Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
RedMuscle

Drives: 2018 Camaro Convertible 1SS
Convertible Top Fabric Problem

Hello all,

Even though I'm new here, I tried to look on the forum and on the web to see if there is someone experiencing this problem but maybe I'm not doing the right key word search to find the solution.

I attached some photos for the fabric wearing off in that specific line of area on both driver and passenger side, caused by some sort of tension I believe? Is there any sort of treatment I can do to prevent this from growing over-time or is there nothing I can do about it? it is not leaking but I am sure overtime if I continue to put the top down then it will create a hole at some point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry if this is a duplicate post.
Attached Images

Last edited by RedMuscle; 07-31-2018 at 12:38 AM.
RedMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I've not seen anything like that before. Sorry to hear that your top is having problems.

joe...
Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
I have a 2014 convertible and ZERO problems. Have a few friends that also have Camaro convertibles and no problems. Interesting?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
bigtwan25

Drives: 2011 SS
i have that issue my trim guy put felt fabric on the bars that caused the issue
bigtwan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
RedMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtwan25 View Post
i have that issue my trim guy put felt fabric on the bars that caused the issue
Can you please explain more? Did he have to remove the convertible fabric to cover the bars? Also did you find a way to treat the damaged fabric area to make it fade away a little instead of looking whiteish.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I don't think that you will be able to repair the fabric other than replacing the entire top. I had a '12 Convertible purchased new that the top rubbed against the back of the well when it was down and finally wore a hole in it, the dealer replaced the top under warranty as it was a known issue. Yours is different but a hole is a hole is a hole as they say.

Good luck!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Is your trunk completely clear of anything which could rub against the top when it is stowed in the trunk? It looks like it has already torn the exterior fabric and created a small hole. I’d try to figure out the problem before I let the top down again and then have an Upholstry shop tighten up the hole using a Sunbrella thread of matching color to help prevent the spot from enlarging.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
RedMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I don't think that you will be able to repair the fabric other than replacing the entire top. I had a '12 Convertible purchased new that the top rubbed against the back of the well when it was down and finally wore a hole in it, the dealer replaced the top under warranty as it was a known issue. Yours is different but a hole is a hole is a hole as they say.

Good luck!!
A known issue? I don’t see any recalls for it. And does the dealership deal with convertible tops? I remember last time I inquired at the dealer they said the Chevrolet dealships don’t deal with convertible tops and that’d have to take it to a third party which doesn’t make sense.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 AM   #9
RedMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
Is your trunk completely clear of anything which could rub against the top when it is stowed in the trunk? It looks like it has already torn the exterior fabric and created a small hole. I’d try to figure out the problem before I let the top down again and then have an Upholstry shop tighten up the hole using a Sunbrella thread of matching color to help prevent the spot from enlarging.
Yes the trunk is clear. The pictures I attached are taken from the front side of the top right on top of the driver and passenger doors in which when the top folds down, it is the part that is exposed and not folded at the bottom of the trunk which is weird because there is nothing on its way. So it’s probably happening during the process of the top going down. I guess I’ll just have to empty my wallet for a new convertible top.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMuscle View Post
A known issue? I don’t see any recalls for it. And does the dealership deal with convertible tops? I remember last time I inquired at the dealer they said the Chevrolet dealships don’t deal with convertible tops and that’d have to take it to a third party which doesn’t make sense.
I don't think that they actually had a recall for it. However, it certaintly was a known issue for the 2010 thru 2012 models and there was actually a class action lawsuit filed against them for it which they settled. The top was modified in 2013.

My dealer also farmed mine out to get it done, thankfully to a very good experienced shop. Then I traded it in for my Green Flash.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMuscle View Post
Call GM. Let them direct you to a DEALER that DOES have experience with the tops. And if your current dealer tells you they don't deal with tops, tell them you will no longer be DEALING WITH THEM. What a joke. They are supposed to be fully trained in what they sell. Find that dealership that has the experience and take the drive. That way GM can't say "Sorry, our people didn't screw it up, you took it to a third party."
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
RedMuscle

Thanks guys. So I found one dealership that could do it but I also made some research on this forum and found out some people actually replaced it themselves so I might dig more into that because the cost of replacement is outrageous. It sucks that I have to replace it for a reason that is caused by how the car was made.