Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Catback resonator rubbing on tunnel brace

So I recently installed headers all the way back. Everything fits well but when I'm parked, I can hear a grumbling noise coming from under the center console area. After some investigating, it looks like the issue might be related to the resonator on my Magnaflow 16579 sitting right on the tunnel brace, causing it to slightly bounce off of it at idle. This only occurs at idle. It goes away when you give it some gas. I remember that the resonator sat pretty low when it was connected to the HFCs. So low, that the tunnel brace helped raise it up when bolting the brace back on. Any thoughts on how I should go about fixing this?
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
You can space the brace down with washers or spacers or you can simply remove it. I can't remember the last time mine was on.

There were also some places out there who made ones with extra clearance. I have a Halo Supercars one to clear my 3" exhaust but I forget to put it on.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
There are a couple replacement brace options. Stainless Works, MBRP and ARH all made one at one point. Most people just toss a few washers in there and call it a day. You can also put a dimple/dent in the pipe where the contact point is.

Another option is to loosen the entire exhaust and see if you can shift it around a bit.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Just a quick update to this issue. After more investigating, it turned out to be my headers rubbing on the passenger side frame. I thought about trying to shift the motor before dimpling it but took it to a muffler shop just to get a quote on the dimple and decided I'm just gonna have them dimple it for $20 and be done with it. A little bit of heat, two pry bars, and 10 minutes later, issue resolved. These are Speed Engineering headers. I paid a total of $216 for them after discounts so I'm not going to go through the trouble of uninstalling them and making a huge deal about fitment.

NOW....as for the tunnel brace, my resonator still sits on it but surprisingly, does not make any noise whatsoever. I'll take a deeper look at that in the fall when it gets cooler. Can't stand working on my car outside in this 90+ degree humid MN weather.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote