Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
andyc098

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Royal purple or Amsoil

What should I go with. I heard both were good just getting opinions. Also I just hit my 100k Im probably gonna service it my self because knowing the dealer I might have to chop an arm and leg off.
Radiator flush
Power steering flush
Brake flush
Trans flush and new filter
Differential flush
Spark plugs---what brand?? I know AC delco is OE but maybe a different option.
Any PVC fittings? Any small items I might need?
andyc098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
JOURDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
No one could answer this question.

This is a very complex subject.

However, ester based, long chain molecule refinement might provide the best protection by comparison.

Having your oil analyzed can provide some insight as to the level of protection and deterioration of engine components and level of contaminates.

Changing your oil more frequently has much more value than brand.
JOURDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Someone else may chime in but I have always heard it is a bad idea to flush an automatic transmission. It tends to loosen stuff up that ends up in places you don't want and causes failures. Just drain it and the diffy and replace the fluids.

I personally use Valvoline, but as long as the oil is a full synthetic and Dexos rated you should be alright.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I use Mobil 1 advanced. viscosity depending on the weather. using 15W-50 now, sits in traffic at around 105-107deg temps. Water wetter in the radiator. Redline in trans(manual), redline in Differential. RBF600 brake lines Dot4. never had to flush my power steering....Always had a manual, cant tell you on the auto though.
The plugs go with OEM they are iridium from the factory.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
I've been running Amsoil in a wide range of vehicles and am very satisfied.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I used amsoil but in all honesty oil doesn’t matter much if it’s full synthetic and frequent changes. Mobil 1, Valvooline, Castro’s GTX. Doesn’t matter. My differentials I went with Mobil 1 and AC Delco limited slip bottle and Redline D4 for tranny

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #7
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc098 View Post
What should I go with. I heard both were good just getting opinions. Also I just hit my 100k Im probably gonna service it my self because knowing the dealer I might have to chop an arm and leg off.
Radiator flush
Power steering flush
Brake flush
Trans flush and new filter
Differential flush
Spark plugs---what brand?? I know AC delco is OE but maybe a different option.
Any PVC fittings? Any small items I might need?
This is a loaded question. But since you gave a choice of two, I will go with Amsoil. Have heard stories about the Purple but never Amsoil

Every one has their favorites for one reason or another. I use Mobil 1 for everything. Always have and never had a single problem. My 1993 has been ridden hard and ,,,well you know the rest. Over 212,000 miles on her and not one single issue. So, that is why I stick with it. I could care less about what is popular at this time. If it works, I use it until it doesn't.

Spark plugs? You first need to find out what type your car requires from the owner's manual. Standard , iridium, and the list goes on. Also depends on your car and setup. Daily driver, weekend warrior? what? I personally use NGK as do a lot of other people on here. They will last 100k miles easy.

You are def. doing the right thing keeping up with the maintenance. Kudos to you. Your car will last a long time.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Personally I run Amsoil but we change it every 20-30 miles... unless it's just street driving then we might make it to 500 miles or so but thats horribly expensive at $15.00 a gallon and 3 MPG. So, I don't street drive very much and I change the oil before and after every racing event....

Spark plugs, I run NGK but for a very different reason....We change those every 8-10 miles depending on conditions...

If your OE plugs last 100K miles, Why change brands.... Slap a new set in there and run it for another 100K miles....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Amsoil was developed for jet engines in what, the 1950’s, when they were developed? Presumably these high RPM, (17,000 rpm) close tolerance engines, needed something superior. Fast fwd to the modern day and developmental cycle. Can’t go wrong with this product. In my opinion.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
There are no oils that will majically make your car go faster, longer etc, than other spec oils. Go with whatever oil you want as long as it meets the car spec. In the end, it won't matter. Just change it on the OLM schedule at the very longest. Lets face it, in another 100k miles, the lawnboy will be driving it, smoking, singing mariachi songs, with fastfood trash, beer cans, and used condoms on the floor, anyway. Use a good filter (Wix XP, Mobil 1, STP, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Fram Ultra Synthetic, other known good ones for synthetic oils)

Last edited by Spurshot; 06-30-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
Glock17

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue RS
Now that’s funny!!!!
True....But funny!
Glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #12
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
All my fluids (minus P/S, coolant/brake fluid) are Amsoil and I change at the OLM's reading. No issues. I'm at 80K and I'll either use factory replacements or NGK when it's time to do the plugs.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
92,000 Mile with Mobile one oils and Wix filters.
Change oil every 3,000-4,000 miles
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote