Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #43
Cynthius

Drives: '11 2LT/RS (M6) & '85 Toyota MR2
I'm not sure if it's true anymore (or ever was), but when I bought my 2LT RS, I seem to remember reading that the governed top speed was significantly higher (as a results of the "Z" rated tires being able to handle it). Not a big deal for some, but could be for others.

Anyway, like I said, not 100% sure of that claim and too lazy to search right now, but throwing it out there for the community to confirm/deny.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #44
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
Baba. yes it a vert. the 20s are nice wheels by all means but until yesterday ni dealer wad willing to switch the tires to all seasons. i want a car that no hassle in changing wheels or tires for cild weather. the rs looks great. but will see what happens when i go look friday. its all bkack 2lt
Did you get the link for the price lists I sent you yesterday evening?
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Yes baba but doing this from phone as my laptop is in the shop i think lt is 155 with 19 and 20 and 18 inch wgeels st 118 per brochure on speed
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #46
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Yes i heard they are brighter and more expensive. do the halos have a seperate bulb?
Not positive, Kevin, but I believe the halos are a separate ring of LEDs (not a "bulb", per say) independent of the headlights. Don't quote me on that...
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
rdsesq

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
I really liked the RS 20's, so not feeling any need to change rims and HIDs are a must-have in my book. Although I might change out the bulbs for 6000k bulbs at some point. But, only when I do a full led light switchover. Maybe in a year or two.

As others have mentioned, the RS is a popular package. Trying finding a non-sunroof car in Cali. Not an easy find. When I got my '13 there were two cars with the color/options I wanted between Seattle and Dallas.

IMO, Modding is great and I have done a lot of it over the years, but, modding something you could have gotten as a factory option is usually more hassle than just getting the factory option. And the 20's are becoming a more common size than 19's and are going to generally be cheaper.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #48
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I really like my non RS car. I think it works with my look. At the last Camaro cruise I had the only car out of 10 that did not have the RS package on it. I was pretty happy with that, lol. Made mine more original...
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #49
rdsesq

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
Quote:
Yes i heard they are brighter and more expensive. do the halos have a seperate bulb?
Halos are a separate light entirely. They are either a string of small LED bulbs (more modern versions) or they used to be a gas tube, similar to neon light tubing. Installing those back on BMWs in the early 00's. They were very fragile required a special ballast, electrical voltage converters...bleech...it was a pain.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
the halo ring is a single LED directing light to a plastic ring, you should buy the car with the p zeros and no worries, I live in Oregon and someday will change to a all season with a better twice as long wear rating and have driven mine in snow and ice carefully and they will not crack in extreme cold weather which is a problem with the summer only super soft tires the zl1 or 1le come with that are not to be used in below freezing weather supposedly. The traction rating for the p zeros is excellent at AAA, the wear rating is only 220 meaning they wear out quick and you can get a all season with 440-480 wear rating at tirerack.com that will double the life with the same traction but will not be z speed rated for 180mph only y for like 155 mph like you are going to drive that fast........ Those are factors you should consider when you get other tires by comparison..... As I recall you should get tornado resistant tires in Kansas.......... And yes for the price the RS option is worth it.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
Concours

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
If the summer tires are your biggest issue with the RS package, work with the dealer to swap out the tires for tires you want. Don't let the tires keep you from getting the rest of the RS package.

This is what I did my recent purchase .. I got the dealer to swap out the tires for all season tires of my choice (Continential Extreme Contact DWS). At the front of the negotiation they were going to give me $300 credit on the summer tires and have me pay the $1,000 and change for the tires I wanted plus mount and balance. By the time I was done I didn't pay anything for the new tires or the mount and balance...in fact, they didn't even put the tires on the paperwork for the deal. I'm extremely happy with the new tires and the car handles great with them.

Another option, and one I did for two winters with my 08 CTS (the FE3 suspension comes with summer only tires) was buy a second set of rims and winter tires .. Blizzaks. I didn't like the space the wheels and tires were taking up in my garage so I swapped out the summer only tires for the Continentals and sold the extra rims and Blizzaks .. sold them for more they cost me new
Concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #52
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
The RS package, particularly on an SS is a rip off. My SS has it and although I like the headlights, I would have preferred a non-RS and saved some money since I bought mine outright.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #53
Cynthius

Drives: '11 2LT/RS (M6) & '85 Toyota MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthius View Post
I'm not sure if it's true anymore (or ever was), but when I bought my 2LT RS, I seem to remember reading that the governed top speed was significantly higher (as a results of the "Z" rated tires being able to handle it). Not a big deal for some, but could be for others.

Anyway, like I said, not 100% sure of that claim and too lazy to search right now, but throwing it out there for the community to confirm/deny.
So, I checked 118mph vs. 155...

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
I wanted the polished wheels which can only be added above and beyond the RS option. The wheels set the car off!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #55
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Ok thanks. yes most deslers wouldnt switch tires but this one claims they will and put the stock pirellis on one of their usef cars. si will see
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #56
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
How come no one mentioned the HUD????