Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
thebluecamaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
Post Cam swap for 2010 Camaro SS?

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum.

I'd like to know a little bit more about cams. I know it works with valves and it opens them at a higher degree to allow air flow. I'd like to know can my or should my 2010 Camaro SS do a aftermarket swap. My car engine has 70,000 miles. More or less what kit should I buy? How much would it be total to install a cam kit. What needs to be considered to be replaced with my engine at such a high mileage?

I appreciate any advice and extra information on how cams work so I don't sound like a complete moron.

thebluecamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
There are several cam options, you should base your decision on what other type of mods you currently have or are planning in the future. Also, since you have a motor that has north of 70K miles might not be a bad idea to freshen everything up. Minimally do a compression test to make sure all the rings and stuff are up to snuff. A friend of mine picked up a 2011 with 85K miles on it and several of the cylinders were reading low. Some guys will tell you 70K miles is "just broken in" and other will tell you it's over the hill. If it were me and performance is your main goal I'd freshen up the top end and possibly everything with upgraded components.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
As far as cam package what do you want to change?

Cost depends on what you expect and what if any additional hardware changes need to be made.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There is a wealth of information on this site and the net. I would suggest you do a lot of reading.
There are a lot of variables depending on what you want the car to do and how large the cam.
If you have it done at a reputable performance shop, it's kinda second nature for them. They can also educate you on what other parts you may need.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Realistically around 4 grand most likely for a good dyno tune, and all the works in most places, your first post...LOL read up, springs need replaced on high lift cams like every 25k, I run special oil, you need to have the heads pulled the stock lifters and lifter baskets replaced, and good god most likely a catch can, with a higher volume oil pump and some upgrade to the rockers trunnions would be advisable and also the fact of it is a l99 automatic its a whole lot more expensive and more to replace...... There are down there places that do cam specials such as Tampa Tuning of Florida speed etc and one was amongst the cheapest to use. I would not recommend doing the cam yourself and tuning is required along with needed upgrades being headers and CAI usually first it adds up. Good Luck. And read up via the search function and the engine section.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Manual or Automatic?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Look up
Press "search"
In the drop down menu choose "advanced search"
Where it reads search by keyword choose "search titles only"
Type in the word "Cam"
Press "search now"
A wealth of information will be bestowed upon you as if by magic