Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I thought this line was interesting

"We aim to bring a range of powertrains and trim levels so people can see the diversity," Christensen said."

What do you think it means?
I think it means that they want to show people what the different trim levels and powertrain options are like. 1LS, 2LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS, RS package, track/1LE package, ... there's probably going to be slight differences between all of them.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think it means that they want to show people what the different trim levels and powertrain options are like. 1LS, 2LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS, RS package, track/1LE package, ... there's probably going to be slight differences between all of them.
Do you think there also may be a variety of power trains beyond your basic V6 and V8 choice?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Do you think there also may be a variety of power trains beyond your basic V6 and V8 choice?
Above a V8 at the reveal? I'd give it about a 0% chance.

No. Below a V6, well with the new LGX is supposed to be even more efficient than the LFX which would make it roughly as efficient as the turbo4 offered in the ATS, while making a lot more power. But the T4 takes premium compared to the regular that the LGX is supposed to use. So overall, I don't see much potential value to customers and therefore I doubt it would be offered. A new engine with more power would likely be less efficient so I don't see that working out. However, I won't say that it won't happen -maybe a 15% chance in my estimation

A naturally aspirated 4 as a base engine? I'd put it as more likely than the T4, because it is more efficient and can be sold at a lower price-point than either a T4 or a V6. That gives it a reason to exist, beyond copycatting Ford like a turbo4 would be. Perhaps a 25% chance?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #18
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
We should find out more at the reveal weather there is just the LGX and LT1. Sounds like both will be at the Camaro Fest. They might talk about plans for a LT4, Turbo 4 and maybe the LGW TT.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #19
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Last I heard (a long time ago) the 2.0T was still a go.

GM could always reserve that engine for overseas markets though. Or they might've just said screw it. We'll know for sure soon.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Back before the Saturn Sky went into production the top regional dealers in sales got to display one of the pre production cars for a day, you could walk around it and take all the pictures you wanted but they wouldn't let you sit in it. I drove to Knoxville to see it, then the dealer that I had my order in at got the same car a couple days later. The afternoon before it was to go on display the manager called me and said to be at the dealership at 7 pm. They closed at 7. When I showed up he took me in the back where they had the car and let me get in and start it up.... It was a good day...
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #21
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I thought this line was interesting

"We aim to bring a range of powertrains and trim levels so people can see the diversity," Christensen said."

What do you think it means?

I think it means there will be a large option sheet that dealers will be installing when they get delivered. Such as Tri headers, NPP exsaust, maybe a cold air intake, ect.

It seems to me that GM is starting to see the money potential of the aftermarket and want to get in on the deal. This way they can hang the warranty card over us and make us buy their performance mods.
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #22
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
LA auto show! Woo!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #23
swizz

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS Black
I think the biggest thing we are all overlooking is:

INTERIOR

What will that look like. It has to be a major improvement over the current 5th gen I would hope. That's the key to it all imo.
swizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
aschex

Drives: Sedan
Little off topic, but here is another article from Edmunds. This time stating that fans on the wait list will receive a sneak preview before the unveiling tomorrow? Not sure how much more we will see than what they showed on CNBC this morning.

Quote: "The response really speaks to the passion owners have for Camaro," said Todd Christensen, Camaro marketing manager in a statement on Friday. "I wish we could accommodate more people on Belle Isle, but we are limited by space for the reveal itself. For those fans on the wait list, Chevrolet will send them an exclusive sneak preview of the new Camaro just before the rest of the world sees it at the reveal."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2016...some-fans.html
aschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #25
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Above a V8 at the reveal? I'd give it about a 0% chance.

No. Below a V6, well with the new LGX is supposed to be even more efficient than the LFX which would make it roughly as efficient as the turbo4 offered in the ATS, while making a lot more power. But the T4 takes premium compared to the regular that the LGX is supposed to use. So overall, I don't see much potential value to customers and therefore I doubt it would be offered. A new engine with more power would likely be less efficient so I don't see that working out. However, I won't say that it won't happen -maybe a 15% chance in my estimation

A naturally aspirated 4 as a base engine? I'd put it as more likely than the T4, because it is more efficient and can be sold at a lower price-point than either a T4 or a V6. That gives it a reason to exist, beyond copycatting Ford like a turbo4 would be. Perhaps a 25% chance?
DG, I usually go along with your insight but this time I am going to say that you might be wrong. I believe the Turbo 4 will be the 'base' engine because it is the same engine in the Cadillac ats/cts. I really do not see GM using a NA four cylinder motor when they have the Turbo 4 already in place in the same chassis. We will see later today, enjoy the reveal.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:27 AM   #26
Amanofdragons

Drives: none(yet)
I'm glad hot August night's gets some love. Barrett Jackson. Humph. Last year was great. Gotta see a z28, see the first hellcat and the then new mustang. Now the camaros? Oh Heck yes. Plus thousands of great classics. I'll see if I can pull some strings to see if I can drive one.
Amanofdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
DG, I usually go along with your insight but this time I am going to say that you might be wrong. I believe the Turbo 4 will be the 'base' engine because it is the same engine in the Cadillac ats/cts. I really do not see GM using a NA four cylinder motor when they have the Turbo 4 already in place in the same chassis. We will see later today, enjoy the reveal.
Hey, don't trust me because I'm a mod ... listen to what I say and use your own judgment accordingly. Only once I am supreme ruler of all that is observed will I require blind obedience.

Anywho ... rarely do I get special insight as to what might possibly theoretically be on its way, maybe. You were right, T4 instead of NA. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

Though for the record ... there is a NA 2.5 available in the ATS. Not sure on the take rate vs the T4 & NA V6 is though.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-17-2015, 01:40 AM   #28
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
send one to Phoenix. i don't care which one.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote