Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
Cam Motion

I'm looking to get a new cam in my LS99 that's somewhat compatible with my Procharger. I've been reading the reviews about Cam Motion and they look pretty solid. Any pluses or minuses about these guys?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I have nothing but good things to say about them. I wanted a smaller turbo cam because I was tired of the low RPM bucking. I called and talked to Bob (I think) and in about 10 minutes he speced me out a cam.

Upon install and tuning, it was exactly what I was after.

I called a few months later to thank him and ask him a question about valve springs. The conversation quickly went over my head but my question was answered.

I highly recommend them.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I have nothing but good things to say about them. I wanted a smaller turbo cam because I was tired of the low RPM bucking. I called and talked to Bob (I think) and in about 10 minutes he speced me out a cam.

Upon install and tuning, it was exactly what I was after.

I called a few months later to thank him and ask him a question about valve springs. The conversation quickly went over my head but my question was answered.

I highly recommend them.
Thanks, that's encouraging. Can you give me a 'ballpark' figure on just the installation labor costs? I already have the hardware priced out.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
blake-b

$0.00

I did it myself.

Most shops are around $100/hr for just labor. It is best to call various shops and ask them how much a cam swap (and tune if you are going to use the shop) is.

There is an EXCELLENT cam swap how to guide on this site I have used a couple of times.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

If you DIY, I do suggest one of these to help install the front cover:
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html

Well worth the peace of mind to prevent leaks in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
1fast
8.60 @ 157 @ 4200lbs

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
I have used them for many years cant go wrong
1fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
ZZZTOPZZZ

What I would like to accomplish is to ditch DOD and retain VVT if at all possible. Here's what Bob at Cam Motion offered:

Cam grind number LS VVT Chevy.
XA214/325-XA228/325-116+6.
Lift with 1.7 intake .552" / exhaust .552".
Duration at .050" intake 214 / exhaust 228.
Lobe separation 116 with 110 intake centerline.
Cam is $430 and will take about one week to make.
We have a DOD/AFM delete kit for $448 and it contains:
Head Gaskets
Crank Bolt
Head bolt set
Full lifter set
Lifter trays
Replacement valley cover
Exhaust gaskets.
PCV hose and plug.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
$0.00

I did it myself.

Most shops are around $100/hr for just labor. It is best to call various shops and ask them how much a cam swap (and tune if you are going to use the shop) is.

There is an EXCELLENT cam swap how to guide on this site I have used a couple of times.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

If you DIY, I do suggest one of these to help install the front cover:
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html

Well worth the peace of mind to prevent leaks in my opinion.
Blake,

Question or two: Is this your daily driver and if so how does it react in traffic? My ride only comes out on nice sunny days and is put up for the winter. I'm left wondering how it will get along with the Procharger. Also, did you do any work on your heads? I'm wondering if the only difference between the LS3 and LS99 heads is the compression ratio. What do you think?

Thanks for your input,

Tom

P.S. I just turned 78 last week and just getting my feet wet again. The last time I fooled with this stuff it was on flathead Fords - waaaayyy back.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZTOPZZZ View Post
Blake,

Question or two: Is this your daily driver and if so how does it react in traffic? My ride only comes out on nice sunny days and is put up for the winter. I'm left wondering how it will get along with the Procharger. Also, did you do any work on your heads? I'm wondering if the only difference between the LS3 and LS99 heads is the compression ratio. What do you think?

Thanks for your input,

Tom

P.S. I just turned 78 last week and just getting my feet wet again. The last time I fooled with this stuff it was on flathead Fords - waaaayyy back.
Hi Tom,

My car is not a daily driver. It is a 1400hp twin turbo 427 with CNCed LS7 heads. It could be a daily driver but I would get tired of stopping at the gas station every day or two because it run primarily on E85. But, I literally just sold it to a local guy so if I miss it, I can go visit.

After I changed the cam, it had much nicer low speed manners. The prior cam bucked quite a bit and made stop and go traffic just short of a nightmare. The cam and tune will dicate it's manners. Even a relatively big cam can be tamed by a competent tuner.

A procharger is a nice addition to any camaro.

The head castings themself are the same. Valves are different and the springs might be due to the cam difference. The L99 has AFM (active fuel management), VVT (variable valve timing) and lower compression. If it were me, I would do an LS3 conversion and get rid of AFM. You can keep VVT if you want though.

-Blake
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
ZZZTOPZZZ

Blake:

Thanks again for your input. What's your next project?

Tom
Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
blake-b

C6 ZR1
Old 09-28-2018, 01:42 AM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
But, I literally just sold it to a local guy so if I miss it, I can go visit.
Wow, first I’ve heard of this... enjoy the next project... I’m looking forward to getting my crate back up and running...

Hi Tom... I’m not as knowledgeable as Blake, but I pop into different threads now and again... if I can ever help, gimme a shout...

Robert

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 AM   #12
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Wow, first I’ve heard of this... enjoy the next project... I’m looking forward to getting my crate back up and running...

Hi Tom... I’m not as knowledgeable as Blake, but I pop into different threads now and again... if I can ever help, gimme a shout...

Robert
Hi Rob!

It was very difficult to sell it but I realized I was always looking for things to change or do to it even though there was nothing left to do. To me, that meant it was time to let someone else enjoy her

Not as knowledgeable! Ha! You're too kind! Considering you literally have the fastest 5th gen on this site...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Not as knowledgeable! Ha! You're too kind! Considering you literally have the fastest 5th gen on this site...
Ha I thought his car was bolt ons. j/k Best wishes blake-b on new project!

Quote:
After I changed the cam, it had much nicer low speed manners. The prior cam bucked quite a bit and made stop and go traffic just short of a nightmare. The cam and tune will dictate it's manners. Even a relatively big cam can be tamed by a competent tuner.

A procharger is a nice addition to any camaro.
ZZZTOPZZZ what he said. Not much more can add to that. Right Cam selection and Tuning is the Key.
Car here is built for 1/2 mile and Street Have very little to 0 bucking with a M6 and still get 19 mpg on Highway at 75. Wont talk about around town lol Car wasn't built for mpg lol. Best wishes

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
ZZZTOPZZZ

Rob & Blake,

Ran this by the 'Boss' yesterday, and yes, even at my age it seems you still have to get permission to play with the toys. I got the familiar eye roll like 'will this ever end', so I just sat there as she wanted to know 'how much this time' for the car that just doesn't get used very much. I said something about how her brother has 5 boats and doesn't use any of them very much. Bottom line is she's on board. The fellows over at Motor City Racing here in my town will be doing the job. It looks like a spring project as I never put my baby on a Michigan road in the winter.

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

Tom