Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
jmlozano7
NUPOC Candidate

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Do not use the 82.7" serpentine belt that they tell you. It is too loose. I spent over 3 hours installing the thing just because I had to go back and forth to O'Riley's to get the right size. I ended up buying the next length below to get the correct tension. Don't have the part number at hand but it was a Gates belt close to 81.8"
jmlozano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
I worked for several hours to incorrectly remove the pulley to discover that there are indentions on the back side of the hub. Once I used these indentions and a push rod that was long enough, the stock pulley came right off. There is a "seal" that is on the lip of the stock pulley but does not fit on the TSP replacement pulley that I installed, nor is it required.
Attached Images

gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Wouldn't changing the pulley void the car's warranty?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Wouldn't changing the pulley void the car's warranty?
The "car" no but they might make a case for not supporting any of the accessories driven by that belt.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
I worked for several hours to incorrectly remove the pulley to discover that there are indentions on the back side of the hub. Once I used these indentions and a push rod that was long enough, the stock pulley came right off. There is a "seal" that is on the lip of the stock pulley but does not fit on the TSP replacement pulley that I installed, nor is it required.
COOL....glad to see you finally got it off
Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Yup, and they could of come with headers, a bigger cam, a better gear size, a better tune, a better air intake, but they didnt. Its a lousy $200 for a better balancer and you pick up a few hp.
Yeah. But, why do any of that when you can sell an overpriced product (in Canada anyway, Americans are getting great deal on these rides), make all kind of profits, make the new owner spend thousands on aftermarket mods so the vehicle performs the way it should, and now (GM) can dis-honour the warranty. Works great in their favour. Right?

Not sure about the US but I paid $53k for a Camaro SS / RS (stripes, IOM, GFX), plus $10k in engine / suspension upgrades (CAM, rods, dual springs, ceramic covered headers, complete new exhaust, rockers, cai, springs, end-links, swaybar, chassis & strut braces, labour, etc......). And, I got a fabulous deal on the car, parts and labour.

Would have been fabulous if GM engineers would have realized they could have given us 200+ additional HP's by putting on some good parts.
Hey, even throw in a Maggie SC (instead of the crappy one they'll provide with the Z28), boosta a'boost, fuel pumps, meth kit, and maybe some higher flowing headers, and stroked the engine all for another 175 - 250 more hps's.

Problem, is people will pay $80 - 100+k, for a BMW or Mercedes and have much less vehicle, but will complain if they had to pay $60-70k for a superior GM product with all the fixings.

I'm with you; People like to make dumb comments about how GM used the best parts and so on when in reality GM put the parts that would work at minimum spec. so they could make a substantial profit on these vehicles and still provide better value than most other vehicles in the same or higher price range, and people will realize that value and pay the price their asking. Really, in the case of the Camaro it's a win-win for everyone.

Currenlty, I have 470rwhp., add on a new pulley +10, new heads +20 - 40, new SC 150 - 200, new gears faster accelleration, et al. It all adds up, and if done properly with a good tuner, works just fine. So, for about $70; I'll have about 600rwhp., and no BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, or any other EuroTrash overpriced tin can could even think about overperforming my car on the street or track; Um, okay, unless of course it costs $300k or more. Suckers. LOL

People won't pay $200 + labour for a new pulley, but they'll pay $120k for a Nissan GTR, and break the entire drive-train when taking off in launch mode.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #21
jhyland87

Drives: 2011 2ss rs, black
I was told installing a smaller underdrive pulley is a terrible idea, due to the fact it effects your power steering, AC, alternator, etc etc. They all get less attention due to the fact the underdrive pulley provides less in a single rotation

T/F?
jhyland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
chriscamaro69z28
army life

Drives: 2018 hyper blue zl1
seriously if the pulley was a problem then why does the zl models from SLP come with them and GM offers a full factory warranty on them. My buddy has the ZL427 with SLP mods which includes the underdrive pulley and is fully warantied by GM as he bought new from the chevy dealer so i cant see the pulley being a problem im installing one on my car this weekend and i ran 1 on my 01 ss camaro with no problems
chriscamaro69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
LSxtech
The name says it all

Drives: 1967 Camaro
Nice writeup.
LSxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
chris1973

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlozano7 View Post
Do not use the 82.7" serpentine belt that they tell you. It is too loose. I spent over 3 hours installing the thing just because I had to go back and forth to O'Riley's to get the right size. I ended up buying the next length below to get the correct tension. Don't have the part number at hand but it was a Gates belt close to 81.8"
I want to do this mod. Does anyone have any comments to add about the belt size?

Appearance Mods: Razzi Bodykit with LEDs, 3D Carbon Side Vents, Tint, Painted Rims and Calipers,

See/hear my Camaro at
http://youtu.be/wn0Ck-cw6WQ
chris1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1973 View Post
I want to do this mod. Does anyone have any comments to add about the belt size?

I've had the pulley here for a bit and am gettin ready to throw it on now that i have some time.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #26
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Yeah. But, why do any of that when you can sell an overpriced product (in Canada anyway, Americans are getting great deal on these rides), make all kind of profits, make the new owner spend thousands on aftermarket mods so the vehicle performs the way it should, and now (GM) can dis-honour the warranty. Works great in their favour. Right?

Not sure about the US but I paid $53k for a Camaro SS / RS (stripes, IOM, GFX), plus $10k in engine / suspension upgrades (CAM, rods, dual springs, ceramic covered headers, complete new exhaust, rockers, cai, springs, end-links, swaybar, chassis & strut braces, labour, etc......). And, I got a fabulous deal on the car, parts and labour.

Would have been fabulous if GM engineers would have realized they could have given us 200+ additional HP's by putting on some good parts.
Hey, even throw in a Maggie SC (instead of the crappy one they'll provide with the Z28), boosta a'boost, fuel pumps, meth kit, and maybe some higher flowing headers, and stroked the engine all for another 175 - 250 more hps's.

Problem, is people will pay $80 - 100+k, for a BMW or Mercedes and have much less vehicle, but will complain if they had to pay $60-70k for a superior GM product with all the fixings.

I'm with you; People like to make dumb comments about how GM used the best parts and so on when in reality GM put the parts that would work at minimum spec. so they could make a substantial profit on these vehicles and still provide better value than most other vehicles in the same or higher price range, and people will realize that value and pay the price their asking. Really, in the case of the Camaro it's a win-win for everyone.

Currenlty, I have 470rwhp., add on a new pulley +10, new heads +20 - 40, new SC 150 - 200, new gears faster accelleration, et al. It all adds up, and if done properly with a good tuner, works just fine. So, for about $70; I'll have about 600rwhp., and no BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, or any other EuroTrash overpriced tin can could even think about overperforming my car on the street or track; Um, okay, unless of course it costs $300k or more. Suckers. LOL

People won't pay $200 + labour for a new pulley, but they'll pay $120k for a Nissan GTR, and break the entire drive-train when taking off in launch mode.
You're going to need more than 600whp to take on a Porsche 911 gt2 RS buddy.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #27
immaculate chaos
Chasing the horizon

Drives: 2013 Freightliner
Anybody here have any experience with removing the power steering pump on the 5th gen?
immaculate chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #28
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
You're going to need more than 600whp to take on a Porsche 911 gt2 RS buddy.
Do you know what can be done to a Camaro SS with $200k (euros) in upgrades? Let's not even go there.
It's always been quite rediculous that euro's have to spend 5-10x more to get a eurotrash to compete with an inexpensive domestic musclecar, and they still break up on the track. Am I supposed to be impressed by that?