Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
what about the ARK N-ll catback ? it sounds great as is imagine with SW headers and a CAI

i know this is dumb but is there a link or could some 1 enlighten me on the difference , long tubes, x pipe y pipe . shorty

i do have a clue on what that means or what they do
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

its confusing when people say get this pipe and that pipe.
im new to all this and im learning everyday
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast enough View Post
if its roughly the same set up , do you mind posting a vid of the sound ? it would be awesome if you can
I don't have a decent camera to film sound with.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #18
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
what about the ARK N-ll catback ? it sounds great as is imagine with SW headers and a CAI

i know this is dumb but is there a link or could some 1 enlighten me on the difference , long tubes, x pipe y pipe . shorty

i do have a clue on what that means or what they do
I love ARK's catback exhaust. By far the prettiest exhaust on the market. All mirror polished stainless steel-absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately hardly anyone will ever see it LOL.

I had my eye on this set up. It's the priciest but like they say, you get what you pay for.

My only reservation was how it would work with long tubes and how the drone would be. I do not like drone. Even my set up had a tiny bit and for me that was a sucks. Thankfully I have been able to eradicate just about all of it by adjusting the J pipes.

If you like that ARK get it and snag a quality intake and the the Vmax TB and RX catchcan. That will put you right around 2k and you'll have a very nice setup. You'll prolly pick up 20 or so extra HP and have a very nice sounding car. You can add stuff later as more funds becomes available. You'll rest easy at night knowing that you have amazing craftmanship riding underneath you car with that ARK.

Long tube headers are where your primary headers are at least 28" in length. They replace the stock down pipe where the factory cats are. Think of them as a one piece replacement for your stock exhaust manifolds and down pipe. In states that have strict emissions like CA they are illegal for street use. Boooooo. They generally offer more low to midrange power. Their length allows an elongated path for the gas to flow, thus allowing the gas to leave the cylinder with more speed because the gas has more time to gain velocity before it hits the collector. They definitely ad more rumble down low. When my car is idling it often is mistaken for a V8. They do add an element of rasp to the sound as well. Most are good for around a 20 HP gain over stock.

Shorty's or shorties are headers that bolt up to the stock downpipes and allow you to retain your stock cats. They make better power up top because the larger diameter tubes. I never shopped or researched them so I can't tell you what the gains are. On our V6's they do not make more power than the Long Tubes. They do not produce as deep of a tone as LT's but they also do not produce as much rasp either.

X pipe is generally right after the point where the exhaust pipes connect to the down pipe or Long tubes. They have a gentler radius, allowing for more efficient exhaust gas scavenging. Manaflow's X-pipe offers pretty effective noise cancellation so much so that many forum members end up removing their stock resonators because it's too quiet. They also provide better balance between cylinder banks which not only improves the sound but can also increase power.

Y-pipe merges two pipes into one pipe and if designed properly can improve scavenging.

Hope that helps.

Anyone feel free to jump in and add to or correct anything I've written here.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamaro5 View Post
I have the Stainless Works 1-5/8" Long-tube Headers with High-Flow Cats (and Silver Ceramic coating) along with the Solo Mach X-LLT cat-back exhaust and I will say it does sound awesome, especially with a cold air intake and a cnc ported throttle body, it just screams American Muscle. I'll have to put together a post on my setup (it's similar to SixJak's). As far as cost on the exhaust I bought everything brand new, $895 for the Solo Mach X-LLT and ~$1591 for the SW long-tubes (although if you go to SW's website you can look at how their prices vary depending on how you want yours made) and I spent about $500 on installation so I've definitely spent on the higher end for an exhaust upgrade but I like the way my car sounds. I'll have to see what I'm getting as far as performance, along with some good video of it on the dyno once the shop I got the work done at is available to do so, they've been very busy, but the performance increase should be good. The great thing about Stainless Works is that you can either go with 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" on the primay tube size of the long-tubes where as BBK is only 1-5/8" and ARH is only 1-3/4", so it all depends on what you want in the end but I think what has been posted on here should give you some good direction.
Looking forward to hearing this setup. My headers are 1 3/4" but are not ceramic coated like yours. Your set up sounds a tiny bit different I bet. Hmmmmm
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

" Unfortunately hardly anyone will ever see it LOL."

whats that mean ?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #21
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
It means that although it will look really nice with the finish on the metal, since the exhaust will be on the underside of the car, the only part people will really see is the exhaust tips. Although I'm sure if you take it to a car show and have a mirror and put jack-stands on the rear end I'm sure it would give some nice eyecandy for people to look at.
TexasCamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
or you could get some of these with an offroad pipe

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ted-Long-Tubes
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamaro5 View Post
It means that although it will look really nice with the finish on the metal, since the exhaust will be on the underside of the car, the only part people will really see is the exhaust tips. Although I'm sure if you take it to a car show and have a mirror and put jack-stands on the rear end I'm sure it would give some nice eyecandy for people to look at.

i didnt even think about that i thought it was becuz they are discontinued . thank you for the info
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

does ceramic coating matter ?