Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Are all catch cans the same?

I purchased a used 2011 Camaro with 50k miles and no catch can

Getting a catch can on is one of my first priorities but I have a few questions for the folks of camaro5

1.) Do I need to seafoam or anything first?
(I'm not a big fan of seafoam, perhaps just some gas treatments...)

2.) Are all catch-cans the same?
I don't like to put lesser quality parts in but I'm not sure theres any performance differences with catch-cans.

This was the one I was looking at, otherwise if there is a difference I'll probably go with elite.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-ALUMINUM...1ff5b5&vxp=mtr

Catch Can - Ebay
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
If you are really worried about the build up you can go to the dealer and get an upper induction cleaning done. I know some people have done it but I personally have not. Not sure if it really helps or not.

Not all cans are the same. A good can has a system set up inside that makes it easier to catch oil. I would recommend getting an elite engineering catch can as opposed to that. That can doesn't really look like it would work good honestly.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with two ports. These will capture a small amount of fluid that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy but the vast majority passes straight through and ends up where you don't want it. Be sure that the can is designed with an effective internal filtration and baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. RX Performance and Elite Engineering catch cans are both great options for V6 and SS Camaro owners and a new option will be available sometime this month. If you have questions regarding this or any other topic the crew at Apex Motorsports is more than happy to answer them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with two ports. These will capture a small amount of fluid that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy but the vast majority passes straight through and ends up where you don't want it. Be sure that the can is designed with an effective internal filtration and baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. RX Performance and Elite Engineering catch cans are both great options for V6 and SS Camaro owners and a new option will be available sometime this month. If you have questions regarding this or any other topic the crew at Apex Motorsports is more than happy to answer them.
Chase what can you tell me about this "new option"!?! Can you say anything about its performance with respect to the Rx and Elite cans? PM me!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
+1, I was wondering about this new option as well
Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Chase is buying more stock in popcorn!!! lol. Please tell us soon!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Chase what can you tell me about this "new option"!?! Can you say anything about its performance with respect to the Rx and Elite cans? PM me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
+1, I was wondering about this new option as well
The RX and Elite are both good catch cans but in terms of function and quality this new catch can surpasses them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Chase is buying more stock in popcorn!!! lol. Please tell us soon!
Should be able to in the next couple weeks.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Interesting... Well I'm convinced and will skip the cheap catch can.

I think now I'll hold out until the top-secret Apex can comes out..

Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Decepticon21

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6
I have the exact catch can you provided the link too above. It was cheap and it definetly is catching oil. I cleaned the port leading into the intake when installed and has yet to be oiled up again. So I say in my opinion its working good for me. I already drained it at 2000 miles an it caught good amount of oil. Im gonna tear it down to look in the valves at 6k miles an see whats up in there.
Decepticon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Not all catch cans are equal but all in all they function the same. The Rx can will be fine for NA (make sure it has zero check valves!!) but the breather element lets in un-metered air, bottom line. So wether NA or FI your fuel trims will be off a little. The Rx breather element check valve has not been tested whatsoever to allow a "measured" amount of air into the crankcase for the ECM for compensate. All air is measured via the Mass Airflow Sensor or (MAF). The PCV is meant to be a closed loop system for daily drivers. Racers and track peeps, different story.

I can't believe there are vendors on this website that are still selling Rx products.

The Rx FI can check valves do not allow enough air to be evacuated from the crankcase. On top of that, the breather element allows air in, but not out and you will have issues. Maybe not immediately but give it time and your fuel trims will be off and FI guys/gals will have oiling issues. Some NA owners have publicaly reported of oil in the intake tubing and intake maifold after adding the breather with the check valve.

You will be amazed at how much air at idle/city driving is sucked into the crankcase via the breather and you will be even more amazed at how much is evacuated from the crankcase at high/WOT RPM's.

I am a FI guy and can attest to the Rx FI can not working properly nor the breather element. Just my 2 cents. I hope the new can will not be a Rx product.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 09-01-2013 at 10:10 PM.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Get the upper induction cleaning done.

Dealer is fine or try a shop that uses BG products.
I didn't trust all the catch can vendor pics showing how dirty the valves and intake manifold get until I inspected them myself. Mine were very dirty. It's the price we pay for these direct injection engines. The upper induction cleaning noticeably smoothed out my idle and acceleration.

Install your new catch can immediately after the cleaning.

Install the 1LE separator if you want clean side oil ingestion protection as well.

Remember to empty your catch can!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
If you want the best catch can available on the best performing cars, check out Saikou Michi. http://www.saikoumichi.com/
Has the best catch system out there for both FI, non-FI, and many options so you can customize the can the way you want it. I would advise a ball valve drain for ease of draining and leaves the guessing out of if the drain was left open.
Check it out this is the best out there made for the best cars out there.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
If you want the best catch can available on the best performing cars, check out Saikou Michi. http://www.saikoumichi.com/
Has the best catch system out there for both FI, non-FI, and many options so you can customize the can the way you want it. I would advise a ball valve drain for ease of draining and leaves the guessing out of if the drain was left open.
Check it out this is the best out there made for the best cars out there.
I've had a tab with his site on it open for ~2 months now just can't justify swapping out my Rx can yet after I've removed the checkvalve from it. They definitely look nice, though!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I installed the Elite can because I find it's easier to empty.
Here's the oil the can picked for a 1,200 miles run from Montréal to Woodward Dream Cruise near Detroit.

Had a cheaper one before and it did'nt cath oil until I added some stainless wool into it. Loss of money for that cheap one.

Name:  catch can oil montreal detroit 1,200 miles.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  engine bay Elite 1.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  100.8 KB

Tags
catch can, catch cans, catchcan