Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Recommended Drive Train Upgrades?

OK, so now that my car is generating over 600 rwhp and I have the Richmond 4.10 gears I'm scared they're going to explode at any time. I don't plan to add any more HP, but I want to have confidence that my drive train will hold up at the track. So what drive train upgrades are recommended at my power level? This is what I was thinking.

Must Do
---------
  • Clutch and flywheel upgrade
  • Axle upgrade
  • Replace the Richmond gears (but I love the 4.10's, the M6 needs them IMO)
Should Do
-----------
  • Replace the stock third member with the Hendrix 9" IRS (I like this solution but the cost is borderline absurd)
  • Replace the two-piece drive shaft with a 1 piece
Does anyone have recommendations beyond that?
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
I If you keep the car you will spend more $ in replaces the stock pieces and paying for gear swaps than our 9 inch kit .If i can answer any questions give me a call 980-521-0722
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
From what I've read here on Camaro5, wheel hop can be a significant contributing factor to all these gears being destroyed (and of course the installation process). So I don't know what kind of suspension upgrades you've done, but if you're not already sporting heavy duty diff bushings, subframe bushings, aftermarket rear sway bars, trailing arms, etc., etc., I'd look into upgrading those items...
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderSS View Post
OK, so now that my car is generating over 600 rwhp and I have the Richmond 4.10 gears I'm scared they're going to explode at any time. I don't plan to add any more HP, but I want to have confidence that my drive train will hold up at the track. So what drive train upgrades are recommended at my power level? This is what I was thinking.

Must Do
---------
  • Clutch and flywheel upgrade
  • Axle upgrade
  • Replace the Richmond gears (but I love the 4.10's, the M6 needs them IMO)
Should Do
-----------
  • Replace the stock third member with the Hendrix 9" IRS (I like this solution but the cost is borderline absurd)
  • Replace the two-piece drive shaft with a 1 piece
Does anyone have recommendations beyond that?
PM returned.
I'd recommend the Monster Level 3, it drives great and has great street manners.

For the driveshaft, we have our 3.75" Carbon Fiber driveshaft. It's a one piece and comes with a billet rear pinion yoke that replaces the weak OEM yoke.

I'd also go with our 1000hp 4340 axles. They have a great price and have a perfect track record, nobody has ever broke one

If your wanting to get rid of the stock IRS, we have our fabricated 9" that comes with all 300m axles and stubs, complete center section and carbon fiber driveshaft.
It's a big chunk of coin but it's the best solution out there if you want to do it once and forget about it.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
I If you keep the car you will spend more $ in replaces the stock pieces and paying for gear swaps than our 9 inch kit .If i can answer any questions give me a call 980-521-0722
is your 9 inch available immediately?
fastfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Grinder, run that bi*&h the way it is! Wait, I just saw you were an M6, let me reatract that statement. Sorry Bud. I'd be worried too, Especially with your power and those gears and the stock clucth. Gd luck kid!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfaster View Post
is your 9 inch available immediately?

Seems like someone is gearing up for a run. Lets recap, The cage is in, slicks are in the UPS truck, new axles, and now the rear. I may need to hide a little bottle someone to keep up with the neighbors.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Seems like someone is gearing up for a run. Lets recap, The cage is in, slicks are in the UPS truck, new axles, and now the rear. I may need to hide a little bottle someone to keep up with the neighbors.
nah, i'm just doing these things so the car looks good at the car shows
fastfaster is offline   Reply With Quote