Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
But then again, if I have to explain it to someone, they probably wouldn't understand.
Nailed it!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #16
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Yes the 1le is not ideal for the strip. Who cares? Race it and mod it the way you want to. If I was buying or building a car for drag racing it surely wouldn't be a 3900 lb car. Lol
Enjoy your car and the learning process.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #17
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
People drag race snow mobiles. And that is a purpose designed and built ice/snow vehicle. I can tell you right now I purposely bought a 1/LE with the sole intent of making it a drag car because it looked better than all the other cars on the lot.

I was initially interested because of the 3.91 rear gearing, the appearance package, and well if I am spending my money on something Im picking the one I want. If you are really drag racing, no matter what car you have, your suspension is getting changed anyway (along with practically everything else in the car).

But then again, if I have to explain it to someone, they probably wouldn't understand.
Your right, its your car and you should do what you want. Just wanted to point out that the 3.91 gears offer no final drive ratio advantage because they are mated to a different transmission than the standard SS Camaros. What I am saying is it is not like putting a larger gear in the standard Camaro. Enjoy your car!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Uhh - my regular M10 ratio SS trans with had to shift out of 3rd right before the beams with stock 3.45 gears with just bolt ons. I don't know why everybody points at the 1LE and the MM6 ratios like they are some big punishment in the 1/4 mile. If you've got stock rear gears they are the SAME overall ratio in first and second, third is a little more overall ratio, and obvious fourth is quite a bit more ratio - which is a good thing, not a bad thing. 4.56's in a 1LE would really be a blast.

There is no getting around a 3 to 4 shift with either M6 car. Nor would you want to avoid 4th - an M6 car should be finishing deep in 4th, which is accomplished with better rear gear ratios, and potentially even running something like a 26" tire.
They are not the same in second. First almost the same (10.38 to 10.40 (1LE)), but second is 7.14 vs 6.95, third 4.93 vs 5.08 and yes, significant difference in fourth. Fifth and sixth are the almost identical (I know not an issue in the 1/4 mile). I think the big misconception is that most do not realize that there is a transmission difference in the two cars. They look at the 1LE as just having the larger rear gears, and thus a big drag race advantage.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #19
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
They are not the same in second. First almost the same (10.38 to 10.40 (1LE)), but second is 7.14 vs 6.95, third 4.93 vs 5.08 and yes, significant difference in fourth. Fifth and sixth are the almost identical (I know not an issue in the 1/4 mile). I think the big misconception is that most do not realize that there is a transmission difference in the two cars. They look at the 1LE as just having the larger rear gears, and thus a big drag race advantage.
You're leaving out tire size in your calculations. If you factor that as well you'll find that the regular SS and 1LE have shift points within 1mph of each other at 6500rpm in 1st (53mph vs. 52mph) and 2nd gear (78mph vs. 77mph). That's good enough for me to call it the same. 3rd the split gets wider with the SS going to 112 vs. 106 for the 1LE, and then 4th is wider still, with the SS going 161 vs. 138.

I agree with your summary though - most people are unaware of the trans ratio changes, and assume that the rear gear means the car is overall geared more aggressive. It's not, although for the purposes of the quarter mile the MM6 ratios in the 1LE are still superior to the M10 ratios in the SS - both have to go to 4th, but the 1LE doesn't drop as much revs on the 2-3 and 3-4, keeping the car up in the power better.

It's really all about spacing, the 1LE has much more even spacing than the SS trans, which has a bigger 2-3 gap and really big 3-4 gap. I'll say it again, a 1LE with a 4.56 would be money in an all motor car!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #20
gajagfan

Quote:
You're leaving out tire size in your calculations. If you factor that as well you'll find that the regular SS and 1LE have shift points within 1mph of each other at 6500rpm in 1st (53mph vs. 52mph) and 2nd gear (78mph vs. 77mph). That's good enough for me to call it the same. 3rd the split gets wider with the SS going to 112 vs. 106 for the 1LE, and then 4th is wider still, with the SS going 161 vs. 138.

I agree with your summary though - most people are unaware of the trans ratio changes, and assume that the rear gear means the car is overall geared more aggressive. It's not, although for the purposes of the quarter mile the MM6 ratios in the 1LE are still superior to the M10 ratios in the SS - both have to go to 4th, but the 1LE doesn't drop as much revs on the 2-3 and 3-4, keeping the car up in the power better.

It's really all about spacing, the 1LE has much more even spacing than the SS trans, which has a bigger 2-3 gap and really big 3-4 gap. I'll say it again, a 1LE with a 4.56 would be money in an all motor car!
Did not think about tires between the two cars, and it looks like the SS tire is about 1 inch taller than the 1LE tires. The shorter tire gives a slight gearing advantage to the 1LE, but agree that the closer ratio is the big deal here.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Did not think about tires between the two cars, and it looks like the SS tire is about 1 inch taller than the 1LE tires. The shorter tire gives a slight gearing advantage to the 1LE, but agree that the closer ratio is the big deal here.

I think we're on the same page here. I honestly don't know why they don't use those MM6 ratios in all the stick cars - it's way nicer. My guess is it has a lot to do with corporate fuel economy numbers.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #22
gajagfan

Quote:

I think we're on the same page here. I honestly don't know why they don't use those MM6 ratios in all the stick cars - it's way nicer. My guess is it has a lot to do with corporate fuel economy numbers.
You are probably right.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #23
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Ya bought the wrong car for drag racing , the 1LE is all about road racing . A ZL1 is what you want .
Old 07-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #24
ASimmons04

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Ya bought the wrong car for drag racing , the 1LE is all about road racing . A ZL1 is what you want .
We all know the 1LE is purpose built for road course but that doesn't mean you can't take it to the dragstrip. It's a front engine, rwd car...who cares?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #25
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Pretty sure any car could have been the right car for drag racing. And not everyone want a roots blower. So that would have been absolutely pointless to buy a LSA car to take the LSA off and buy a ls3 manifold and throw a Centri on it anyway. We just upset people that we're not using it for what its "intended" for. People say this as if SS guys don't have to change their suspension and drivetrain anyway to get what they really want out of their car.

Hence why a guy with an SS had 0 problems buying my 1LE differential the minute I pulled it out of my car.

I bought the right car because I had the money and out of all on the lot I liked the way that one looked. I knew it was track package, I also knew that when I switched up my suspension and drivetrain that I would be able to get money off of it because people switch to 1le suspension A LOT. (The guys that bought a v6 or an SS and get into autocross... would they be wrong too since they technically bought the wrong car). And the diff was a no brainer.

Sorry to hurt the purists day but there's a 1LE fast list because people don't only buy them to go around a track. (not knocking it, its fun and takes a lot of skill)

But thats like saying people that drag race their EVO are idiots. The car was made for rally events. Thats not what they wanted it for.

And if you want to get real technical lets look at Arun putting down a 10.5 in a 1LE.
Some weird snail with a belt on it | Tial Q Bov | CCP Jam Cam | Stainless Works 1 7/8" Headers to Custom 3" Exhaust | Alky Control Dual Nozzle| ProMeth Trunk Mount Tank | Melling Oil Pump | DSX Aux Pump | id1050x Injectors | McLeod RXT w/ Monster Billet Release Bearing | ZL1 3.73 Rear Diff | BMR Delrin/Poly Diff Bushings | DSS 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft | ZL1 Axles | Metco Driveshaft Loop | BMR Adjustable LCA's, TA's, Toe Rods | BMR Adjustable Sway Bar w/ Fe3 End Links | Mickey Thompson 305/35-20 Street S/S Drag Radials |
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
1LEric

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE
10.9s -11.0 all day in my daily driven 1LE with basic mods ����*♂️ so I don’t cAre what anyone has to say about it
1LEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #27
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Just seams like it would have been better and cheaper to get a stripped SS and go from there for a drag car.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #28
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
I dont know, a lot of the parts coming off my 1LE for my drag build is helping me fund other parts of my drag build since they are 1LE parts. Diff covers half of my wheel hop mods (just going to do everything at once while im down there minus springs and shocks thats for the winter). And then all the suspension stuff I take off is more money for other mods. I have not once thought about doing it a different way.

Had to have fun while it was stock. Ran a 13.0 with a cai and a can tune with an exhaust. Then I ran a 12.8 with just headers exhaust and a ported throttle body again on a can tune (it says CAI but I had taken it off and already sold it by that time) putting me at 7 on the 1LE bolt on list with barely any bolt ons. Mind you all of this being on BF Goodrich All Season tires. Spinning out the hole no burnout [wanted to make sure I babied that diff]. And now I'm about to get back a beast of a car.

My boy 1LEric is 13 on the m6 anything goes list which isn't bad at all for the basic mods he has. Im sure a lot of people would be salty if they came with us to the drag strip. 4 1LE's. 1 ProCharged, 1 LSA swapped, 1 ECS Paxton Novi 1500, and 1 All Motor. All street cars, all daily driven, and all putting down good times and having fun.

If we are to go by everyone else's logic. NOBODY should drag race a 5th gen camaro because you can get earlier body styles that are much lighter and have a lot more parts you can get to lighten them up. But I am perfectly fine with a flying refrigerator. I will hand out that gapplesauce all day.
Some weird snail with a belt on it | Tial Q Bov | CCP Jam Cam | Stainless Works 1 7/8" Headers to Custom 3" Exhaust | Alky Control Dual Nozzle| ProMeth Trunk Mount Tank | Melling Oil Pump | DSX Aux Pump | id1050x Injectors | McLeod RXT w/ Monster Billet Release Bearing | ZL1 3.73 Rear Diff | BMR Delrin/Poly Diff Bushings | DSS 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft | ZL1 Axles | Metco Driveshaft Loop | BMR Adjustable LCA's, TA's, Toe Rods | BMR Adjustable Sway Bar w/ Fe3 End Links | Mickey Thompson 305/35-20 Street S/S Drag Radials |
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote