Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
TXhogghunter

Drives: GTO
Installed shifter, line lock, and cutouts...

OK, so finally got a little time to throw the camaro on the lift and get these boxes of parts off of my desk...

I installed the cutouts, really not that bad of a job, mine were a bit different because I have x pipe, but they fit nice, I also didn't run my passenger side wire over the trans, instead I ran it on the passenger side and under the carpet near the seat, I put a long lead on the switch and I'm going to machine a pistol grip handle for it with a holster instead of mounting it to the console or dash, I have a nice hurst pistol grip I can slice in half, then machine out the center drill and thread to put back together as a switch holder... (Or I could buy one with a 2 way switch lol, Ill see)...

The line lock was simple, and I wired it to the switch on the prndm shifter...

the shifter (I got the 2 stick and 3 stick, going to sell the one I like less, if anyone is interested), was a SUPER easy install, I also didn't follow the instructions for that, I used a spdt on/on switch and ran 2 wires to the column so instead of completely killing my paddle shifters, I can flip the switch towards the column for paddles or towards the shifter for the sticks...

Last thing I did was switched out the steering wheel, for a zl1 wheel and I bought the bezel from a 1le wheel so it still says SS (I didn't want my wheel to say zl1)...

Thats it, I only had so much time, so I still have to tidy up the wires and put the plastic back on the console side, but besides that everything is working...

I like the cutouts, BUT BY FAR the coolest addition was the shifter, it just feels right, lol...

Name:  IMG_0320.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0321.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0322.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0323.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  55146251348__5E54506C-9CB6-45A7-A3B2-0574E5CEADC9.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  98.4 KB
TXhogghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
TXhogghunter

Oh and I wrapped the exhaust and fuel lines with ceramic ti hi heat where ever I thought there was a risk of melting something, I wrapped that cluster of tubing and hoses also that goes down the passenger side... and the 2 switches I installed in front of the cup holders, the one on the left is for the line lock master (dont want to be locking the fronts every time I bump the shifter button) and the right one is the paddle/shifter selector switch... sorry the picture of the steering wheel didn't come through, but its just a zl1 with ss bezels, nothing special..

Also a note on the wheel, I thought with the flat bottom it would give more leg room, and it is the opposite, the wheels put together and you will see the zl1 wheel is bigger, lol.. no big deal, I like the look...
Old 06-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Just a question, I am not flaming. Other than looks, what does the two stick shifter do?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
TXhogghunter

I drive with one hand so would never use the paddles, this will let me drive with one hand and use the m shift function, so the first shifter is like your stock shifter, and the second is your paddles, pull back to go up, push forward to go down, I know it looks like a muscle car shifter, I always loved the hurst olds lightening rods when I was a kid and I know some people think the new cmaaros are refined sports cars, but to me this car is just a toy, I just got back from taking it to meet some friends and I had a blast driving it, opening the dumps, hand shifting it, its fun..