat tire change (using vehicle's spare)
  • Battery jump-start
  • Vehicle unlock service (costs for a new key and the labor to create not covered)
  • Emergency fuel delivery (up to $5.00 worth)
There is also a service available on medium-duty trucks that provides towing service only.

How do I contact Roadside Assistance? If your Chevrolet vehicle is equipped with an active OnStar subscription, simply press the blue button for roadside service. Otherwise, please call 1-800-243-8872 to initiate roadside assistance for your vehicle.

How long is my vehicle covered by Roadside Assistance? The Roadside Assistance Program is included for 100,000 miles/5 years (whichever comes first) on all 2007 through 2009 Chevrolet passenger cars, SUVs, light-duty trucks, crossovers and vans. For model years prior to 2007, your vehicle is provided Roadside Assistance for the term that matches its bumper-to-bumper warranty. Please refer to the Owner's Manual for the specific warranty on your vehicle.

Are there any costs to me for using the Roadside Assistance Program? There is generally no charge for any of the services listed while the vehicle is covered by the complimentary Roadside Assistance Program service. However, additional charges may be incurred for some services, including towing the vehicle beyond the closest Chevrolet dealer; for non-warranty parts and labor; or for lost key replacements. For details and additional information, please refer to Section 7 of your Owner's Manual.

What is E85 Ethanol? E85 Ethanol, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, is a renewable fuel that can be made from biodegradable wastes and several plants, such as switch grass, willow and corn.

E85 Ethanol Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFV) are designed to run on E85 or gasoline or any blend of the two. For more details, including vehicles with E85 option, as well as the locations of E85 fuel stations, please visit chevy.com/biofuels.

What makes an air bag inflate? In a frontal or near-frontal impact of sufficient severity, the air bag sensing system detects that the vehicle is suddenly stopping as a result of a crash. The sensing system triggers a release of inflation gas. This gas inflates the air bag. The inflator, air bag and related hardware are all part of the air bag module packed inside the steering wheel for the driver air bag and in the instrument panel for the right-front passenger air bag.

When should an air bag inflate? The air bag is designed to inflate in moderate to severe frontal or near-frontal crashes. The air bag will inflate only if the impact speed is above the system's designed "threshold level." If your vehicle goes straight into a wall that doesn't move or deform, the threshold level is about 14 to 18 mph (23 to 29 km/h). The threshold level can vary, however, with specific vehicle design, so it may be somewhat above or below this range. If your vehicle strikes something that will move or deform, such as a parked car, the threshold level will be higher. Inflation is determined by the angle of the impact and the vehicle's deceleration.

What is a Passenger Sensing System? Chevy's Passenger Sensing System detects what kind of occupant may be present in the right-front passenger seat using sensors in the seat and the safety belt system. Unlike air bag on/off switches that are manually activated, the Passenger Sensing System is automatic; and a light on the rearview mirror or instrument panel indicates the system status at all times.

Will a side impact, rear impact or rollover cause the air bag to deploy? If the vehicle is equipped with seat-mounted side-impact or roof rail-mounted head-curtain air bags, those will deploy in a side impact. If the vehicle is equipped with rollover-capable head-curtain air bags, a rollover sensor will deploy the head-curtain air bags in a rollover incident

The frontal air bags will not deploy in a side impact or rollover unless there is also a front or front-corner impact of sufficient severity to trigger the frontal air bags. The air bags will not deploy in a rear impact.

Is it still necessary to wear a safety belt with the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint system? Yes! An air bag supplements the protection provided by the shoulder belts. Remember, the air bag is designed to inflate in moderate-to-severe frontal and near-frontal crashes. Safety belts can provide protection in impacts other than frontal and near-frontal collisions.

What kind of child-safety seats should I use in my Chevrolet vehicle? There are no specific child restraints that Chevrolet recommends or endorses, but we do have some information that might be helpful to you:
  • Chevrolet seats and safety belt systems are designed to accommodate child restraints. However, we cannot be certain that all child restraints will be compatible with Chevrolet vehicles. Our vehicles conform to the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) J1819 standard, which is a recommended guideline for automotive safety belt and child restraint compatibility. Therefore, child restraints that conform to this standard will be more compatible with the seats and safety belt systems used in Chevrolet vehicles. In addition, your Chevrolet dealer can install a tether anchor kit (at no charge to you) that will anchor front-facing child seats.
  • First, we recommend you work with a child safety seat manufacturer or a local retail outlet that sells child restraint seats for possible suggestions on what type of seat would be most appropriate for your needs. You can also take your child restraint seat to a checkup event or contact a local CPS technician for additional assistance. The following websites offer important information on this subject:
  • NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration): www.nhtsa.dot.gov
  • National Safe Kids: www.safekids.org
  • Safety Beltsafe USA: www.carseat.org
  • American Academy of Pediatrics: www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm In addition, consider contacting your local hospital, police and fire departments.
Where can I find information about air bags/supplemental inflatable restraints on Chevrolet vehicles? To learn about the specific items on your vehicle, please refer to Section 1 of your Chevrolet Owner's Manual, "Seats and Restraint Systems." For general information, please visit the safety section on the GM website.

What is Electronic Stability Control (i.e., StabiliTrak) and how does it work? Stability enhancement systems help drivers maintain control of vehicles during certain low- traction driving conditions such as ice, snow, gravel, wet pavement and uneven road surfaces, as well as in emergency lane changes or avoidance maneuvers. For more information and to see how the system works, please visit the StabiliTrak section on the GM website.

What is the difference between all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive? A vehicle equipped with all-wheel drive temporarily transfers power to all four driving wheels automatically when the need is sensed by the vehicle. A vehicle equipped with four-wheel drive (4x4) can transfer power from two wheels to all four wheels upon driver demand, usually by pushing a button or turning a switch.

What is the difference between Curb Weight and Gross Vehicle Weight? Curb Weight is the weight of an empty vehicle (without payload or driver) with standard equipment, fuel, coolant and oil. It is also known as the vehicle weight. Gross Vehicle Weight is the actual weight of the entire vehicle and its contents, including fuel and occupants.

What is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)? GVWR, when properly equipped, includes weight of vehicle, passengers, cargo and equipment. Exceeding this weight is not recommended.

What is Payload? Payload is the maximum allowable weight of cargo to be carried in a vehicle, including all occupants and optional equipment. A payload is computed by subtracting curb weight from GVWR.

How can I obtain a conversion package on my Chevrolet vehicle? Your local Chevrolet dealer should be able to assist you in finding the best conversion company to fit your needs, as well as handle the details of having the conversion done to your vehicle. For more information on upfits, click here. To locate a Chevy dealer in your area, go to the Chevrolet Dealer Locator.

How can I learn more about the optional DURAMAX Diesel engine and its availability on Chevrolet trucks and SUVs? The optional DURAMAX Diesel V8 engine has been designed to satisfy the customer's need for heavy-duty power, durability and fuel efficiency. It's the most powerful diesel ever produced for GM heavy-duty pickups and chassis cabs. This engine is currently available in 2500HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado trucks. To learn more about the DURAMAX Diesel engine and its future availability on other Chevrolet vehicles, please go to the Chevrolet Dealer Locator.

What is OnStar?

As part of the best coverage in America, OnStar is now offered in nearly every GM vehicle sold in the U.S. and Canada. OnStar is the in-vehicle safety and security system created to help protect you and your family on the road. OnStar's innovative three-button system offers:
  • 24-hour access to expertly trained, caring Advisors
  • A connection to emergency assistance
  • Access to OnStar Hands-Free Calling in covered areas (prepaid calling charges apply)
Call 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827) or visit onstar.com for details and system limitations.

What is OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics? OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics is an exclusive service that runs diagnostic checks on a vehicle's key operating systems and sends the customer monthly reports by email. And if a diagnostic check is needed in between emails, simply push the OnStar button and an Advisor can run a check while the vehicle is in motion. It's available only from OnStar and GM. And it's just one more way OnStar helps give you peace of mind on the road. Visit onstar.com for more information.

How do you turn off the vehicle's Daytime Running Lamps while parked? Simply engage the parking brake.

Where can I purchase Chevrolet merchandise? To order officially licensed merchandise (as well as brochures), please visit chevymall.com or call 1-800-558-2550 (12:00 p.m. — 6:30 p.m. ET).

Can I buy auto parts online? Currently, Chevrolet parts can only be purchased through your local Chevrolet dealer. However, some Chevrolet retail websites allow purchase of parts from their facilities via their websites — please review your local Chevrolet Dealer's websites for this information.

Is Chevrolet currently offering any incentives or Special Offers? Incentive offers vary throughout the year. To learn about Chevrolet national or regional incentives, visit the Chevrolet Special Offers page or, to inquire about any potential local offers, visit the Chevrolet Dealer Locator. If you prefer to contact us by phone, we can be reached at 1-800-950-2438 (8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. EST) seven days a week.

What are the different option packages and prices? Because available options and their prices vary from model to model, it's best to ask your dealer for the specifics. Your dealer will be glad to explain the options available for the model you're interested in. To locate a Chevrolet dealer, please visit the Chevrolet Dealer Locator.

When can I place an order for next year's model? For specific information about any models you're interested in, ask your local Chevrolet dealer, who will be glad to provide you with a schedule. To locate a Chevrolet dealer, visit the Chevrolet Dealer Locator.

How can I obtain additional information on a new Chevy vehicle before it's produced? Most new Chevrolet launch vehicles have a link on their product page that allows consumers to sign up and receive email updates as additional information becomes available.

How are trade-in values determined? A trade-in value is determined by the dealer and can vary based on many factors, including mileage, the overall condition of a vehicle, the popularity of the vehicle and current regional market conditions. See your dealer for details.

Can I purchase a Chevrolet directly from the factory? No. However, you may order a vehicle from the factory through an authorized Chevrolet dealer. To locate a dealer in your area, please visit the Chevrolet Dealer Locator.

What types of vehicle financing are available through GMAC? Whether you want to lease or buy, your GM dealership and GMAC have some smart ways to fit a new GM vehicle into your life and your budget. To view the range of GMAC financing choices your dealership offers to qualified customers, visit GMAC.

Can I apply online to get pre-approved for financing through GMAC before I go to a dealership? Yes. Just fill out and submit our online GMAC Express Application. Once GMAC receives your information, they'll process it quickly and email you a printable certificate to take to the GM dealership of your choice to complete the application process.

What is the GM Mobility Program? General Motors is committed to helping persons with disabilities equip their vehicles for easier travel. To learn about the GM Mobility program, please visit gmmobility.com or contact the GM Mobility Assistance Center at 1-800-323-9935.

I would like to request a monetary or vehicle donation from General Motors or one of its divisions. What do I do? General Motors and the GM Foundation support a variety of activities in the communities where we do business. For guidelines that apply to proposals to either GM or the GM Foundation for grants, event participation, or vehicle donation requests, click here.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
my friend bought one for his gto and it has proved to be a losing venture. I would only buy one with the mind set that I was going to keep the car stock and run it HARD.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
I bought an extended warranty because by doing so they lowered my intrest rate. After having the load finalized and the rate locked in, I simply called up the dealership and cancelled the warranty as they are a joke, and got the cost of the warranty applied to my loan....what a great way to save .5% intrest.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Three things.
1. Extended warranties are for suckers. It is a gimmic to make extra money. The finance guy usually tries to sell you a lot of add ons to jack up the price.
2. The price is not hard and fast. If you really want one the price is negotiable.
3. If somewhere you start reading about inherent expensive problems affecting the Camaro line THEN buy the warranty. You can add it any time while the original warranty is still in effect.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Tex
Texas Military Forces

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Red Hot Auto
Does anyone know off hand if there is a cancellation period to get a prorated refunds. I bought my car back in Aug 09 and just wondering if I could still cancel.
3/06/2017 status: 3400 TPW 3/6/2017
3/10/2017 built 4200 VIN# 1G1FK1R65H0193462
3/18/2017 Delivered to me!

2016 Camaro 2SS (wife's car)
M228 Black Wheels

2010 Camaro SS (totalled by son)
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
Tal

Drives: Old
Extended warranties are money makers, that's why companies sell them. That means the odds are you won't get your moneys worth out of a warranty purchase. BUT there are advantages to fixed costs and it's not necessarily a bad idea to extend bumper to bumper coverage equal to the length of your loan, paying to repair a car that you are making payments on can be hard on the budget. This is a purchase that one should be particularly careful with though as it's very easy to get ripped off. Make sure it's backed by a reputable company and not a fly by night that will bankrupt their way out of the warranty. Make sure it has widespread support, preferably with nationwide towing to the nearest warranty repair location. And of course make sure you shop around ahead of time, warranties are commonly sold at ridiculous markups.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Wow... Are you saying it cost $1800 to cover non-powertrain items for an extra 2 years/24000 miles?

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote