Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
blackcloud

Drives: 2014 1SS, & 1967 427 resto project
My 2014 Was broke when delivered

Hi, My 2014 SS was delivered on the 11th. I've never purchased a new car before. Always let someone else take the deprecation hit. So I figured all the smells were new car smells. Untill last Saturday afternoon. I turned on the A/C and the antifreeze smell hit me in the face. Less than 500 miles on it. I have had it 1 week. and I find out my new car is going to be gutted to install a new heater core. New front windshield, dash removed, May need carpet, if carpet, seats removed. yea, I'm really happy.
blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Damn man that sucks!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
That sucks to hear. I cringe when I hear they're going to remove the dash because I doubt it will be ever good as new, but I hope for your sake they do a good job.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
You got your car during a sales hold?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Good point. Maybe they have the cure in Michigan. Tough story. Hope it has a happy ending. It has potential to be fixed like new but certainly understand concern.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Hope your car is fixed better than new and you can get to experience permagrin again

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
Hi, My 2014 SS was delivered on the 11th. I've never purchased a new car before. Always let someone else take the deprecation hit. So I figured all the smells were new car smells. Untill last Saturday afternoon. I turned on the A/C and the antifreeze smell hit me in the face. Less than 500 miles on it. I have had it 1 week. and I find out my new car is going to be gutted to install a new heater core. New front windshield, dash removed, May need carpet, if carpet, seats removed. yea, I'm really happy.
blackcloud,

Sincere apologies to hear about the antifreeze smell you're experiencing on your new Camaro. I certainly understand your displeasure. Can you clarify whether the dealer is diagnosing the vehicle? If so, it's great that you've sought assistance with them and I'd encourage you to keep us posted on the process. Feel free to message us if any additional questions arise .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
If antifreeze got into your carpet, make sure that the dealer replaces not only the carpet but all of the matting underneath. If they do not do this, you will never get rid of the sweet smell of antifreeze.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
You got your car during a sales hold?
Sales hold didn't go into affect until the 12th
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
That sucks to hear. I cringe when I hear they're going to remove the dash because I doubt it will be ever good as new, but I hope for your sake they do a good job.
Time to get the lemon law on your side, if it makes noise after returning to the dealer for the same issue over and over again can he get a new Camaro? o:
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Quote:
If antifreeze got into your carpet, make sure that the dealer replaces not only the carpet but all of the matting underneath. If they do not do this, you will never get rid of the sweet smell of antifreeze.
Request dealership photo document this process.

Sorry this is your first new car experience but it happens. Had a new 1996 Sebring LXI coupe which had a wind notice on right side of windshield. Windshield removed and resealed 3 times in two years. Third time was the charm as after 2 years Chrysler issued a TSB on the issue. Inconvenient yes, make sure your dealership gives you a free loner while your auto is in the shop.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
Sucks man, hope they get it done right and no problems down road.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Im confused. You said you smelled coolant....did you see any? Has it been to the dealer and this was the diagnosis......or are you assuming?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
blackcloud

Drives: 2014 1SS, & 1967 427 resto project
When I posted this the car was at the dealership and had been diagnosed. I got it back this last Thursday evening. My dealer has been great about it. They did everything they could to get this done, short of driving to Detroit to get the parts.They did a good job, Smell is gone. From what I hear from them its probably best I didn't see it during the repair. GM on the other hand not so much. My calls to them (James) because of a new car with this big of repair, and they need to do something extra. has meet with we will get back with you in 48 hrs and nothing else yet. that was a week ago. and i only get his VM now. I did get the car the last evening before the sales hold. As for when I was smelling it it was when I turned on the A/C after a few days, It was so bad I thought I was going to gag. lost the new car smell instantly.

P.S. The worst part of all of this has been my Wife, She has a 2012 Mustang.......She feels bad for me, but has had her fill of fun at my expense to.

Last edited by blackcloud; 06-30-2014 at 10:42 PM.
blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote