Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2015 Camaro Fest (VI)

Old 08-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Unhappy Fest grime blues

Okay I know it is a balance between preserving your car pristine & having fun driving it. It is also a balance between having a race car & a show car. Well, I really have neither a race car or a show car. I have not allowed my car to be a garage queen. I drive her & have fun, yet she spends more time than I like I like sitting in the garage. But I must say having just washed the CamaroFest grime off Ruby and I am more than a little sick to my stomach.

I had her sooooooooo perfect before coming to the fest and no one even got to see her looking pretty. It rained on the way up then rained at NCM track. This year I did the whole routine of cleaner wax, paint sealer, wax, etc. Her paint was looking good. Now she is covered with really bad water spots all over.

I am beginning to wonder if I am getting too old for all this. As much as I have been all about no one touching my car to clean & detail her but me, at this point I could totally go for letting a professional really give her a good perfecting. I just don't have the energy like I used to. I almost wish I had let those folks who were cleaning cars in the parking lot clean her up but I was so skeptical of letting someone I don't know clean her under those lights at night. How well could you really see like that? And then I was going to race again the next day but at least that nasty NCM track crap would not have been sitting on her in the sun 2 more days & then in my garage another week etching into her paint.

Anyway, rant over. Just needed to share with folks who would understand.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 08-15-2015 at 09:05 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Fest grime blues

Totally understand. Friday evening I did a rinse less wash. It was driving me crazy car looked great before I left hit 4 hrs of rain then rain all dayThursday. Took mon/tues this week to get it back to presentable

After the rinse less wash in the hotel parking lot

Today

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I know what you mean sometimes you just don't feel like cleaning it. I still have some rubber left from the strip so I need to take a clay bar and get the rest of it off in just one area but don't really want to lol. Maybe it's not getting old it could also be it is a little warm out and you just don't want to do it lol.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
No shame in letting a pro get it nice and tidy for you. The fest was the first time our car has been driven in the rain in almost 4 years. I managed to commandeer a hose on Friday morning and wash it at the hotel. Sunday we pulled in the drive and I got to cleaning of the road grime.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
I don't know how old you are Ruby, but on my next birthday i'll be 60. And yes, i'm a woman. I went through the whole strip clay polish seal process right before i took the Camaro on vacation. When i got back i really had to psych myself up to detail it again. What I found was that since I had prepped it right the first time, the after trip detail was easier than the first.

The pressure we put on ourselves to maintain our beautiful beasts is great, but oh so worth it!

Btw, next year I will have it professionally done. And yes, I know it will cost around $600-$700 but if i only do it every other year and do it myself on the alternate years it will be an expense I can live with. I DD and i don't get snowed on, ever, but it is an outdoor car in So Cal.

Good luck to you guys who work so hard to keep those Camaros on fleek. You make browsing through Camaro5.com quite an inspirational experience.

As for Ryan, he's young and strong (kinda like Little Joe on Bonanza) and he's got his apprentice in training there to help him detail for at least 20 more years.

Keep up the great work. If the Fest goes to Vegas next year I hope to meet a bunch of you!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Yep I had help prior to the fest

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
This hot weather does not work well for a motivated detailing either.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
It took me a couple days but I got it back to CLEAN With 35,000 miles now on my car I'm still proud how it looks. I will always like the Rally Yellow color. But I think my next car will be WHITE :0
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Took the car to a detailer today for the 1st time as I always do it myself. Couple hours later he calls me to say there is stuff all over my wheels that won't come off and asked what the previous guy had put on them. I told him he was the only other person beside me that has cleaned my car. Went and picked it up to find my brand new wheels are trashed from the drag strip VHT. Not sure how I'm going to clean them up but figure they are drag wheels anyway and will probably never be perfect again.

Hope yours comes out ok. Looks like I have some work to do.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
My car looked great prior to leaving my house Tuesday morning. By the time I got to Conroe I had dirt and water spots on my car. By the time I got to Bowling Green it looked like my car had not been washed in a week. I ran her at NCM that made things even worse. I bought the waterless wash from Adam's which really helped but still after the drive home it looked terrible again. My car is a daily driver so she is dirty alot, and I am still fairly young. But it's still tough spending hours cleaning her just for it to all be torn up within a couple days of driving. I am still the only person to wash or drive my car, although the thought of having it detailed as crossed my mind.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #11
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
The Camaro that won the Adams award for "Best in Show" also ran the road course on Thursday in the rain. I didn't think I would ever see that car dirty but it was filthy that day!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
well my car too was spotless when we left and looked like i had gone mudding in it when we got there ....for the first time i paid to have my car cleaned it was worth it
Old 08-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Fest grim is gone... Had the novistretch scratches fixed... Like you Jan, little tired and had Showroom Fx here in Texas do mine...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Fest Grim was nothing. Got back, cleaned it and off on a 1800 mile, round trip to OBX to see the family. Just got back on Sunday, now you talking about needing a good cleaning. Going through the mountains at a good pace = brake dust and lots of it. So I will have to get an evening for a good cleaning before this weekend.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote