Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #15
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
Stuff is garbage no matter how you do it.. Doesn't hold up worth a sh$$.. Great look for a $1200 import car with a $ 2000 dollar stereo..

I respectfully disagree. Wheels might see a little extra action, so you should plan on doing it again when it has chips, but I've seen some really clean Plasti Dip on cars.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Its actually better to lay it on heavy so if you peel it off it will come off in a sheet and not in pieces
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Stuff is garbage no matter how you do it.. Doesn't hold up worth a sh$$.. Great look for a $1200 import car with a $ 2000 dollar stereo..
I completely disagree....I sprayed my wheels and rode on them for a year and I only have one tiny spot where it tore through and I think I just hit something. Got alot of complements on my car and it got me through until I could get my new wheels. Also have it on my lower bumber below the grill which is another area on the car that takes alot of abuse....not one issue.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
lou36

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
going to do my wheels this weekend. can you use it on the engine cover or is it to hot?
lou36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Plasti-dip is a breeze to work with, Just make sure you clean the wheels very well before hand, and once you mask everything properly just make sure you get a nice even coat throughout the wheel and you are good t go. Apply a few coats and if you cleaned the wheels well peeling it off is very easy and enjoyable.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #20
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
make sure to prep and clean your rims before using plast-dip!!! Pre dip as much as possible!!!
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
Well this deflates my self confidence in doing my wheels.... does it really look that bad? :(
Don't worry about this guy. He either did it wrong, saw it done wrong, or is the type of person that frowns at anything less than what they consider the best mods money can buy. For the rest of us, it's a simple solution at a reasonable price. It looks different than powder coating or actual black wheels, but it doesn't look cheap or stupid.

I plasti dipped my own wheels and many other members here have done it to their wheels. When done right, which is simple when you read through the tutorials here, it looks just fine. I personally suggest taking the wheels off and spraying them. It allows you to spray evenly from different angles and helps prevent it from dripping if you spray it a little too thick. Also, I like the look of leaving the center cap and lugs silver.

Here are 2 shots of my wheels dipped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou36 View Post
going to do my wheels this weekend. can you use it on the engine cover or is it to hot?
It resists heat fairly well but I suggest using an actual spray paint instead of plastidip under the hood. You don't want it peeling off and getting somewhere it shouldn't.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
Jesus...I have my exhaust dipped black with zero issues at all. It resists up to 265 degrees I believe. Plastidip is a great product when used correctly. You have to be careful, use at least 5-7 coats and let it breathe before installing the wheels. When I did I let them bake overnight in my 100 degree garage. Lol. No issues at all.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote