Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
dadsz28

Drives: 5th gen pending
new member 5th gen question

Hi guys ,been reading camaro5 for awhile great site! I am real close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 2ss this weekend and have some questions for all you guys with 5th gens......I have plenty of experience with 4th gens as i had a 2000 z28 for 11 yrs and sold it in 2015 for a 2012 mustang gt (yea i know i went to the darkside) still regret it but it went to a good home. I had alot of fun with the car it was great to me had it running mid 11s for awhile before selling it.

The car is a one owner with only 7400 miles on it 2ss loaded auto l
L99 motor red jewel tintcoat. One question any problems with the dod/vvt system? How about the half shafts and rear, they cant be any weaker than the 4th gen 10 bolt huh? although i was very lucky with mine. I look forward to reading and posting on here as i was an avid member on ls1tech for years. Thanx for any input.....
dadsz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I think most people convert the L99 over to an LS3. Also if you put drag radials on it don’t expect the half shafts to last long... I’m sure others will chime in with more info...
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsz28 View Post
Hi guys ,been reading camaro5 for awhile great site! I am real close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 2ss this weekend and have some questions for all you guys with 5th gens......I have plenty of experience with 4th gens as i had a 2000 z28 for 11 yrs and sold it in 2015 for a 2012 mustang gt (yea i know i went to the darkside) still regret it but it went to a good home. I had alot of fun with the car it was great to me had it running mid 11s for awhile before selling it.

The car is a one owner with only 7400 miles on it 2ss loaded auto l
L99 motor red jewel tintcoat. One question any problems with the dod/vvt system? How about the half shafts and rear, they cant be any weaker than the 4th gen 10 bolt huh? although i was very lucky with mine. I look forward to reading and posting on here as i was an avid member on ls1tech for years. Thanx for any input.....
First of all, welcome to the forums! You'll find all kinds of good information searching through here and reading forums. A red jewel tintcoat Camaro is a beautiful car, enjoy!

As for your questions:
AFM/DOD: It is a rather debated thing to keep or eliminate/disable. Personally mine is still active even with long tube headers, and Solo Performance's Mach XL catback which can be rather loud outside when on the throttle pretty good and I think the car sounds great. When I do my cam this year I do plan on eliminating it. The AFM/DOD lifters can be a weak point, but there are plenty of people who get a substantial amount of miles out of them problem free.
Half shafts: Since you will be getting an automatic, you may be surprised to find out that less people have problems with half shafts than those with manual transmission cars. The reason for that is that you are preloading your suspension before launching with an automatic vs. hitting it hard from a point of rest with a manual. Eventually if you want to mod to big power (>600-700rwhp) you'll want to change them out from stronger ones, but if you stay in a 500rwhp range you can run them for a long time. One extra way to ensure longevity is to firm up the rear end with some aftermarket rear cradle bushings.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception

As pyroguy mentioned subframe bushings. I installed inserts (much easier) and they work well for me. I'm still on stock power with an LS3.
I also installed inserts on the front radius rod bushings. That added a lot of stability under hard braking and cornering.

Wheel hop is what will cream your half-shafts. I haven't had any with the inserts except on wet, cold roads.

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
dadsz28

Smile

Thanx for the replies guys just brought it home today glad to be back in a camaro again!
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Many had their lifters replaced per TSB.
Quote:
Document ID: 2477997 Page 1 of 3
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...7997&from=bcpi 6/30/2010
considered a short duration tick noise. If the noise last longer than 10 seconds, it should be
considered an extended duration tick noise.
Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is
noted during the concern, perform the following suggestions as necessary:
Check the oil condition and level. If it's more than 1 quart low or if poor oil quality is noted,
change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the noise. Allow at least a 2 hour soak time
between start ups when re-evaluating the noise.

If a short duration tick noise (less than 10 seconds) is randomly experienced on cold start,
updated AFM lifters will most likely be needed to repair the noise but they will not be
available until July or August 2010. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as
soon as they are available. If the noise occurs less than 10 seconds, there is no need to
follow steps 3 and 4.

If an extended duration tick (10 seconds or more) is experienced on every cold start and it
lasts long enough, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 to cancel each
fuel injector while listening to the noise. If the noise is eliminated, or greatly improved,
each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the
related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall clearance of that cylinder. If this does not
isolate a specific cylinder, continue with step 4.

If an extended duration tick (10 seconds or more) is experienced on every cold start but
the noise diminishes within a few minutes, determine if the noise occurs at cam speed (half
of crank speed). If so, isolate the area that the noise is coming from. If the noise is too
excessive or if the customer does not want to wait for the updated lifters mentioned above,
use the information below to determine if the suspect lifter pack is equipped with Eaton
lifters or Delphi lifters. Replace all of the lifters on both banks if Eaton lifters are present.
Replace all of the lifters on the suspect bank if Delphi lifters are present. The new lifters
from GMSPO should be Delphi lifters.

AFM Lifters:
Document ID: 2477997 Page 2 of 3
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...7997&from=bcpi 6/30/2010
1) Eaton - 3 Slots in Tube
2) Delphi - No Slots in Tube
Non-AFM Lifters:
1) Eaton - 2 Parallel Clip Wires Visible
2) Delphi - 3 Clip Wires Visible
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the
condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need
to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform
these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the
proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and knowhow
to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your
vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition
This is not a conversion to LS3 but a replacement of defective lifters with an improved design.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Congrats to another 4th gen and Ls1tech refugee! That color really stands out. I wish my paint was in that good condition.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsz28 View Post
Thanx for the replies guys just brought it home today glad to be back in a camaro again!
Congrats! That’s the color I would have if all my previous cars had not been red! lol.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #9
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Congrats! That's a beautiful car!
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Wow, I thought my 2015 with 9K miles was a Garage Queen! Beautiful car. If you ever tear it down, delete the AFM and cam it, look into keeping the VVT. Lots of info somewhere.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
I think most people convert the L99 over to an LS3. Also if you put drag radials on it don’t expect the half shafts to last long... I’m sure others will chime in with more info...
Back on my M6 car the half shafts were always a worry at the strip but I never had a failure

Launching with a clutch is tricky anyways, the auto cars will be easier on the rear end at the strip simply because you can load your rear suspension up before you even let go of the brake
Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Congrats! Looks beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Congrats to another 4th gen and Ls1tech refugee! .
Haha aren’t we all?
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
dadsz28

Thanx guys man i feel excited like when i first bought my 4th gen back in 2005! keeping it stock for now but sure that wont last long. guess long tubes and a tune to start.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Congrats & welcome! Looks like you found yourself a nice ride.