Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
camaroaarp

Drives: 2010 White LS Camaro
Dummy needs advice!

So, today I am changing the oil and filter on my 2010 LLT (auto transmission) and realized when dumping the fluid into the waste container that I drained the transmission fluid by mistake. There is no dipstick or easily accessible way to refill it. The car is still on the ramps, as I am reluctant to move it. I've changed the oil on this car a dozen times, but spaced out this time around .

Any other of you folks out there made this same mistake, and how did you resolve it? Sound advice is needed.
camaroaarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Hey I didn't write this all out, I searched because it's faster. You can get yourself out of this dillemma it's just not as easy as the old days.

Quote:
There is no dipstick/filltube.. Level is checked at the drain/fill plug on the pan..Maint schedule I think says at 50K.. Use Dexron VI transmission fluid only. Failure to use the proper fluid may result in transmission internal damage. From service manual Caution: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. Note: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps. Remove the trans oil level check plug (1) from the transmission fluid pan. Allow any fluid (2) to drain. If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip. If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid drips out. Refer to Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure (See: Service and Repair). Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown. If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of "friction" material in the bottom pan is a "normal" condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines. Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission (See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission). Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution (See: Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fastener Caution). Replace the trans oil level check plug and tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb ft) . Inspect for external leaks. Refer to Fluid Leak Diagnosis (See: Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Fluid Leak Diagnosis). Reset the oil life monitor only if the fluid was changed.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
camaroaarp

Thanks for the info. I have done some searching and there is nothing I could find on an auto, V6. My automobile service aptitude is limited to oil changes. I'm reluctant to call the dealer service department, but I might have to.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
CamaroinCLE

Drives: 2014 CRT LT
Look for a fill plug near the drain plug. Read some post on this elsewhere but no pics or good info.. Will keep looking
CamaroinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
CamaroinCLE

Here ya go...

http://www.anxa.de/camaro2010/werkst...leshooting.pdf
Old 01-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
camaroaarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroinCLE View Post
Thanks, pal. Lotsa info in there. Appreciate your efforts.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
CamaroinCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroaarp View Post
Thanks, pal. Lotsa info in there. Appreciate your efforts.
no worries, glad to help.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroaarp View Post
My automobile service aptitude is limited to oil changes.
You might want to back up that limit a little.

We all do dumb things now and then. It's part of the joys of doing your own maintenance/mods. Keep wrenchin' - you'll learn a lot... sometimes the hard way. Bet you won't ever make THAT mistake again.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote